Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,741,023 times

Advertisements

Generally because big/large cities have way better food than small cities or towns. Don't get me wrong, there are some hidden gems in smaller cities/towns, but the basics lack big time. Someone from NYC will probably not like food in the middle of a less than popular state (like Indiana for example).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2014, 08:39 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,397,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Pseudofood? That sounds subjective.
Food has a high nutrition to calorie ratio. The farther you get away from that, the less like natural food something is.

Food:

any nutritious substance that people or animals eat or drink, or that plants absorb, in order to maintain life and growth.
"cans of cat food"
synonyms: nourishment, sustenance, nutriment, fare; More
fodder, feed, provender, forage

Old 02-12-2014, 09:11 PM

311 posts, read 451,113 times
Though I agree the comment is rude, food options in smaller cities are a far cry from options in NY, both quantity and quality. Don't knock it til you try the food in those larger cities. I do get tired of the same chains and "new american" type options where I'm at now.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,092,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I've had delicious food and good times at country shacks that would probably violate a dozen NYC food safety laws.
Best food I've ever had was in a dumpy shack in the middle of nowhere.

It was quite a strange sight to arrive in the dark and find this isolated little shack surrounded by high end cars.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Another stereotype
city people can also make stereotypes about country talking trash about city traffic and crime.

There's pricks everywhere, in the city and in the country.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:55 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,151,127 times
Good food can be found anywhere. But not at an Olive Garden, or other chain restaurant. Their food is acceptable ... and I'm not a picky eater.

When you live in a bigger city, with lots of food options, your tastes can be a lot wider. And in a small town, you don't necessarily have those options. If what I really like is Vietnamese food ... I'm probably not going to be real excited over going to Olive Garden. Just like, if you were to go to the "big city" you're not likely to be very happy if your hosts took you out to their favorite sushi place, and you'd turn your nose up at it.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:32 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,961,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
We were going to go out to eat and I said how about Olive garden...
My response would have been: "Aren't there any decent local diners or holes in the wall? You can get Olive Garden just about anywhere. I'd love to get a taste of local fare."

Old 02-12-2014, 11:32 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,528,052 times
My first thought was, you need new friends! Rude!

A friend came to visit me about a week ago here in Redding. We were looking for somewhere to eat late afternoon. I am new to living here, and am on a fixed income, so don't know the restaurants yet. But, I do drive down a main strip often, and know where some chain restaurants are. I have no idea how good the local places are. So, I suggested Applebee's.

She didn't want to go to an Applebee's and was in the mood for a good steak or even a hamburger (beef, in other words). I said I'll eat anywhere you want, but I can only spend $20 toward the bill. Smile.

We ended up at a Red Robin. The burgers were great. And bottomless steak fries, too. Even had a margarita.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:51 PM

358 posts, read 512,686 times
Food is nutrition. Some tastes better than others, but in the end it doesn't make that much difference. Friendship is more important.

If a friend can't go to a place with you unless it serves almond encrusted free-range eggplant with left hand twisted sprigs of sprouted chia on a bed of fire roasted jujubes, then they have their priorities messed up and maybe they aren't really a friend.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
By that I mean people (not all obviously) will talk down about places that don't have the luxury of having a million different/unique places to eat. Where I live admittedly most is chain restaurants and the like, but we do still have some unique restaurants/places to go eat you just have to drive a bit, yet time and time again when I've had people from big city's come down to visit and I suggest somewhere that's more chain-type places I get disparaging remarks.

A few examples: Last year a friend of mine who moved to NY a few years ago came down to visit. We were going to go out to eat and I said how about Olive garden to which she said "Olive garden? That's such crap! In NY you can get REAL Italian food!" she said it in a kind of joking manner but it still rubbed me the wrong way.

Another time a friend visited from Boston and when I suggested we go grab a bite to eat she said "Sure, but it better not be one of those crappy chain-type places that serve low quality food. In Boston we have so much more variety and the food there puts anything here to shame."

I get it, living in a smaller town I'm not fortunate enough to have access to all these great, wonderful restaurants/eatery's that people in bigger cities have, but there's no reason to be condescending! I just hate how so many from bigger cities feel the need to blurt out how much "better" they have it in terms of food.

We don't live in what is considered a big city or near a really big city however, we do not eat at any of the chain restaurants listed.
We also don't eat fast food unless it is the absolute only choice available.
I quit eating fast food over 15 years ago and my body cannot deal with all the after effects of fast food.

As far as the chain restaurants go it is a matter of taste and I do not like Olive Garden at all. To me everything they serve has too much of something in it and it all taste like that ingredient. We do go to Olive Garden from time to time but it is only because Aunt Dolly who is 90+ years old likes to go there so we take her there or IHOP.

So your "elitest" statement does not apply to everyone who lives in a big city and we are not remotely close to being elitest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink