Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 04:47 PM

672 posts, read 5,822,884 times

Advertisements

My husband and I don't like to cook, so we tend to eat out a lot at inexpensive, but healthy fast food places, like Panera. Typically, we spend about $7 each (for takeout) there. To me, that seems like a pretty good deal--we don't have to get groceries, make the food or clean up afterwards, and spending $14 on dinner isn't that much.

On the other hand, we find that when we do get groceries and cook at home, our weekly grocery bills are usually about $200. When we get tired of eating out, we cook at home, and do menu planning, so we can get everything at once. But getting the groceries, combined with the time it takes to make the food and clean up, makes it seem like eating out at the cheap fast food places (but getting salads and soups or healthy sandwiches--not burgers and fries) is more economical. Now, I will say that when we make something like a lasagna or casserole, etc., that lasts for more than just one meal, it becomes more economical to eat at home.

I just wonder if we're doing something wrong with our grocery shopping. Does $200 per week (including juice and soft drinks, which are expensive) sound right for two people or too much? The interesting thing is, I'd say half our grocery list is produce, but produce isn't super cheap. When we get sweet potatoes for a sweet potato dish, for example, we usually end up spending about $12 just on those.

What do you think?

Last edited by doglover29; 11-20-2007 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:52 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,646,498 times
200 a week sounds really high for two people but maybe it is because of the produce? or maybe you have expensive taste or maybe youre buying alot of non food items? i think it's always cheaper ($) to eat at home.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:06 PM

187 posts, read 589,368 times
It's really difficult to eat/cook at home for 1 or 2 people less expensively. Per person it just costs more because you're less likely to make casseroles or the larger quantity recipes unless you like to eat tons of leftovers or have lots of freezer space.

I find I can do a lot with a rotisserie chicken, though.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
$200.00 a week does sound like a lot. Where are you from. My dh and I spend anywhere from $80.00-$150.00 depending on sales and how much meat I get. I'm also a stocker, so if tp, laundry detergent, paper towels, etc. are on sale I tend to buy multiple quantites. Same goes for health and beauty items. Other than that it is definitely much cheaper to cook and eat at home.

We eat really well. Three cooked meals every day and usually seperate ones at that because we don't eat the same food.

If you buy a lot of fresh produce it can get expensive. Try to find any produce stands or farmers markets in uour area for your produce. Also try to buy what is on sale. I try to plan around sales and this helps a lot.

Also with the price of gas, just going out can cost a lot. So yes I definitely vote for eating at home except for special occassions.

Lisa

Old 11-20-2007, 05:12 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
those home economics classes where not so pointless after all
(old guy talk, here it comes) saving money was considered a skill.
worked for me. i cannt tell you how many 30 dollar a plate meals i have eaten
that included nothing but boiled ambiance.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:33 PM

20,548 posts, read 30,397,537 times
It's Lisa again,

I just have to tell you what we just had for dinner at home.

My dh had prime rib, gravy, baked potato, and corn (cost @$3.75) and I had grilled swordfish and frozen broccoli and cauliflower(cost @$3.50). We drink water so our total dinner for a really "nice" dinner was @$7.25 with no extra for tip or gas. I can't get a meal that cheap going out.

Lisa

Old 11-20-2007, 05:43 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,551,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
It's Lisa again,

I just have to tell you what we just had for dinner at home.

My dh had prime rib, gravy, baked potato, and corn (cost @$3.75) and I had grilled swordfish and frozen broccoli and cauliflower(cost @$3.50). We drink water so our total dinner for a really "nice" dinner was @$7.25 with no extra for tip or gas. I can't get a meal that cheap going out.

Lisa
Ok Lisa I don't mean to be mean....but it sounds like you have frozen entree....Is that correct????? Now if you read the ingredients a lot of the stuff is not healthy for you. You are better cooking meals from scratch if you love to cook but since you don't like to cook you can make big dishes but put it in small dishes so you can break what you will eat and have the same next week. There are a lot ways to get stuff done in one day and make cooking easier through out the week.... Just my point of view.

Old 11-20-2007, 05:58 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,810,102 times
I made veal cutlet at home the other night for the whole family for the same price as one meal out. I don't understand how it could cost more to eat outside the home. I think what happens is that buying condiments and all the "extras" to make a meal really add up. I also think if you eat simpler foods, say roasted chicken or broiled fish, steamed or roasted veggies, it's cheaper than making things with sauces, marinades, etc...

you did good Lisa!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:23 PM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Wow, I could feed a family of 6 on $200. a week. A more valid comparison would be if you made what you had at Panera at home. You can make a lot of soup and sandwiches for $14.00.
$12.00 for sweet potatoes? I'd switch stores.

Last edited by gentlearts; 11-20-2007 at 06:31 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 06:32 PM

2,482 posts, read 8,733,641 times
My guess is you buy a lot of pre-packaged, pre-processed food that tacks on the cooking/packing/preserving expenses into the bill. My boyfriend and I don't spend more than 50 dollars a week buying groceries and we eat extremely well---as matter of fact my coworkers beg to come over for dinner! We don't get 'organic' things as I don't buy into the craze but we do buy plenty of fruits, veggies, and lean meats. Chicken legs are only about 2-3 dollars a pack for 8 drumsticks. That's like a day's worth of food for your one meal. Also, we make a lot of things on our own (he and I are huge foodies and advocates of DYI): bread, pie, stuffing, ...we have even made our own butter for fun (which, by the way, is sooooooo much better than any store bought crap if you make it correctly).

Not to mention, if you get something like a large roast or a whole chicken, it can last you at least 2-3 days if you mix it up and cook it different ways for each meal: roast it one night, make sandwiches the next day, and then chicken stew for the next night.

One of the posters were right: Home Economics really does have a place in today's society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink