Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 08:50 AM

683 posts, read 1,885,051 times

Advertisements

Digital veggie steamer

Thanks for the magazine suggestions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2013, 09:19 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
a recipe book for smoothies

a juicing recipe book- for blenders

if she doesnt eat meat, and almost a vegan, then she loves the carbs... id also get her a recipe book for sweeter tasting snacks without the calories or carbs

if she has a dvd player get her an exercise video- low impact at first....
exercise releases endorphins, and suppresses appetites, it will also encourage her to drink lots of water

Old 12-14-2013, 03:48 PM

3,399 posts, read 3,091,356 times
Believe me, for months she will be eating super duper small portions. These portions will be 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup. I had 95% of my stomach removed September 30 due to cancer....they did a Roux en Y Gastric Bypass like your sister will be having.

I have lost 51 pounds since surgery and have had to buy clothes in different sizes three times thus far. I know that I would love for someone to give me gift cards to various places where clothes can be purchased.

Food wise, your sister's diet will be very limited for the next few months. Perhaps a gift card to the place where she will be purchasing the supplements she must take for the rest of her life. These are quite expensive and an absolute must take from now on.

When you only eat 1/4 to 1/3 cup of food for the first couple of months, cooking in large quanities, in my opinion goes to waste. Persons have digestive problems. You can't eat any sugar and must be low fat from now on. Juice and certain fruits are even no-no's due to the digestive problems.

I sincerely hope your sister does well. I didn't choose to have the stomach reduction surgery but I am coping, but absolutely would never have chosen to have this .... it is drastic for sure and forever.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:06 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Good quality, glass containers for storage, leftovers, etc. So, when she opens her refrigerator it is pretty inside! :-)

Old 12-16-2013, 09:17 AM

912 posts, read 1,525,325 times
I'm not sure about a steamer. I love all kinds of vegetables, but steamed ones generally bore me to sleep in the middle of my meal -- unless they're well seasoned or with an interesting sauce, but even then -- give me a raw salad or roasted vegetables any day of the week!

A crock pot is a great idea. There are a million crock pot cookbooks out there, including tons of vegetarian ones, and crock pot cooking is wonderful for someone not used to cooking. You literally just throw everything in, turn it on, then go do something else while your meal cooks. There's also not usually a lot of added fat.

Also, depending on your own cooking abilities, could you maybe make some meals for her and freeze them in small portions? That way she'll have easy, healthy meals to eat while recovering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink