Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good points, and you may be right
however, walmart now sells twice as much groceries than the number one traditional supermarket in this country

most everyone i know does not shop at walmart for groceries, but they sell more than anyone else.
I'm sure tons of folks do indeed shop there. All I can do s speak for myself; I don't.

Old 09-06-2013, 04:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Considering the questionable nutritional value of your average freezer-section food item, I'm not sure it'll be any worse just because it's processed in China.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:04 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
who sells more groceries than anyone else in this country??
yep, its wal-mart

people like cheap...
Because so many people value CHEAP over everything else. Quantity over quality. They don't care what they put into their bodies as long as it is cheap. Poor quality, country of origin, poor nutrition doesn't matter.

I don't shop at Walmart and most people I know don't either. You get what you pay for.......

Old 09-06-2013, 08:20 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You just don't know people who shop there. Anytime I pass Walmart, I see their parking lot full of cars...
There are many poor/uneducated/uninformed/and those who don't care people who shop there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
I'm sure tons of folks do indeed shop there. All I can do s speak for myself; I don't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Because so many people value CHEAP over everything else. Quantity over quality. They don't care what they put into their bodies as long as it is cheap. Poor quality, country of origin, poor nutrition doesn't matter.
I don't shop at Walmart and most people I know don't either. You get what you pay for.......
Just wanted to add a little something. When I worked in an upscale suburb, there was a Walmart
nearby. Many of the people I worked with had expensive homes, cars, clothes, vacations, you know
what I mean but guess where they shopped - Walmart. Why, they were so in debt that they cut
corners on food and most of them never cooked but would buy frozen packaged meals, get a pizza
or whip out the credit card and go to a pricey restaurant. And they were highly educated.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
Nope my nuggets are my own not Chinese.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
I haven't eaten fast food in years but I still find the US reliance on food from Asia / China wrong. I buy my chicken from a local farmer, the same with beef and pork. I try not to buy processed foods and it would certainly help if the country of origin was posted on the packaging of the stuff I do buy.
Last year while on holiday in the UK my hubby was surprised to see the strawberries we bought had not only the country of origin but the individual farmers name on the packaging.

Also if you live in Michigan and can't find locally produced apple juice you aren't looking very hard

Old 09-06-2013, 10:05 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Too bad the majority of us on this topic live so far apart - it would be worth a try to at least start
demanding something and informing others out there.
We live in the computer/cloud age. Distance is no barrier any more. If the 20 yr. olds can do it so can we. My generation stopped a war, we need to come together again for our health and yet another war on the horizon....so, getting just a little off topic this morning.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,627,270 times
My wife is from China, her family still lives back there. They know full well the dangers of foods and medicines back there. When they come here to visit they will stock up on American baby formula or vitamins, for example, because they don't trust those products from back home at all. Also they will tell us when we are there which of many foods not to buy from stores because of known dangers.

I think something needs to be done about this, we need to pass legislation blocking these things from being made in China- at least not until absolute 100% regulation can be in place to be sure quality is on the same level as what you'd expect here or in other fully developed countries.

If this does end up happening, I will never buy chicken nuggets from McDonald's again.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:22 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,247 times
This.
Jamie Oliver Campaign makes McDonald

Its sort of sad that it took a foreigner to bring this to light but wonderful that he got McDonalds to change.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:55 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
I wish they absolutely had to list point of origin on all food, no matter where it's sold! China = toxic food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink