Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2013, 11:27 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,679,200 times

Advertisements

The link for the data presented here. I'm human
and can make typos so if something seems wrong
it could be. I'm listing the item number to make it
easy to find in the PDF document. The first few
pages provide quality information that will make
this site more meaningful.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles.../hg72_2002.pdf

Sweetcorn #1099
Cooked, drained, from fresh raw

1 ear

Weight 77 g
Water 70 %
Calories 83
Protein 3 g
Total Fat 1 g
Sat Fat .2 g
Monounsaturated .3 g
Polyunsaturated fat .5 g
Cholesterol 0 g
Carbohydrate 19 g
Dietary Fiber 2.2 g
Calcium 2 mg
Iron .5 MG
Potassium 192 g
Sodium 13 mg
Vitamin A 167 IU
Vitamin A 17 RE
Thiamin 0.17 mg
Riboflavin 0.06 mg
Niacin 1.2 mg
Ascorbic Acid 5 mg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 11:36 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,221,540 times
Thanks for the info Nomad. I love corn. I just wish it wasn't so carby!

Last edited by Sweet*Tea; 08-24-2013 at 11:47 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 12:26 AM

16,907 posts, read 16,146,358 times
^^^ We are in corn harmony.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:11 AM

Some added info on sweet corn. The above figures have to be an average. I used to grow sweetcorn for market. Ears of sweetcorn run from small to extra large depending on variety. Early season ears are normally small and late season ears normally much larger. I believe the figures above apply to yellow also. White sweetcorn will vary in nutrient content. Also there are multiple types of sweetcorn.

SU types have normal sugar
SE types are sugar enhanced
SH2 are the super sweets

SU types need to be cooked or frozen or canned as soon after harvest as possible due to the rapid conversion of sugar to starch in the kernels.

SE types are slower to convert sugar to starch and require no isolation from other corns to retain their sweetness

SH2 types are the shriveled seeded types and must be isolated from other corns to retain their sweetness at harvest.

All of these are from selective breeding and not GMO types of corn. They been around since the 70's. I think it was the University of Illinois that developed the SH2 varieties and they at one time were patented.

The SE type and the original Kandy Corn was my all time favorite for large earns of good corn and it was great for freezing cut off the cob. The new Kandy Korn is not the same. I can tell as the original had purple tassels and silks and some purple on the husks.

A favorite SU type no longer available was Honey Cross from Burpee. The husks formed a very tight closure and worms were not such a problem.

I'm grown the SH2 varieties but probably not again. I don't see the gain for all the trouble of isolating it.

One SE type I wish I could find again is Sugar Loaf. The ears are not large but the silks just fall off making it easier to prepare to cook and the flavor was second to none.

Old 08-25-2013, 04:24 AM

One other tip about sweetcorn colors. There is a red sweetcorn. I've never had any and there are no nutrient values given but I would thing the Vitamin A content would be higher as it is in Red Grapefruit VS the standard Yellow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink