Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 07:45 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times

Advertisements

For the first time in YEARS, I made coq au vin for dinner tonight. It goes on the dinner guest menu. It want hard to make, most of it hands off after the first easy steps, and delicious. The key = bone in chicken thighs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 10:36 PM

16,399 posts, read 30,321,072 times
It depends on the guests.

Several rules:

1) Does the person have any reasonable dietary restrictions that need to be considered? There are people who I will not invite over for a meal as they have so many serious allergies that I do not feel comfortable serving. I also cannot cater my cooking to people who are strict Kosher or vegan.

2) I never try something new or untested for guests. There is nothing more embarrassing than when dishes do not come out well. Or roasts that do not come out correctly.

3) I like to do something at every meal that is not familiar to the person. Or a variation of a usual dish or a unique presentation.

Old 02-03-2021, 04:27 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,614,478 times
If I feel like doing something fancier, I'll stuff a boneless pork loin. I'll cook the stuffing the day before and chill it in the fridge. Then I'll flay open the pork loin, spread the stuffing in, roll it back up and tie it and roast in the oven. If I'm doing Greek potatoes with it, they can roast at the same time. the roast needs to sit 10-15 minutes to slice well, so I can do a fresh green side once it's out of the oven. Dessert depends on how much time and what sort of mood I'm in, but a cobbler with some homemade ice cream, or warm brownies with ice cream & fudge sauce are always well received.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:00 AM

3,381 posts, read 1,982,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Crockpot reminds me of the pulled pork/BBQ beef I do when I don't want to fuss. We make some homemade macaroni and cheese and coleslaw for sides, serve with King's Hawaiian buns and pretzel rolls. Self-serve, buffet style. Everybody's happy!
This sounds wonderful! The OP asked about casual dinners and I'm glad to see all the ideas posted.

When we were first married I did some fancier dinners but I have no desire for that kind of entertaining anymore although I did enjoy it as a newlywed. I especially like "self serve" entertaining so that everyone can choose how much they want to eat and not feel bad about leaving food on their plate.

Old 02-03-2021, 09:56 AM

12,056 posts, read 8,455,279 times
It depends on who it is, of course. If we're relatives I usually make something from our shared past - a holiday favorite, Aunt Laura's special waffles, Sunday dinners with mashed potatoes and gravy, pheasant when I can get my hands on it. Comfort food with memories.

Mom's brownies or potato salad - her two specialties. Herm's Asian cabbage salad, Margaret's orange sherbet dessert. Or my rhubarb pie. And I don't make pie for just any ol' body. I even make a small separate one for the vegan.

An easy company meal for me that doesn't take a lot of last minute prep is sausage lasagna, garlic bread, tossed salad and panna cotta. Elk Stew with wild rice meat balls and homemade onion bread. Asian food used to be a hit but it's too much last minute work for me now. And I love to serve brunch with quick bread, muffins, fruit. Quiche or egg bake.

I miss having company for dinner!

Old 02-03-2021, 10:48 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Holiday meals are traditional. Other than that, we are fond of barbecue, which is always well received.

A big pan of lasagna is always welcome. I've done a pot roast for friends on occasion.

If I've got home raised chicken, I will do that. It's fun to see people's reaction when they realize how different it is from store bought.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:21 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
As others have said, depends on the guests.

Brunch is one of my favorite meals to serve when our family gets together. French toast casserole, breakfast strata, muffins... fruit and yogurt ... Anything I can fix ahead of time and pull out of the oven.

When neighbors are guests it is usually evening, and crockpot meat served buffet style with condiments and salads.

Planning to serve arepas at an evening garden party in the spring. Will have crockpots of beef barbacoa, pulled pork, and jerk chicken, along with bowls of grilled peppers and onions, sliced avocados, cilantro, radishes, tomatoes, lettuce, grated cheese, black beans, Mexican street corn, chimichurri, pico de Gallo, etc. Guests can make their own arepas, grab a soda pop, beer, or glass of wine then wander around the gardens and catch up. It's been a long winter.

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 02-03-2021 at 11:38 AM..

Old 02-03-2021, 11:46 AM

51,657 posts, read 25,882,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Crockpot reminds me of the pulled pork/BBQ beef I do when I don't want to fuss. We make some homemade macaroni and cheese and coleslaw for sides, serve with King's Hawaiian buns and pretzel rolls. Self-serve, buffet style. Everybody's happy!
Fuss or no, everybody loves this meal.

I usually make a green salad, a vinegar coleslaw and a potato salad (secret ingredient is a couple tablespoons of white vinegar sprinkled on potatoes after they'e been cooked, and drained).

And, of course, a Jello salad. (It's the Minnesota in me..

Old 02-03-2021, 12:14 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,460,993 times
Glad so many people liked the pulled pork buffet meal, thanks for all the reps, folks!

The breakfast/brunch version of my no muss, no fuss meal is doing a big batch of overnight French toast casserole (I do Pioneer Woman's streusel topped one), bacon and maple sausage and coffee. There is just really no way to mess up the casserole. Last time I made it I had a lot of leftover egg nog, so in place of the milk and sugar, I used the egg nog in the overnight soak. Everyone loved it!

Old 02-03-2021, 05:39 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,017,414 times
Pasta & homemade sauce, homemade bread & meatballs/sausages.
Or, homemade pizza (dough & sauce), if it's more casual, like we're eating outside.

Usually something built around homemade spaghetti sauce (tomato) because I can bake it in the oven overnight, feed a lot of people (people can take home a plastic container for tomorrow's lunch, if they want) & unexpected guests brought along won't break the bank or affect portions doled out. Also, tag along kids like spaghetti sauce, so that's a bonus when unexpected kindergarteners or grumpy "I'd rather be chatting with my friends online" tweens show up.

Served with 3 kinds of meatballs to satisfy all diets... beef, chicken/turkey & TVP (texturized veg protein for the possible vegans). Bonus is, TVP meatballs taste great & the texture is like ground beef (this said as someone who doesn't like soy based foods), so I've found some meat eaters enjoy them.

I also buy different types of sausages for varying diets... pork Italian sweet, turkey sweet & turkey spicy... I buy store made, if available. I get a few small blocks of cheese to grate/slice on individual plates.

Always use fresh pasta... it makes it more special. If I have time & it's not too many people, I make my own... I enjoy the process. If not, it's gotta be fresh angel hair... store bought. Fresh ravioli or tortelinni are far too expensive to feed 6-8+... well, I used to do gatherings once/mo, so it was too pricey for me on my single girl's salary in a big city & lowly corporate position.

Always home baked loaf of bread or 2 & Irish butter... it's sweeter. Mixed garden salad, plus homemade pasta salad if there are a lot of folks coming. I make my own dressings.

Homemade cake for dessert... usually vanilla cake with vanilla sour cream frosting, doused in coconut & chocolate powder. When my Irish friends used to visit, I'd make Irish bread or scones instead, which they appreciated. Tea/coffee for after dinner, but I usually have someone else make it cuz I'm not good at either. I'm an espresso drinker... it's gotta taste like boot glue mixed with potting soil for me to drink it... most disagree.

For drinks... 1 large bottle each red/white table wines... nothing special, no one ever complained & they're always empty when guests leave. Several kinds of beer. A few types of water, infused, still & fizzy. A moderately priced bottle of champagne, which most never want. I never drank a mixed drink & am not interested in learning about them, so if guests want mixed drinks, they're welcome to bring their own booze & blend (or shake & stir) to their heart's content. I make ice cubes for guests, cuz I never use them.

I always ask about allergies/preferences/avoidances beforehand, which makes it more difficult on me cuz I'm catering to a varying array of diets, but I do it anyway.

I also keep around appetizers in small portions... just set them out in different corners of the room for guests to munch on. What I put out depends on who's coming. The cheese I buy is in case someone doesn't like anything I've made... I can make a quick grilled cheese on homemade bread. Only did that once for a gnarly, tag along teen... the gnarliness wasn't directed at me, but the fact that mom & her new bf were together & she was just objecting in anyway she could. No harm done... a pan, a bottle of ketchup, done.

Lastly, I like to have dinner ready to serve as soon as guests arrive... I'll hold it for 15-min, if people are enjoying appetizers or salads & talking, otherwise once everyone arrives, dig in. I like to serve, rather than do a buffet... it's more personal that way. And, I do not want or expect guests to clean or wash dishes or bring anything with them, etc. It's a night off for them. I know many will differ, but I absolutely cannot stand it when asked to make the salad or run to the store or bring 2-3-4 things or clear the table or dry dishes. Be a host for the love of god! I'd rather stay home & eat my own food, if you're going to make me work. When you come to my house, just relax & enjoy... I'll bring everything to you.

Buon appetito!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink