Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:03 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times

Advertisements

Nutrition Strategies to Reduce Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease I think Cleveland Clinic's guidelines are the best. Bacon, red meat, etc. in limited amts.

With simple carbs, too, there's evidence that the higher the glycemic index intake of foods can lead to health problems, too.
One article didn't download. Carbohydrates and Health is the title by Harvard.edu educational site. Can google. Informative and more cutting edge than most nutritional sites.

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/canc...connection.htm This is a good article w/ reputable references & many of them. Excessive simple carbs ,refined sugars are a no no, insulin produced is the problem, may lead to problems/aggravate problems.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 10-23-2013 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 12:23 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,659,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lover of Animals View Post
Did anyone else see Dr. Oz yesterday with that guest neurologist who was saying that butter,white rice,red meat,bacon,etc. is good for us and that we had been depriving our bodies of these needed fats and that fats are back? He also said root vegetables such as potatoes and beets(anything grown underground)is bad as well as whole grains....totally the opposite of what we've been taught for years? I am still trying to process all of it and am wondering which is right and true. I guess it all goes back to what I've always said....A varied,balanced diet in MODERATION. Any thoughts anyone?
Dr. Oz needs to get some reputable guests on his show.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:28 PM

693 posts, read 1,138,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
The whole idea that consumption of saturated fats is bad will go down in history as the greatest public health advice fail of all time. There's increasing evidence that consumption of fats do not contribute much to heart disease at all. Every since 0% fat became the craze people have been consuming more sugar as a a substitute in almost every food and people continue to get fatter. As a chemist and biochemist that studies carbohydrate metabolism, I have no doubt that in 20 or 30 years from me we will have shown that sugar consumption is worse for your health than consuming fat. No thaks on fat free crap, I'll continue to eat butter, eat full fast yogurts, eat full fat cheese, and use cream in my coffee instead of skim. Nature intended all of those products to contain fat, I'll consume the less adulterated and less procrssed versions of food compared to their non or low fat counterparts. Portions can always be easily controlled.
Well said. I cant tell you how many people I run across who are trying to lose weight in the gym and have no clue that their entire understanding of food and how it interacts with the body has been twisted by US government, fad diets and corporate marketing and is single handily creating their body fat problem and will ultimately be the cause of its continuation.

In all of this, fat has been incorrectly villianized more then any person, place or thing in history.

Alas, many today will think this is wrong but then again, look how healthy our population is today...

Old 10-23-2013, 12:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
You can gain weight on a low fat diet, or a low carb diet, or a vegan diet, or a Paleo diet, or any other kind of life sustaining diet, simply by ingesting more food energy than what your body currently requires.

We are genetically programmed to get fat when food is abundant. It is a survival characteristic, developed to help us get through periods of famine or other food shortages.

The latest nutritional research shows that the real reason we get fat isn't what we eat, it's that we always eat. Sounds weird at first, but the fact that we never get hungry, like no-food hungry, is what keeps the switch turned on to pack away any excess that passes our lips, no matter what the source. And what makes any calorie restricted diet work, no matter what it cuts out, is that it tricks the body into thinking there isn't enough food, so that it burns the stored fat.

The problem is that when you "starve yourself" all the time it affects you psychologically, you get food cravings, you think about food all the time, bust your diet and binge, and all the other familiar craziness of "dieting." And unless you closely monitor your portion control, you'll start putting the weight back on as soon as you take your mind off the regimented diet.

Michael Mosley, who has reported on health and medicine for the BBC for many years recently had a show broadcast on PBS, in which he reported on a better way... just don't eat, a couple of times a week. It turns out that when you fast two days a week, your body keeps the fat storage system turned off all the time, and you can pretty much eat what you want the rest of the time. The excess that your body can't use will just pass through you, rather than packing onto your thighs, or wherever. He calls it The Fast Diet, because you simply fast two times a week.

Best of all, you don't need to starve completely for it to work. You can eat a little, like thin soups, a little fruit, whatever, as long as you keep it below 500 calories for the day, for women, or 600 for the day for men. The other 5 days you eat what you want. So instead of suffering 7 days a week, never completely enjoying yourself, having 5 good days and 2 "light" days a week is much easier to manage, with minimal torture.

Last edited by OpenD; 10-23-2013 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-23-2013, 01:28 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,895,946 times
Backs are Fat?

Old 10-23-2013, 01:31 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times
Thumbs up, OpenD.
An unexpected side effect of IF, for me anyhow, was that the regimen retrained me to eat pretty much anything I wanted, but only when REALLY HUNGRY.
Modified fasts enable you to learn what genuine hunger feels like, and how good it is to eat and satisfy that hunger, rather than to eat when everyone else says you should!
Now I rarely eat three meals a day as I favor a nice late hearty breakfast or early lunch meal, then wait for hunger which usually strikes me around 6 or 7 hours later. If I get hungry again at night I have some nuts or ice cream or fruit.
I am very happy with this food-lifestyle as it saves me work and money too which enables me to splurge on more organics and grass-feds with the savings.
It's all good.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:53 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
I switched to a gluten free diet about 4 weeks ago... I miss eating real bread

I have always been fairly lean, but since starting the diet, I have dropped probably 5 pounds, without doing any exercise at all... I feel like I have been eating more too, since most of the gf stuff I eat isn't very filling... it helps with digestion issues for sure, but I don't think I am intolerant and it hasn't helped with my energy levels or anything else, so I will be switching back soon

I love butter, and milk and red meat.... but:

milk: apparently acidifies the gut and therefore has a counter-intuitive effect on calcium levels, they are depleted from bones to neutralize the acidity... not sure that i believe all that though

red meat: high in l-carnitine as are some energy drinks, which has very recently been linked to heart disease... probably should be attributing this as the main cause of heart disease, NOT saturated fats

butter: gets a bad rap, but google French Paradox. "The French have a relatively low incidence of coronary heart disease despite having a diet relatively rich in saturated fats"

This relates specifically to the OP, and suggests some saturated fats are indeed healthy

Old 10-23-2013, 02:19 PM

638 posts, read 993,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Personally, people would be a lot healthier if they took the time they waste watching Dr. OZ and all the other self-annointed experts and went out walking during that period.
I do exercise at least five days a week. I DVR Dr. Oz and watch if interesting and fast forward or delete if not.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM

638 posts, read 993,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Nutrition Strategies to Reduce Your Risk of Cardiovascular Disease I think Cleveland Clinic's guidelines are the best. Bacon, red meat, etc. in limited amts.

With simple carbs, too, there's evidence that the higher the glycemic index intake of foods can lead to health problems, too.
One article didn't download. Carbohydrates and Health is the title by Harvard.edu educational site. Can google. Informative and more cutting edge than most nutritional sites.

http://www.caring4cancer.com/go/canc...connection.htm This is a good article w/ reputable references & many of them. Excessive simple carbs ,refined sugars are a no no, insulin produced is the problem, may lead to problems/aggravate problems.
Thanks! Good articles that I added to my medical file.

Old 10-24-2013, 07:19 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
We are genetically programmed to get fat when food is abundant. It is a survival characteristic, developed to help us get through periods of famine or other food shortages.

The latest nutritional research shows that the real reason we get fat isn't what we eat, it's that we always eat. Sounds weird at first, but the fact that we never get hungry, like no-food hungry, is what keeps the switch turned on to pack away any excess that passes our lips, no matter what the source. And what makes any calorie restricted diet work, no matter what it cuts out, is that it tricks the body into thinking there isn't enough food, so that it burns the stored fat.

The problem is that when you "starve yourself" all the time it affects you psychologically, you get food cravings, you think about food all the time, bust your diet and binge, and all the other familiar craziness of "dieting." And unless you closely monitor your portion control, you'll start putting the weight back on as soon as you take your mind off the regimented diet.

Michael Mosley, who has reported on health and medicine for the BBC for many years recently had a show broadcast on PBS, in which he reported on a better way... just don't eat, a couple of times a week. It turns out that when you fast two days a week, your body keeps the fat storage system turned off all the time, and you can pretty much eat what you want the rest of the time. The excess that your body can't use will just pass through you, rather than packing onto your thighs, or wherever. He calls it The Fast Diet, because you simply fast two times a week.

Best of all, you don't need to starve completely for it to work. You can eat a little, like thin soups, a little fruit, whatever, as long as you keep it below 500 calories for the day, for women, or 600 for the day for men. The other 5 days you eat what you want. So instead of suffering 7 days a week, never completely enjoying yourself, having 5 good days and 2 "light" days a week is much easier to manage, with minimal torture.
See, this is where I get confused. Myself and everyone else has been raised for decades being told the opposite. Doctors and nutritionists have been telling us that we must eat constantly to keep the metabolism running. We must never get hungry, diet, or go without food because this will send our body into starvation mode, triggering rapid fat storage as a primitive survival mechanism.

Who are we to believe when every 20 years, they flip to the complete opposite theory as truth? I wish I knew.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink