Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 04:28 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,162,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I can't say that I love it. There's something about the grittiness that turns me off after a couple of dips.

BUT!

I made a discovery recently: edamame hummus. It's made with edamame instead of chickpeas and the difference in texture is noticeable: it's much smoother (less gritty).

And, no, I'm not anti-chickpea. As a matter of fact, I had chickpeas in my salad today. Yum, yum.
Couldn't rep ya yet! I love the sound of that!! I will have to look for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 04:28 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,179,731 times
Love love love hummus.

As already stated it is crazy-cheap to make, and adding things like roasted peppers, eggplant and other vegetables or spices makes it a very customizeable food.

It is one of my lunch go-to meals.

Edamame hummus has piqued my interest!

Old 05-01-2013, 04:38 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,478,841 times
I read online that if you remove the outer skins of the chickpeas, the result is smoother. I tried it once and it was not as time consuming as it sounds and the texture was much smoother. I am guessing by deleting the skins you remove some valuable fiber so I skip that step. I have also seen recipes that use chickpea flour instead of whole beans - I am not sure if that would be smoother as he flour has a bit of grit to it as well.

It really is just a bean dip and you can use what ever beans you like. I have made it with cannellini beans, black beans and kidney beans but I do like the flavor of chickpeas best.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:00 PM

4,491 posts, read 4,994,271 times
We have some friends who call it "Jesus dip"

I don't like when my hubby eats it......
I usually tell him to brush his teeth before I kiss him!!!

I like it a little.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:28 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,739,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Hummus is extremely easy to make at home at a fraction of the cost you pay at the store. I just read article about all the additives store bought hummus contains another advantage is that you control what is on it. That way you can keep it healthy and create any flavor you want to. I make it at least once a week in our house .
Yeah, definitely. Hummus is crazy expensive in the grocery store considering that dry chickpeas are dirt cheap. You can make a gallon of hummus for what a 3oz container costs.

I find the ones in the grocery store to be really light on flavor too.

Now when is America going to catch on to baba ganush? Mmm...I prefer it to hummus, though I like them both.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:39 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,241,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Good stuff. I like chick peas on my salads. Nice and filling and healthy too. And you?

Well that's good news! Less tobacco and more chickpeas! We always have hummus in our home. It's a staple.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:48 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,587,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I hate all forms of chick peas - won't touch them.
Uh oh! Hope Harry Chickpea doesn't see this!

Years ago, a coworker from Egypt would bring in homemade hummus for everyone. Yummm! It was addicting! I like the hummus I get in the store, especially roasted red pepper.

Trouble is, much as I like hummus, I prefer sour cream and onion dip. Oh well.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,560,305 times
I like Trader Joe's Roasted Red Pepper Hummus - with a bit of extra olive oil added.

Now I think I will pick some up next time I am there, as this thread is making me crave hummus.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:19 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,460,081 times
My brother is a hummus addict. At least 15 years ago he raved about it and eventually I tried it and it was no different from plain ole bean dip, which isn't a favorite by any means. Haven't had it since.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,903,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
...Now when is America going to catch on to baba ganush?...
Please - let's not add a mashed eggplant dish to the mashed legumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink