Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:33 PM

747 posts, read 1,682,188 times

Advertisements

Well most of mc ds food isn't even worth a dollar. I wont eat dinner there anymore, about the only thing I buy there now is a breakfast items and for the most part now I eat breakfast at home. If you stick to plain biscuit it's good but the rest of biscuits are way over priced in my opinion, the quality just isn't there to pay between 3-5 bucks for a very small biscuit. They raised the price of the hot cakes and while they was good I refuse to pay four bucks for those when I can go else where and get all you can eat for the same price. Mcds in my opinion is pricing themselves out of business, if they want customers they better up the quality and size along with the upped prices.Because both my husband and I have started going elsewhere.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
...The "value" menu is basically akin to the "loss leaders" that you find in the supermarket ads each week...
Yep - that cheap rotisserie chicken is just to get you to the deli counter. Look at all the items you pass to get to that bargain next time.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:48 PM

652 posts, read 1,652,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
Well most of mc ds food isn't even worth a dollar. I wont eat dinner there anymore, about the only thing I buy there now is a breakfast items and for the most part now I eat breakfast at home. If you stick to plain biscuit it's good but the rest of biscuits are way over priced in my opinion, the quality just isn't there to pay between 3-5 bucks for a very small biscuit. They raised the price of the hot cakes and while they was good I refuse to pay four bucks for those when I can go else where and get all you can eat for the same price. Mcds in my opinion is pricing themselves out of business, if they want customers they better up the quality and size along with the upped prices.Because both my husband and I have started going elsewhere.
They are pricey on some items. By the time you get a quarter pounder meal it's over $6. You can go to a Chinese lunch buffet or get a lunch special that brings and entree, fried rice and an eggroll for about the same price. I love the big breakfast with hotcakes, but it's around $6 and doesn't even include coffee. And why is a sausage Mcmuffin $1, but with egg it's like $3 or more?

Old 11-12-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Let's put it another way then. How much of a profit do they make off of a Big Mac/Qtr. Pounder/etc.? The "value" menu is basically akin to the "loss leaders" that you find in the supermarket ads each week. The profit is slim to none, but it reels you in the door so they can bodyslam you on other products.
Trust me the Mcdouble is still profitable at $1. I'm a smart consumer on a budget. I used to buy the small fries for $1 with it also, which does make a profit for them, yet they raised the price on that too I read. I don't buy soda from fast food places, I buy that at the supermarket and have it at home for a fraction of what they charge. That is their biggest profit. A large cup of soda has to cost them 5 cents, it's ice, a paper cup, a squirt of syrup mixed with C02 and water. Bottled water has to be a huge profit too, You can get it on sale sometimes at the supermarket and a case runs about 7 cents per bottles sometimes, and they charge over $1,

These are not loss leader items. Do you know how cheap these things are when they are made by a huge corporation? Have you been to Dollar Tree and do you see all the great items they sell for $1 such as cleaning sprays that other places charge $3 or more for?

Most people don' t go and buy just one item off the dollar menu, and each item has a profit margin built in.

Plus those rotisserie chickens are profitable, You can buy a whole chicken raw for a few bucks, they get them wholesale and cook them and mark them up at least 50%.

Mostly the loss leader items are found on Black Friday and they are limited stock. And on occasion a supermarket will put on a special to get people in, but I don't find that to be the case as much in south Florida.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Yep - that cheap rotisserie chicken is just to get you to the deli counter. Look at all the items you pass to get to that bargain next time.
and they aren't that cheap. They are around $7 at Walmart Market and they use smaller and smaller chickens.

and a smart shopper knows how to avoid the items to entice you to buy the overpriced stuff.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
and they aren't that cheap...
I can buy the rotisserie chickens for $3 - $4 - that's a loss for the company.
Anyway, the topic here isn't rotisserie chicken - it's you ranting about how McDonald's has the audacity to raise their prices.

And I still say the answer is simple - DON'T GO TO McDONALD'S IF YOU DON'T LIKE THEIR PRICES.

Old 11-12-2013, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I can buy the rotisserie chickens for $3 - $4 - that's a loss for the company.
No it's not, at the very worst it's no profit, but in the long run they have that figured in and are not going to o broke selling those. Yes some people will go in to buy only that, and if they want to they should. I'm sure a market will discontinue and item if it's messing with the bottom line. Chicken is very cheap and when you buy it it's marked up, so they get it for less and all they have to do is cook it and sell if for a small profit.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowSoFlorida View Post
No it's not, at the very worst it's no profit...
No - sorry, but you're wrong - absolutely wrong.

The whole rotisserie chicken "loss leader" strategy is well-documented and proven. The large mega-corps aren't new to marketing/pricing strategies and have discovered ways to get a few more dollars out of shoppers.

Now, let's stick with your original subject - McDonalds raised their prices on you and you're not gonna take it.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:51 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,713 times
I find myself eating less McDonald's these days; this will only accelerate that trend. For years, I never, ever considered going to Burger King, but a couple of months ago my wife and I decided to give it another try. We were very impressed: the food tasted better than McDonald's, it was at a reasonable price, and it was different than the standard run-of-the-mill stuff that you find at McDonald's. We'll be going back to BK a lot more often. And surely hit up my all-time favorite, Taco Bell too! With the Doritos Locos Tacos, how could you ever go wrong at TB?

Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 PM

805 posts, read 1,084,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaDreams View Post
I agree with you on the breakfast at McD's. Absolutely refuse to pay $4 for dinky little hotcakes when you can buy a 2 whole boxes of pancake mix for that price! The only thing I'll touch on McD's breakfast menu is the McGriddle- somehow I can justify spending $3 for that amazing sandwich
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink