Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 05:23 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times

Advertisements

I suspect that those that eat these types of meals care little about what it does to their health and will continue to do so. Seems that this meal contains (3) days worth of recommended sodium.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,619,729 times
I actually like the place.
Don't eat it often, maybe once or twice a yr, but I like it. Nothing better than those extra crispies mixed in with the slaw.

I like the clams, fish, shrimp, fries, hushpuppies, slaw, crispies. mmmmmmmmmm

Old 07-05-2013, 09:02 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
This one: moderation in everything.

I've read KFC is loaded with man-made MSG. Something some people have to steer clear of, immoderately.
Moderation? It has 33 grams trans fats.

Is heroin ok in moderation? Unprotected sex with prostitutes? Russian roulette? Punching yourself in the face? Jumping off 1-story buildings?

When I saw these types of comments on the NPR story I was freaking dumbfounded.

Ok, you want to continue to poison yourself with completely unnecessary trans fats for some reason, go ahead.

But to practice "moderation" you should only eat 1/10th of this meal every few weeks.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM

709 posts, read 955,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post

Is heroin ok in moderation? Unprotected sex with prostitutes? Russian roulette? Punching yourself in the face? Jumping off 1-story buildings?

Ok, you want to continue to poison yourself with completely unnecessary trans fats for some reason, go ahead.

But to practice "moderation" you should only eat 1/10th of this meal every few weeks.
So you are comparing eating a large meal at Long John Silver's with shooting heroin? That is ridiculous! A healthy body can process a meal like that with no lll effects. Every day? No. But occasionally, yes
A friend shot heroin once and became addicted----way different scenarios.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:10 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadejay26 View Post
So you are comparing eating a large meal at Long John Silver's with shooting heroin? That is ridiculous! A healthy body can process a meal like that with no lll effects. Every day? No. But occasionally, yes
A friend shot heroin once and became addicted----way different scenarios.
What's ridiculous is claiming that 33 grams of trans fats can be eaten in moderation. 33 grams of trans fat in one sitting is absolutely, completely antithetical to the concept of moderation.

Would you say that it's ok to drink a 256-ounce Super Mega Gulp Mountain Dew "in moderation" every once in a while? Of course not, that's not moderation. Ok to drink a 30-pack of Natty Ice every once in awhile? That's not moderation either. Neither is a meal containing 33 grams of trans fats.

For a 2,000 calorie diet that's 15% of daily total energy intake and about 50% of fat intake. If you eat this meal once per week, and completely avoid any trans fats whatsoever the rest of the week, it's over 2% of calories. 2% of calories from trans fats is associated with a doubling of the risk of heart disease.

Let's say you eat this meal once per month and that the association is pretty linear across intake levels. Once per month might be expected to increase your risk of heart disease by up to 25%. Not to mention, the strong association with diabetes.

There is also the primate feeding study where trans fat consumption was associated with greater weight gain independent of caloric consumption. It was also associated with increased intra-abdominal fat and increased insulin resistance.

Other studies have shown an association with liver dysfunction, infertility, increased aggression, impaired memory and learning, depression, obesity, and other things.

A healthy body cannot process this meal "with no ill effects." That is absolutely, unequivocally not true.

This meal won't kill a healthy person from an acute reaction, but it is doing real damage to your body whether you can see it occur in real time or not, and it's completely unnecessary.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:19 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I have been eating LJS for 6 weeks twice a week, over and done now..

I absolutely loved that batter dipped, deep fried and greasy golden brown filets...

I do not like fish... I strangely love this stuff, they can keep the shoestring fries..

Old 07-05-2013, 02:22 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Quote:
What's ridiculous is claiming that 33 grams of trans fats can be eaten in moderation. 33 grams of trans fat in one sitting is absolutely, completely antithetical to the concept of moderation.

Would you say that it's ok to drink a 256-ounce Super Mega Gulp Mountain Dew "in moderation" every once in a while? Of course not, that's not moderation. Ok to drink a 30-pack of Natty Ice every once in awhile? That's not moderation either. Neither is a meal containing 33 grams of trans fats.

For a 2,000 calorie diet that's 15% of daily total energy intake and about 50% of fat intake. If you eat this meal once per week, and completely avoid any trans fats whatsoever the rest of the week, it's over 2% of calories. 2% of calories from trans fats is associated with a doubling of the risk of heart disease.

Let's say you eat this meal once per month and that the association is pretty linear across intake levels. Once per month might be expected to increase your risk of heart disease by up to 25%. Not to mention, the strong association with diabetes.

There is also the primate feeding study where trans fat consumption was associated with greater weight gain independent of caloric consumption. It was also associated with increased intra-abdominal fat and increased insulin resistance.

Other studies have shown an association with liver dysfunction, infertility, increased aggression, impaired memory and learning, depression, obesity, and other things.

A healthy body cannot process this meal "with no ill effects." That is absolutely, unequivocally not true.

This meal won't kill a healthy person from an acute reaction, but it is doing real damage to your body whether you can see it occur in real time or not, and it's completely unnecessary.

I don't care....I wanna eat! Not with you. With others....or by myself.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:39 PM

709 posts, read 955,312 times
Quote:

Never said anything about moderation. Only about comparing it to heroin.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:17 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,272,279 times
I love fish 'n' chips, but the three times I've tried LJS (three different locations over 12+ years) they ranged from poor to awful. Won't be trying anything from them again.

At least they're consistent.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:00 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,397,185 times
Quote:

Eugene, 1. I don't eat at LJS. 2. Your comparisons are ridiculous. And btw I noticed you made a snarky post about a misspelling I made in another thread before I noticed it myself. I see typos on CD every day but am not schoolmarm enough to correct others. Your responses don't seem to have anything to do about the subject on hand, just about showing off how smart you (think you) are. It's not working, buddy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink