Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 04:44 PM

2,288 posts, read 3,238,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
About the milk problem - get Almond Milk. It is not only better for you than dairy, it also lasts forever. Perfect for single people who don't use much milk every day.

That was me. I looked at the almond milk once and if I remember correctly, it had a bunch of sodium. Is that right? I tried to like soy, but the thickness bugged me. I like 2% milk, mainly use it for cereal and milk & cornbread. If I'm feeling really naughty, with Hostess chocolate donuts. I cant imagine any of my uses with anything but regular milk, but thank you and I will give it a try.

I wanted to share I no longer buy the bags of "salad". I was throwing out more than I used, plus I don't trust it as being as healthy as fresh. You just know they drench it in chemicals. As long as I bag my fixings and squeeze the air out, it lasts for weeks. Wish I'd made the switch years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 06:35 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,415 times
I struggle with this concept of whether cost/benefit of preparing my own meals versus eating out; simultaneously, this is in direct conflict with my preference to support local over multinational and organic versus manufactured and/or GMO.

Breakfast - Fruit, cereals or grits
Lunch - Mainly salads or the previous nights leftovers
Dinner - Seafood / vegetables / potato (sweet or red)

Generally, I'm eating the same things over and over again and get my variety (and desserts) by eating out occasionally.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:13 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Yes I'm over it. I will only cook or bake if it's the cooking and baking activity itself I want, not for the food. It is actually cheaper for me to takeout good food prepared by good cooks/chefs or to eat simply...bread, salad, fruit, cheese, etc. which is what I usually do for my meals.

Breakfast is grains and fiber (cereal or toast), snacks are fruits and veggies, then I eat a meal sometime in the early evening. And that's the only real ? in my day....what's for dinner?

Old 01-16-2014, 05:57 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
A food saver machine and a freezer are a single person's friend in the kitchen.
Also good for couples with no children at home.
I put portions in each bag or double portions then freeze and mark what it is.
When I want that particular dish I toss the bag in a boiling pot of water until it is heated through completely.
Perhaps the fault is with me but my own cooked and then frozen foods do not freeze well. I can not flash-freeze as manufacturers do. It does make a difference.

And I agree with OP. In the long run, it does cost more to buy and cook for one than to simply purchase pre-packaged foods, despite their deficiencies. The sauces, condiments, and such cannot be used up fast enough.

It's a problem. That's for certain.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:14 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,968,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeinmo. View Post
That was me. I looked at the almond milk once and if I remember correctly, it had a bunch of sodium. Is that right?

I'll check when I get home.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:28 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Blue Diamond Almond Breeze varieties have 150 mg - 180 mg of sodium per cup. Is that considered a bunch? I don't know. I don't drink dairy milk so I have no comparison.

Old 01-22-2014, 12:37 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
And I agree with OP. In the long run, it does cost more to buy and cook for one than to simply purchase pre-packaged foods, despite their deficiencies. The sauces, condiments, and such cannot be used up fast enough.
Nope. Not true. Condiments and sauces can last a long time in the fridge. If divided and frozen, they'll last even longer.

As to cooking and freezing, depending on the ingredients and meal, you have to wrap and freeze at different stages, spearation, etc. It's learned skills and a huge time saver.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:20 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
Blue Diamond Almond Breeze varieties have 150 mg - 180 mg of sodium per cup. Is that considered a bunch? I don't know. I don't drink dairy milk so I have no comparison.
The unsweetened Blue Diamond Almond Breeze has almost twice the calcium of milk and
only 30 calories per cup..Love it..

Not sure about sodium in milk but 180 in a cup is okay with me, I watch my other sodium intake..

Old 01-23-2014, 01:14 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
What's more exhausting to me is getting dressed, driving the car to a restaurant, waiting to be seated, waiting for the food, waiting for the tab, driving home again, and getting into more comfortable clothes!

Sorry to hear you don't like eating something twice. I cook once a week, 3-4 dishes, and eat them the rest of the week.

But to cook everyday, no way!!!

Old 01-23-2014, 01:33 AM

123 posts, read 151,546 times
I am also tired of cooking. Just have the same feeling with it. It is hard to cook for one person. There are many times after i cooked food, i feel i do not have appetite to have them. Finally, when i am alone, i usually eat outside or eat noodles and dumplings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink