Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 12:05 PM

12,099 posts, read 8,491,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
Years ago after reading how the expensive pale looking veal came to be like that I never touched it again.
My first taste of veal was my first big date with DH. I ordered veal cordon bleu and it came on a bed of wild rice with a perfect mushroom sauce. It was heavenly. After that I ordered it several times more. I remember being out with my aunt and uncle and ordering veal and hearing my aunt say, "OMG, she ordered veal" and not understanding what was wrong with that.

So I did a little research and when I found out how veal was raised I never ate another piece. Such a sacrifice for whatever good it does.

Don't anyone start in about any of my other favorites. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:06 PM

12,892 posts, read 9,139,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Yes, but’s it’s pretty easy to come up with a very tasty chicken parmigiana if you carefully pound it and cook it properly and prevent it from drying out. It would be a real good runner up to veal parm since chicken is usually a little more tender.

Although I’ve noticed that veal does have a little stronger texture so it’s excellent for using it to make a rollatini, stuffed with some cheese, spices in a brown mushroom sauce.
What tastes better than that in a good Italian restaurant❓❓
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I am afraid that this might be off topic so I will keep it short. For schnitzel, pound the meat thin, then dip in beaten egg with a tablespoon or two of mustard mixed in, then dip in flour salt and pepper and fry quickly in oil. If you don't know how to make gravy buy Knorr Hunter Sauce Mix (Jaeger Sosse) You should be able to find it in a local grocery store but if not you can buy it on Amazon, 12 packs for about $1.10 each. Or just follow one of the dozens of recipes online. I serve it over a bed of red cabbage (I get it at the Russian deli) and serve with Spaetzle.
Yes, thank you. I can knock out a pretty decent Italian chicken or veal. It's those German flavors that elude me, esp for something so simple. Maybe I need some good German bier to think it over.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:17 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,487,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
We can buy veal in grocery stores here, in Texas. Available, but bit expensive.
Or order foie gras, sharks fin soup, or boiled lobster in a restaurant. Not sure about ortolans. Never heard of it outside France...

I had Wienerschnitzel in Charlottenburg (Berlin) last year. Quite popular in Germany and Poland.
People still eat it across the EU.
Lucky you, I love Wienerschnitzel!

Of course, just like you had Wienerschnitzel in Berlin, and one can get Schweineschnitzel there too, but Berlin has its own special Schnitzel, which I have never had. Have you?

Berliner Schnitzel (Berlin-style cutlet) is made from cow udders (Kuheuter).

The most common Schnitzel in Germany, Schweine Schnitzel (aka Schweineschnitzel), is made with pork.
Sometimes it is called "aus Wiener Art" which means "in the style of Vienna".

Authentic Wiener Schnitzel (aka Wienerschnitzel) is made with veal.

(Now I'm getting hungry.)

Old 02-10-2019, 03:28 PM

Ich bin ein Berliner Schnitzel.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:48 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,139,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
My first taste of veal was my first big date with DH. I ordered veal cordon bleu and it came on a bed of wild rice with a perfect mushroom sauce. It was heavenly. After that I ordered it several times more. I remember being out with my aunt and uncle and ordering veal and hearing my aunt say, "OMG, she ordered veal" and not understanding what was wrong with that.

So I did a little research and when I found out how veal was raised I never ate another piece. Such a sacrifice for whatever good it does.

Don't anyone start in about any of my other favorites. Ignorance is bliss.
Sorry, but I have to call the bluff. Do you feel the same about Lamb or Chicken given the practice you're referring to has largely been phased out?

Old 02-10-2019, 04:26 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,393,844 times
The local Italian place here makes Veal Scallopini but not Parm. Years ago I made it fairly regularly. I stopped when we moved, and I couldn't get good veal. I've only seen veal stew at the local butcher's, but I know they would sell me slices for Parm.

During our last visit to Boston's North End, all of the restaurants had it. I ordered it because I can't get it locally. Very good!

Old 02-10-2019, 05:02 PM

19,972 posts, read 30,306,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Veal is expensive because many countries banned veal crates which prevented much of the export trade. Britain banned them in 1990 and the EU in 2006. Live Animal exports are also seen as cruel by many. A couple of US States also have similar legislation in place.

Veal has joined a list of controversial foods such as foie gras, sharks fin soup, ortolans, boiled lobster etc as well as numerous protected species, and Veal is rarely on the menu in all but a few restaurants in most countries.

I personally wouldn't eat any of these foods, and try to buy free range and proper organic produce as much as possible.

I was surprised US Italian restaurant chains sold veal in the first place according to the OP, however some fine dining Italian restaurants in the US may possible still sell veal.
veal cutlets are on many menus...even in maine…

most of my stores sell veal cutlets and veal stew

lobster is a controversial food??

never heard that one...maybe from the vegans and peta ...but that's less than 5% of the population..

Old 02-10-2019, 05:16 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,313,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

never heard that one...maybe from the vegans and peta ...but that's less than 5% of the population..
I think it might be the whole "boiled alive" thing.

Old 02-10-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Sorry, but I have to call the bluff. Do you feel the same about Lamb or Chicken given the practice you're referring to has largely been phased out?
No bluff. Is it true that they no longer raise veal that way? I haven't given it a second thought since I decided it was off limits to me.

I don't eat lamb and don't get me started about chickens. One Easter Dad brought me home a baby chick. I loved that little birdie. Soon there were five more. Then the number was forty! Little did my tender heart guess what was in store for my pets.

Our small town had a dog pound that no one used. The dogs ran free and everyone knew whose they were and their names. So Dad asked someone if he could use the pound to put the chickens in. It was basically a fenced in grassy area with shelter.

I'd go down every day and call them to come eat. The original six had names and would sit in my lap to be petted.

I won't talk about the inevitable but to say that I witnessed carnage and Sunday dinners were tough for me for a long time. I never could understand why my dad, being generally a good-hearted man, didn't think to save the six for me.

But he was of a different era and mind-set and while those chickens lived they lived good lives.

Since I am still a moderate meat eater I recognize the cognitive dissonance and live with it. But some kinds of cruelty certainly affect my decisions more than others. Like my dad would have said, "Yeah, it ain't easy."

Not even for animals.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

LOL Reminds me of lunching with a friend who didn't eat meat. She had told me she could never eat anything with a face. That day she ordered whole lobster and it lay there looking at me with its beady eyes all through the meal.

I wanted to ask, "What the heck do you think that is on the end opposite the tail, anyway?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink