Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 02:01 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,201,972 times

Advertisements

I have eaten at Olive Garden. My main problem are the long waits for a table. I don't find it significantly better or worse than most other Italian restaurants otherwise. However, where I live there is an independent Italian restaurant that has been in operation for about four decades now that can give me the same or usually better experience without the long wait. On the food I would say the pasta dishes are equal to OG, but the pizzas are much better. Service is easily as good and perhaps slightly better than OG, too. Again, if I hear someone went to OG, I don't get snooty about it as I have eaten there on occasion, too.

If I was visiting someone else, I would be happy to go there if they suggested it. It is rude to get snobby when you are talking about one meal. Is it going to be the last restaurant meal they ever eat? I think not. Some people have no common sense. Regarding OG: I may suggest a non-peak time (maybe eat early at 4:00 or late at 8:00 instead of 6:00 to avoid those long wait times).

Someone else mentioned beer: I confess if I have a slight snob food and drink category, that might be it. I avoid Budweiser and Coors (meh) if I can help it. I will drink them on seldom occasions, but only if they are available on draft (from the tap). Luckily, there are usually more beer choices these days and even at some of the less yuppie down to earth establishments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think most of you are missing the point, it's not about the food it's about manners. I am a foodie, but if I am visiting someone I accept what they offer without comment. If they want to take me to a chain restaurant, I go. If they want to serve me processed cheese spread, I eat it. I may suggest a place I would rather eat, but never be snobby about it. Just like they should suck it up and eat whatever you want to eat when they visit you in the big city.

My mother has graciously eaten sushi, pate, quail eggs, etc...

So I will graciously eat chili cheese dogs, chicken fried steak, and processed cheese spread casseroles.

We have also learned to enjoy it. life is too short to be ugly to friends and loved ones.
Best post in this thread so far! Thanks for putting it in perspective. It is about manners and commons sense.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,231,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
I think most of you are missing the point, it's not about the food it's about manners. I am a foodie, but if I am visiting someone I accept what they offer without comment. If they want to take me to a chain restaurant, I go. If they want to serve me processed cheese spread, I eat it. I may suggest a place I would rather eat, but never be snobby about it. Just like they should suck it up and eat whatever you want to eat when they visit you in the big city.

My mother has graciously eaten sushi, pate, quail eggs, etc...

So I will graciously eat chili cheese dogs, chicken fried steak, and processed cheese spread casseroles.

We have also learned to enjoy it. life is too short to be ugly to friends and loved ones.
I agree with you, but the OP didn't present the thread that way; he placed it in the Food board, asking why big-city people are elitist about where they eat - not why his friends acted rude, which seemed to have been the main issue. Obviously manners should be number one - but beyond that, there's nothing wrong with being choosy with what you put in your body. Moreover, if you're going to pay for a restaurant meal it makes sense you would at least want to enjoy what you're eating.

Old 02-15-2014, 04:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,167,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
I have eaten at Olive Garden. My main problem are the long waits for a table. I don't find it significantly better or worse than most other Italian restaurants otherwise. However, where I live there is an independent Italian restaurant that has been in operation for about four decades now that can give me the same or usually better experience without the long wait. On the food I would say the pasta dishes are equal to OG, but the pizzas are much better. Service is easily as good and perhaps slightly better than OG, too. Again, if I hear someone went to OG, I don't get snooty about it as I have eaten there on occasion, too.

If I was visiting someone else, I would be happy to go there if they suggested it. It is rude to get snobby when you are talking about one meal. Is it going to be the last restaurant meal they ever eat? I think not. Some people have no common sense. Regarding OG: I may suggest a non-peak time (maybe eat early at 4:00 or late at 8:00 instead of 6:00 to avoid those long wait times).

Someone else mentioned beer: I confess if I have a slight snob food and drink category, that might be it. I avoid Budweiser and Coors (meh) if I can help it. I will drink them on seldom occasions, but only if they are available on draft (from the tap). Luckily, there are usually more beer choices these days and even at some of the less yuppie down to earth establishments.
A note on Olive Garden and similar chains. Earlier in the thread I mentioned that I quite liked Olive Garden, even though in general I'm not a fan of chain restaurants. But then, I've never really gotten into Italian cooking, so my palate isn't that refined IRT Italian food. I think OG is OK.

On the other hand, I have a lot of experience with Mexican, Indian and Middle Eastern food, including having lived for many years where these cuisines are common or indigenous. So I'm more likely to roll my eyes at Taco Bell as being representative of "real Mexican food" or other Americanized versions of other cuisines, chain or not.

I currently live in what I think of as a Midwestern food desert...but on reflection, even here I have access to a really wide variety of cuisines, including some really good diners and local food joints. Does lowly Genesee county MI have the choice available in NYC, Chicago, or LA? No. But there are still a ton of good food and nice restaurants around here...tons of Middle Eastern, many Asian, Caribbean, Italian, fusion, greasy-spoon diners, brew pubs Polish and Russian eateries.

Most people gravitate towards what is familiar, no matter where they live and what is available to them.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:23 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,736,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The choices and varieties of food in most large metro areas are way better - by orders of magnitude.

That's simply how it is.
No one is arguing that. I was writing in response to people talking about certain things not being "available" in suburbs and rural areas.

The French Laundry is in a suburb. The Restaurant at Meadowood is in a suburb. Suburbs are more or less parts of large metro areas by definition. The suburb I live in is in the 12th largest metro area in the US.

The other point is that being in a rural area doesn't necessarily mean you're 3 hours away from everything. It's an apples and oranges comparison to compare what's "available" in all of NYC or LA where it might take 2 hours to drive from one part of the city to another, vs. a smaller city where it takes 10-15 minutes to drive from one end to the other. You can live in a rural area and be 30 minutes away from a big metro area where there a lot more options, yet people will say there's nothing available in that city.

Old 02-15-2014, 05:49 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,710,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
By that I mean people (not all obviously) will talk down about places that don't have the luxury of having a million different/unique places to eat. Where I live admittedly most is chain restaurants and the like, but we do still have some unique restaurants/places to go eat you just have to drive a bit, yet time and time again when I've had people from big city's come down to visit and I suggest somewhere that's more chain-type places I get disparaging remarks.

A few examples: Last year a friend of mine who moved to NY a few years ago came down to visit. We were going to go out to eat and I said how about Olive garden to which she said "Olive garden? That's such crap! In NY you can get REAL Italian food!" she said it in a kind of joking manner but it still rubbed me the wrong way.

Another time a friend visited from Boston and when I suggested we go grab a bite to eat she said "Sure, but it better not be one of those crappy chain-type places that serve low quality food. In Boston we have so much more variety and the food there puts anything here to shame."

I get it, living in a smaller town I'm not fortunate enough to have access to all these great, wonderful restaurants/eatery's that people in bigger cities have, but there's no reason to be condescending! I just hate how so many from bigger cities feel the need to blurt out how much "better" they have it in terms of food.
If you have some good local places, why would you ever suggest Olive Garden, which is pretty much the worst of any of the chains? Your friend was a bit rude....but if there are options, why aren't you taken advantage of them?

Old 02-15-2014, 06:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
If the independent Italian place's paste is equal to OG then that place sucks. A true Italian place that features home cooked Italian cuisine is miles better than the crap served at OG. I've sampled a lot of OG's pasta dishes they are overpriced crap.

You must live in an area without a lot of Italians.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
If the independent Italian place's paste is equal to OG then that place sucks. A true Italian place that features home cooked Italian cuisine is miles better than the crap served at OG. I've sampled a lot of OG's pasta dishes they are overpriced crap.

Actually I have only had pasta there twice, so I probably should have said that in my post...not a major basis to compare. For some reason I did like the OG fettucine the last time I ate there but I remember being real hungry which can sometimes make us like almost anything, right? I almost always order the pizza at this independent place in town. It is very good.

Yes, Italians are not the biggest ethnic group in town for sure. However, the nearby Monterey Peninsula has a greater variety of Italian choices and a higher percentage of Italian people I would bet!

Old 02-15-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post

Real quick: Why would you sample A LOT of OG's pasta dishes if you thought they are all overpriced crap. Maybe better to stop after three or four times. It is nice that you wanted to be fair, though. Or maybe your family or friends like it and drag you there? Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:23 AM

7 posts, read 7,777 times
Simply because they think big city restaurants are far superior to the small towns. In my experience it has been the opposite AND at a far better price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink