Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 06:27 PM

709 posts, read 955,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We regularly had creamed chipped beef on toast for dinner when we were kids. I loved it, but I haven't made it in years. The dried beef comes in a jar (Armour?). You rinse it and shred it and add it to a white sauce. Just make sure you rinse the dried beef in hot water out of the jar, or it will be too salty..
I never rinse it. I love it good and salty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 06:36 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,581,120 times
The term "open faced sandwich" always confused me, since the ones that I've gotten have 2 slides of bread with meat in-between, and gravy on top. What's open?

Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
wasnt the chipped beef on toast, known as sh-- on a shingle?

YOU BET! That's exactly what my dad called it. It did look like sh--t, but us kids loved it. Mom called it chipped beef on toast. Needless to say, she wouldn't let us kids ask for it by "Dad's name" ( this is Mr. Cuban Chic)

Yes I hijacked the iPad when she started talking about this thread, this made me laugh at the memory!

Old 01-18-2014, 08:39 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
The term "open faced sandwich" always confused me, since the ones that I've gotten have 2 slides of bread with meat in-between, and gravy on top. What's open?
After making that sandwich you then cut it into from corner to corner making 2 triangle sides that are spread apart on the plate. A mound of mashed potatoes goes there then gravy over it all so the sandwich opened up in the middle facing the mashed potatoes.

I am just jacking with you I don't know why it is called that other than what I posted.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:42 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,190,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
YOU BET! That's exactly what my dad called it. It did look like sh--t, but us kids loved it. Mom called it chipped beef on toast. Needless to say, she wouldn't let us kids ask for it by "Dad's name" ( this is Mr. Cuban Chic)

Yes I hijacked the iPad when she started talking about this thread, this made me laugh at the memory!
Hello Mr. Cuban Chic glad this thread evoked some good memories now go wash your mouth out with soap for wanting to call it what dad did.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:46 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
Seems like a lot of these meals are salty meat in a cream sauce with noodles or potatoes. People must not have cared much for flavor back then. Or fiber. Another meal you don't see so much anymore is meatloaf. My grandmother was pretty good at making that one!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:53 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
A lot of the ones talked about, have different names in different parts of the country. The Manhattan Sandwich is a Hot Beef Sandwich in Western parts of the country. I made myself one last evening.

Some are local favorites, such as Okra, and unheard of outside the area it is popular. I had never heard of Grits as an example until Uncle Sam sent me to Memphis for a special school. Southerners bragged about it, and to Westerners it was like giving them a hunk of wallpaper paste.

Restaurants to be successful, serve foods that sell in their area. They don't sell anything with little call for it. Pure economics.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:38 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
I grew up in Berks County, Pennsylvania, and you can't find Pennsylvania Dutch chicken pot pie in any restaurant or diner anymore. This dish is not a "chicken pie" (the kind with a crust) - it is more like a thick chicken stew with "bot boi" noodles. There used to be one local restaurant (now closed) that had "all you can eat" chicken pot pie one night every week. Even the restaurant in Sears served it every Wednesday. Ditto other Pennsylvania Dutch dishes like "potato filling" (a rich potato dish made with egg, celery, onions and bread cubes baked in the oven) and "Schnitz und Nepp". This is dumplings and dried apples cooked in ham broth.

As Berks County is becoming diverse with other ethnicities, I guess the Pennsylvania Dutch heritage and language, as well as their unique food, is becoming extinct.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:43 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post

We called it "frizzed beef on toast". I've also heard it called "s**t on a raft". My dad ate a lot of that during WWII and was less than thrilled when we had it at home. Ditto fried Spam.

Old 01-19-2014, 04:46 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
There are several restaurants in my town that still put meatloaf on the menu and it's pretty good too. I don't order it as I make it at home every once in a while. As far as okra goes, I had never had it until I started making Brunswick stew and found that it called for that. I just don't care for okra as to me, it's slimey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink