Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 08:09 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The only "Tuna Rockefeller" I found on line called for fresh tuna fish cut in chunks.....but the recipe was simple and could be adapted for canned tuna......It is essentially just tuna and creamed spinach and cracker crumbs......so I would butter a pie plate, put drained white tuna on it cover with frozen creamed spinach and sprinkle with parmagian and cover with buttered ritz cracker crumbs perhaps seasoned with some garlic powder and parsley and perhaps a little mozzerella or cheddah cheese over that and bake till hot and bubbly.....about 30 mins at 325*.

That sounds a lot less healthy than mom's version, so probably better.
Mom's was tightly bound so most probably had an egg or two in it, and regular frozen spinach not creamed, and then a generous sprinkling of grated sharp cheddar on top. I don't remember any crumbs.

I guess she made it up! She said it with such conviction that I assumed everybody was eating it!!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,248,873 times
Good Friday Morning Everyone!

Lacey, I am so happy that the news is good for Mr. L. Be careful driving this morning.

Yesterday's dinner was interesting. dh came home with a raging headache, I think b/c I had taken all fat out of his diet, so I dipped boneless chicken breasts in egg whites and Panko (mine was with Pecorino Romano cheese, Panko, herbs & spices) melted a tiny bit of unsalted butter and spread on the top of the chicken, baked at 375 for 18 mins. Nice and tender and golden. Steamed organic beets and greens and rice.

I am so used to making elaborate meals that this was just boring. Trying to make bland meals for him is very difficult. I look in my pantry and slide out the shelves and there is so very little that he can eat. I am going to make that zucchini soup for lunch today. I'll let you know how it is.

Dinner tonight, something with Talapia.

We are sup. to find out the results from his test today, the phone call can't come too soon.

Have a good morning. kelsie

Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,321,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
DKVA all I can think of is a cold tuna/noodle salad using small shells, onion, celery,peas, mayo.
Yes we love that in the summer. Too cold here to think of a cold salad for a main meal.

[quote=joey2000;7645684]What kind of odd stores do you have there? All they have is tuna and tilapia? What about salmon, flounder, etc etc etc.

We do also have catfish and salmon. No flounder,sword fish or tuna not sure about halibut.

[quote=Debsi;7646661]A dish that was a regular part of my mom's rotation is Tuna Rockefeller. I assume (based on the name) that that is a recipe you could find by searching the web. It was cooked in a pie plate, had no crust, and had frozen spinach in it. I think it was topped with grated cheddar and paprika. To be honest, not one of my favorites... but warm, comforting, and edible.

Sounds yummy-will have try

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
DKVA- I love english muffins with tuna and tomato and cheese, broiled until the cheese is all melted and they're hot...kind of like little tuna pizzas.
Another great idea with a nice bowl of soup.

[quote=Katsmeeyow;7647618]We used to make an appetizer type sandwich with tuna and cream cheese - sounds weird, but was really good!

A lot of times weird turns out really great.

Quote:
The only "Tuna Rockefeller" I found on line called for fresh tuna fish cut in chunks.....but the recipe was simple and could be adapted for canned tuna......It is essentially just tuna and creamed spinach and cracker crumbs......so I would butter a pie plate, put drained white tuna on it cover with frozen creamed spinach and sprinkle with parmagian and cover with buttered ritz cracker crumbs perhaps seasoned with some garlic powder and parsley and perhaps a little mozzerella or cheddah cheese over that and bake till hot and bubbly.....about 30 mins at 325*.

Another one to try!

Or you could make fried tuna cakes.....a variation of crab cakes.

to a can of tuna add 1/4 cup each of chopped onion, bell pepper, and bread crumbs (either seasoned bread crumbs or add a little Old Bay Seasoning or garlic or onion powder) add a beaten egg and mix well and form into 2 cakes and fry in a mix of oil and butter till brown...turn and brown other side. Could serve with a mixture of a little mayo and chopped onion and sweet pickle relish and perhaps a chopped hard boiled egg.....or a commercial tartar sauce, or chili sauce or ketchup. (This recipe could be doubled or tripled easily; and why couldnt you use canned salmon or crab meat?)

OR

WE love to quickly cook some tuna in garlic butter and olive oil mix, add parsley and serve over spaghetti. serve with parmagian cheese. Some chopped black olives would work in the tuna and butter mix....and if it seemed too dry...a little chicken broth or some of the water from the can of tuna.....play that by ear.
Yes both are really good have done both

Thanks again everyone for all the great ideas-hard to choose.

Can always go to Papa Murphy's for take and bake veggie delite pizza

Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM

48,136 posts, read 22,007,656 times
DP suggested that we go out for supper tonight.....to try out a local resturant that has a double and a triple lobster special ! You know I am up for that. From what I hear it has really fresh seafood...basic....very good.....casual atmosphere....satisfying locals for years.....I may get the lobster or I may get a fisherman's platter combo plate of fried clams, scallops, haddock etc. Happy happy joy joy!

Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM

77 posts, read 172,270 times
Pasta with beef...

Pasta with Beef* Ingredients
  • 1/2 bell pepper, green
  • 1 clove garlic
  • 3 oz. of lean, ground round beef
  • 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. Italian seasoning
  • 1/4 tsp. dried parsley
  • 1/2 medium fresh tomato
  • 1/3 tbsp. olive oil
Directions:
Prepare pasta according recipe provided; drain and set aside. Angel Hair pasta or any thin spaghetti works well here. Chop tomatoes and bell pepper and mince garlic. Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Sauté garlic, tomatoes and bell pepper 4-5 minutes or until bell pepper is slightly softened. Add ground beef and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Add cooked pasta along with oregano, Italian seasoning and parsley. Cook for about 2-3 minutes more and serve.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM

2,480 posts, read 5,321,336 times
Quote:
DP suggested that we go out for supper tonight.....to try out a local resturant that has a double and a triple lobster special ! You know I am up for that. From what I hear it has really fresh seafood...basic....very good.....casual atmosphere....satisfying locals for years.....I may get the lobster or I may get a fisherman's platter combo plate of fried clams, scallops, haddock etc. Happy happy joy joy!
OMG We are dying for seafood-so far have only seen Red Lobster but will keep searching . We miss our native LI/NY for the great seafood restaurants! Imagine a local supermarket here -$22# for 2 4 oz frozen tails

Old 02-27-2009, 09:51 AM

12,015 posts, read 11,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
If you were referring to me, and the heavenly aroma of lemony/garlicky lamb wafting throughout my entire house, mmmmmmmmm, aaaaaaaaah, then ... anytime. It's a nice big leg! Lots of potatoes, poaching in that yummy concoction of lemon, wine, garlic, oregano and lamb jus.

Would you like a big Aussie red from South Australia, like Ingoldby's Cab Sav, or a cheeky little Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc from the Marlborough region with your lamb?
Yes YOU! LOL Must I choose?????
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Jax 10" here and bless our lawn guy he plowed us out and shoveled during the night. Now they say snow Tues/Weds/Thurs and ice Fri. "Calgon take me away!"

Off to hosp shortly, not sure if it's welcome home day.
Wow, Lacey, so much snow - I am just glad your lawn guy is taking care of you! Hope DH can come home! Fingers crossed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
TGIF

Opening night went pretty well -- some characters forgot a few lyrics but oh well. They came through on the dancing part and that's what I am in charge of so I was happy.
Congratulations! Way to go!!
Quote:
Oh my! Bring me a doggy bag?????? Pretty please???

Old 02-27-2009, 11:23 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,387,901 times
Today we had pasta and tomatoe sauce - quick and easy.

Tomorrow I'll have more time to cook and I planned something like Hungarian kettle goulash. Here's the recipe for 4 portions:

1lb beef
2 cups meat broth
1 cup dry white wine
3 pieces leek
1lb potatoes
5 carrots
1/2 a celery
5 tomatoes
1/2 tea spoon marjory / basil / thyme
2 table spoons chive
salt + pepper
1 oz clarified butter

Beef in large cubes has to be fried in hot clarified butter. Pour half of the broth and wine over it and let it simmer for 45 mins.
Potatoes and celerie in cubes, leek in rings, carrots in slices and tomatoes in cubes have to be added after the 45 mins as well as the rest of the wine and broth. Add all the herbs and simmer for another 30 mins. Use the chive for decoration on the plates.

Let's see if it's tasty.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:31 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,945,470 times
Sounds very good Miguel's mom!!

I am having a sudden craving for Indian...gonna have to get some for lunch tomorrow because I can't tonight. I am going to get some vegetable samosa and pakora, garlic naan, and then either butter chicken or saag paneer. Can't wait!

Old 02-27-2009, 11:38 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,607,165 times
I'm not sure yet as to what we will do...Been a long time since we went out anywhere...We may go out tonight or wait and do a lunch tomorrow...Depends on how the wife feels and her choice when she gets off today...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink