Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 10:03 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times

Advertisements

“Let food be your medicine and medicine be your food.” Hippocrates, 400 B.C.

The link for the data presented here. I'm human
and can make typos so if something seems wrong
it could be. I'm listing the item number to make it
easy to find in the PDF document. The first few
pages provide quality information that will make
this site thread meaningful.

Salmon #248

Smoked (chinook)

This is a food I fell in love with while visiting Coos Bay, Oregon in 1964.
The time has come for me to spend some time now fishing rather than searching and researching
on this computer. This will be the last daily food analysis post by me. I do hope the one fact that
I wanted to draw out that most foods have strong and week points. None are perfect. This is why
the term balanced diet is used. I leave you with this link for finding software programs that will
calculate a menu not just on item. I wrote my own first program to do this in 1986 as a model teaching
myself to program.

Menu Software

I tried to find the application that I tutored in a college computer lab but it seems not to be
found. There is something on the link above for anyone with the ambition to dig deeper into
what they are actually eating from a nutrition standpoint. I'm repeating a link here that elnina
donated that should be a bookmark for anyone who likes peeking under the skin of various
foods in greater depth than the USDA provide. Keep in mind that foods change with soil fertility and crop management practices. And another point is that even different varieties of the same fruit or veggie can make a difference. The data that has been used here was published in 1991. In this issue phosphorus was deleted and replaced with fiber content. I have and use the older hard copy issue that has the phosphorus content. The values posted from the current edition are averages of several tests. Don't take the values to be exact as they can and do vary.

Foods

One more thing I'd like to point out for home gardeners is that when you see a food high in potassium, calcium, or other mineral then you know that those elements need to be replaced in the soil they came out of. These elements are not made by the food. Plants and animals that supply our food are not chemical factories rather the utilize what chemical elements that the need out of what they are fed.

Meanwhile on with the fish. I'm gone fishing with a rod in one hand and a camera in the other.

3 oz

Weight 85 g
Water 72 %
Calories 99
Protein 16 g
Total Fat 4 gr
Sat Fat 0.8 gr
Monounsaturated 1.7 gr
Polyunsaturated fat 0.8 gr
Cholesterol 20 g
Carbohydrate 0 g
Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
Calcium 9 mg
Iron .7 MG
Potassium 149 g
Sodium 666 mg
Vitamin A 75 IU
Vitamin A 22 RE
Thiamin 0.02 mg
Riboflavin 0.09 mg
Niacin 4.0 mg
Ascorbic Acid 0 mg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 PM

5,193 posts, read 5,765,406 times
Thanks Nomadicus!

Good luck fishing and maybe if you catch something you can take a snapshot and post it.

I do enjoy my Alaskan salmon.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:59 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Thank you Rainroosty for the Reported Post. I have changed the day and date of this thread to reflect the current day and date.

Old 09-26-2013, 05:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,329,746 times
Quote:
This is a food I fell in love with while visiting Coos Bay, Oregon in 1964.
The time has come for me to spend some time now fishing rather than searching and researching
on this computer. This will be the last daily food analysis post by me.
I see you saved the best for last.
Mmmmm...smoked salmon.
Thanks for all your posts. I didn't comment on them, but I did read them.

Old 09-26-2013, 11:45 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,401,990 times
Salmon is great fresh and cooked right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink