Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 04:12 AM

3,399 posts, read 3,089,917 times

Advertisements

I have an old percolator in my camper and look forward to making coffee when we're camping. The people camping around us frequently wander over to our campsite due to the coffee smells. So, I drag out extra cups for the visitors. They love the taste of the perked coffee from the old percolator and the smells while it's making, are even better!

At home though I use my little 4 cup drip coffee maker. I really need to find another old percolator for home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 10:33 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,751,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The sweet person who gave me the Cuisinart, my dil, passed away last month. I remember her every morning, with love and reverence.

Awwww....*sniff* It's nice that you had such a good relationship with your DIL, and also that you have something so tangible to remember her with.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
I wish I still had my old Corning Ware percolator now. It made goooood coffee....lol.
They're everywhere at garage sales and flea markets. Get you another one!

Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM

Hubby uses a stove-top percolator. He was using a vintage aluminum one we got at a flea market, then we read about the possible link between aluminum and Alzheimer's (don't want that, runs in the family anyway!), so my mom bought him a stainless steel one for Christmas. The brand is Copco and it cost her $50 about 7 or 8 years ago. (not sure where she got it, probably Dillard's or McRae's.) The little clear thingy at the top cracked after a couple of years and I found them on the internet and contacted them and they sent me 2 new ones. The second one is still going (we stopped putting it in the dishwasher).

Hubby always just kept the burner up on high and boiled it for about 5 minutes until I started reading up on coffee making on the internet. Now we turn the burner down as soon as it starts perking, as low as it will go and still keep pushing the water up into the "bubble" at the top, and perk it a couple of minutes longer. It tastes better to me that way, and he said he believed it did to him also, though neither one of us is a professional coffee taster or connoisseur or anything remotely like that.

I occasionally perk it with a filter in the basket, as my daughter doesn't like grounds in her coffee (not even one!!), and I actually like that pretty well also....seems a bit smoother.

I have to add that I really don't even like the taste of coffee....I love the aroma, though, and am trying to teach myself to like the taste because I love drinking hot stuff and sometimes that's all there is.

Old 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Neither drip nor percolators. I need at least a moka pot to get the flavor I like from coffee. The pressure is the thing. I spent years trying to replicate the flavor of coffee I bought at good places only to belatedly realize that the pressure makes all the difference in getting a good flavor (for me at least). An alternative would be a good espresso machine - they produce even higher pressure but are expensive. The moka pot is as cheap as hell, makes a great flavor and I even take it on vacations and camping. ("La greca" as they call it in the Caribbean).

Old 04-08-2015, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 952 times
Best automatic drip coffee maker 2015
Are you searching for the best automatic drip coffee maker that will make every morning of yours refreshing? Well, you have landed on the right page. This article guides you with the top automatic coffee makers that has been bought by innumerable customers and has certainly famed.

Best automatic drip coffee maker 2015 - Drip coffee maker

Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,694,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Drip style coffee tastes better. I prefer a French press over either of the two though.
I disagree, a percolator provides a much deeper and longer brew than a normal drip maker with filter.

Which is why you go to any fancy hotel, their coffees always from a percolator.

If I want a good cup, I don't need either drip or percolator. A good french press is all you need with the right grind.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:02 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,229,478 times
I gave up on automatic drip coffee makers, because I usually only got maybe a year or two out of them before they crap out. It's probably due to hard water, but nevertheless I switched to a stove-top percolator and a French press. Much better coffee!

Old 03-27-2016, 10:35 AM

1 posts, read 717 times
As far as taste is considered, percolators for me too. The problem is with the new ones. They last for about 6 months before they stop working. I went through three of them before realizing they are just not made with the same quality as the new ones. So I went on ebay and bought one that was made in 1957. (It was born the same year as I was.) This coffeemaker was heavier than the new ones I bought. You could tell the quality was better and those were made in the USA. I had it for about a year and it stopped percolating, although it still makes the water very hot. I will never go back to automatic drip and I just ordered another one - from ebay. Another Coffeematic by Universal.

Old 03-27-2016, 10:38 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
Percolator... or a French press. I have some control over the results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink