Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,556,524 times

Advertisements

What is the rage with organic. My parent's did not eat organic both smoked cigarettes, one still does, and they made it to 72. I think organic is overhyped sure it's better to eat but there are plenty of folks alive today in the 80's that never ate organic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,053,688 times
^^^ I don't think organic is really necessary but a lot of people eat processed foods like Rice-a-Roni and call it home cooking. It's the processed and fast foods that are making people ill. Too much sodium, sugar, and weird chemicals in most of the boxed/canned convenience foods. My grandparents ate real food. They used butter, eggs, and they ate meat. They didn't eat organic but they also didn't have the majority of their foods come out of boxes and cans either. They also didn't drink much sodas and other highly sweetened beverages. It was mostly water, tea, coffee and milk to drink. Juices were freshly made and your portion was small because it took quite a bit of fruit and effort to make juice. Now people drink fake juice and sodas instead of those other things and don't even realize that they are drinking up tons of calories. I was doing nutrition teaching with an obese patient. We calculated that she was taking in about 900 extra calories daily because she loves orange juice and ice tea from cans and the powdered stuff you make at home.

She didn't really want to hear it but that was her entire weight problem right there.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:30 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,402,797 times
During the week I watch my diet and eat very well.
I'm a distance runner and marathoner and push about 60 miles a week during race training.
On the weekends it's a whole different story.
I'll eat whatever I want to in whatever volume I want then come Monday it's back to my strict diet.

The real funny thing is while I'm reading and commenting on this thread I'm eating a Double Whopper with cheese because after all it is the weekend.

Old 03-30-2013, 06:37 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,106,713 times
Last year the results of a large study that compared organic produce to non-organic produce showed that both had the same nutritional value and both tasted similar - the difference: Pesticide levels - the organic produce had substantially less pesticide residue.

I will take my produce with as little pesticide residue as possible thank you very much.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:55 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,095,113 times
Vaccines, antibiotics, transplants, etc. We are living longer because medical science has made it so.

I think we care more about what we eat now, because we have to. "Our ancestors" were more active physically, so they were in better physical shape. We are very sedentary creatures now - so we are not in good shape. Also, food itself has changed drastically, and the way we eat is vastly different.

You might like to read Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Jane Goodall also has written about the topic. Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating: Jane Goodall, Gary McAvoy, Gail Hudson: Amazon.com: Books I read her book Harvest for Hope and it gives insight into why "mindful eating" is a good thing.

Old 03-31-2013, 02:43 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,752,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
For more information on the example I provided, read "Eating Animals" by Jonathan Safran Foer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
You might like to read Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan. Jane Goodall also has written about the topic. Harvest for Hope: A Guide to Mindful Eating: Jane Goodall, Gary McAvoy, Gail Hudson: Amazon.com: Books I read her book Harvest for Hope and it gives insight into why "mindful eating" is a good thing.
All three books are next to each other on my shelf. They're my go-to guide for facts when people start rationalizing our current food system's ills.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,378,476 times
Originally Posted by Charles22
If these foods were really as dangerous as you people think then you would see lifespans declining, not increasing.

Quote:
Great point, Charles!
No. Lousy point. There's a little something called advancements in medicine. Perhaps you've heard of it?

Old 03-31-2013, 04:15 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,501,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And the same economy has a flourishing "natural foods" market sector for those who choose it.
realistically many have no choice.
urban areas do not give the proper space or lives for people to cultivate their own food. as silly as it sounds to some we never bought anything but the odd side of beef from our local butcher growing up because we had the ability to grow our own perishables for pennies a year. others are not that lucky, they have a choice between cheap ready made processed foods or overpriced perishables.

both are capitalizing off one another. there really isnt any other viable options out there for a very large and growing section of society

Old 03-31-2013, 01:11 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,034,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
For many people, it's not a new thing.

For some people, it's just now becoming apparent that our food supply has become entirely contaminated by chemicals, additives, preservatives, hormones, etc...used with nearly reckless abandon.

Information is more easily acquired and disseminated with the advent of the internet. I think people are taking the opportunity to learn about a lot of things.
Yes, Stan.
There are now a lot of experts who say people in Medieval times, if you survived infancy, had a much longer life than we had once thought. So the people with weak genes just died off early, skewering the statistics, leaving the healthier ones to survive much longer and to reproduce. Now, we seem to be more sickly, not only because of our polluted environment and the pollutants that our food sources are treated with; but we, ourselves, are probably genetically weaker than our ancestors, as well.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 19,034,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
The meat we eat is full of hormones and antibiotics, the fish we eat is loaded with mercury, the fruits and vegtables we eat are contaminated with pesticides. Why shouldn't we be concerned? We are being poisoned. The government will be quite happy if we die the same day we qualify for Social Security, if not sooner.
This is a very good reason why we should have a federally funded health plan instead of the private one that we are getting.

Countries in which the government and taxes are paying for health care are much more attentive to the food supply and the environmental and industrial pollutants because the government has to foot the bill for the disease and disorders that they cause.

In our system there are rewards to be gained by the medical establishment when we become ill, and because we become so ill we each must pay for insurance. The payment of how many bureaucrats' salaries does that entail?

Some countries, like Germany, test alternate health methods and doctors will recommend those first.

England tests every head of cattle for mad cow. When they find any disease in a cow they discard the entire carcass.

There is no perfect solution, but ours seems to encourage the greatest amount of money to be passed through the greatest number of hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink