Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 12:34 AM

748 posts, read 820,060 times

Advertisements

Last two coffee packages I got, one European and one from a Dunkin Donuts Store have been on the over-roasted side. I wonder if it isn't something to do with this year's coffee crop.

Needless to say, it has ruined my day multiple times. Good brew = good day.

It's getting to the point that I'm considering buying my own green beans, so it can be roasted myself. Or buying whole beans, which may be less susceptible to over-roasting. Anybody else having the same problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2014, 12:47 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,865,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concept_fusion View Post
Last two coffee packages I got...have been on the over-roasted side...I wonder if it isn't something to do with this year's coffee crop...I'm considering buying my own green beans, so it can be roasted myself. Or buying whole beans, which may be less susceptible to over-roasting...
From your post I would suggest you learn how the coffee growing, roasting, grinding, brewing process works before you assign blame and attempt to rectify the problem on your own.

Old 03-26-2014, 11:07 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,253,683 times
Quote:
Last two coffee packages I got, one European and one from a Dunkin Donuts Store have been on the over-roasted side. I wonder if it isn't something to do with this year's coffee crop.

It's getting to the point that I'm considering buying my own green beans, so it can be roasted myself. Or buying whole beans, which may be less susceptible to over-roasting. Anybody else having the same problem?
I, also. For the past six months to a year, I've been getting bad coffee. I am trying brand after brand and it's always the same - bad taste. Poor taste anyway. It just doesn't taste like coffee. I don't know what the answer is but something is going on.

As to what Dirt Grinder says, in one case I know I can assign the blame. I'll not name the company. Only say that some years ago, I bought my favorite (at that time) brand as usual. When I opened it, the most terrible odor arose. I showed it to a friend who said it was an insecticide smell. Somewhere, someone had used too much insecticide on the plants. I called the company. They sent me a coupon. I bought a new box of the same coffee. It had the same awful odor. I didn't use it and haven't bought any more of that particular brand since.

Blame? What are they doing to the coffee now? It neither smells nor tastes like the coffee I've known for years. Is there a clue here? I have bought coffee in restaurants that was wonderful. Not every restaurant, of course, but many do have good coffee. Also, the hair salon that I go to provides coffee. They don't know the brand as it comes to them in bulk with no identifiable name. But that coffee is "out-of-this-world" good coffee.

If anyone finds a good coffee, please tell us.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:31 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
I'm not going to suggest than DD has the most wonderful tasting coffee, but I am surprised to hear that someone got a batch of over-roasted DD coffee since they have pretty stringent QC processes to avoid that (their "original" blend is among the lighter roasted mass market coffees out there).

If there's a TJs around you, you might want to try one of their medium roast coffees. They're priced competitively and I find many of their medium roasts to be on a par or better than DD to my taste buds.

Buying whole beans is one way to give yourself some level of confidence. If you don't like over-roasted coffee you can easily see the outside color of the bean. Plus, if you see any significant presence of oils on the beans, you'll know the coffee is either over-roasted or stale.

On roasting yourself, it's the best way to ensure you get seasonal crops and the kinds of coffees you prefer most. If interested, get yourself a Behmor roaster ($300) and order beans from Sweet Maria's to start. You'll end up paying around $5/lb, you'll probably have fun with it and you'll learn a lot. Once you start getting into roasting, you'll likely find yourself going on online forums and learning how to get more proficient at it. But the Behmor is one of the more foolproof home roasters around and the default (press and forget) settings will produce a good roast (the Behmor does not do dark roasts).

Old 03-28-2014, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
I'm not going to suggest than DD has the most wonderful tasting coffee, but I am surprised to hear that someone got a batch of over-roasted DD coffee since they have pretty stringent QC processes to avoid that (their "original" blend is among the lighter roasted mass market coffees out there).

If there's a TJs around you, you might want to try one of their medium roast coffees. They're priced competitively and I find many of their medium roasts to be on a par or better than DD to my taste buds.

Buying whole beans is one way to give yourself some level of confidence. If you don't like over-roasted coffee you can easily see the outside color of the bean. Plus, if you see any significant presence of oils on the beans, you'll know the coffee is either over-roasted or stale.

On roasting yourself, it's the best way to ensure you get seasonal crops and the kinds of coffees you prefer most. If interested, get yourself a Behmor roaster ($300) and order beans from Sweet Maria's to start. You'll end up paying around $5/lb, you'll probably have fun with it and you'll learn a lot. Once you start getting into roasting, you'll likely find yourself going on online forums and learning how to get more proficient at it. But the Behmor is one of the more foolproof home roasters around and the default (press and forget) settings will produce a good roast (the Behmor does not do dark roasts).
I tried Dunkin' Donuts coffee on recommendation of the grocer. I am sorry to say it did not get my vote. I was so glad to finish the can and try something else. Funny thing, though, which ties right in with my comment about restaurant coffees: I have had coffee in a DD café and it was all right. Not great but better than that which I got at the grocers.

So, I ask again. Is the problem what it being placed in the mass markets?

I am remembering the best coffee I ever had and they tell me it is still being sold in Lousiana. French Brand coffee. It has chicory in it. That was (is?) good coffee. Right now I am using Thomas coffee which is better than others but does have a faint bitterness to it.

Old 03-28-2014, 06:52 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,953,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I, also. For the past six months to a year, I've been getting bad coffee. I am trying brand after brand and it's always the same - bad taste. Poor taste anyway. It just doesn't taste like coffee. I don't know what the answer is but something is going on.

I have bought coffee in restaurants that was wonderful. Not every restaurant, of course, but many do have good coffee. Also, the hair salon that I go to provides coffee. They don't know the brand as it comes to them in bulk with no identifiable name.

If anyone finds a good coffee, please tell us.
I am a coffee fiend, and I've had a large variety of different coffees. My favorite coffee is good old Folgers Medium-Dark roast. It's also the most popular brand in America. It's not like that snooty overpriced Starbucks crap. It doesn't taste like lemons, or almonds, or chocolate, or cinnamon, or pumpkin. It tastes like coffee, and that's it. I've never had a problem with Folger's coffee tasting overoasted. I've bought Maxwell House on sale a few times, and it doesn't taste good to me. It has an odd bitter flavor.

That bulk coffee you're talking about might be Community Coffee. It is a popular brand served in restaurants via Cisco restaurant suppliers. You can buy it in the gorcery store now. However, there are several bulk brands served at restaurants, so there's no way to know for sure. I like it a lot.

I'm also a fan of Kaladi Bros coffee, a regional Alaskan brand, but it's too strong for me to drink every day. OP, also you might also check the condition of your coffee pot. Idk what it is, but my coffee pots crater after about 2 years of heavy use, and everything I brew tastes bitter and nasty. I believe maybe the warmer can't regulate the temperature any longer or it's just not brewing right. Then when I buy a new one, the coffee tastes good again. What type of coffeemaker do you have?

Old 03-28-2014, 07:02 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,984,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
I tried Dunkin' Donuts coffee on recommendation of the grocer. I am sorry to say it did not get my vote. I was so glad to finish the can and try something else. Funny thing, though, which ties right in with my comment about restaurant coffees: I have had coffee in a DD café and it was all right. Not great but better than that which I got at the grocers.

So, I ask again. Is the problem what it being placed in the mass markets?

I am remembering the best coffee I ever had and they tell me it is still being sold in Lousiana. French Brand coffee. It has chicory in it. That was (is?) good coffee. Right now I am using Thomas coffee which is better than others but does have a faint bitterness to it.
This is not a criticism of your personal preferences, but I'm having a difficult time understanding why any grocer (or anyone else) would make a recommendation of DD coffee when you have a preference for coffees with chicory. Those two things don't jibe.

I'm in Pittsburgh and some grocers sell Café du Monde from New Orleans, which also has chicory. So I'm guessing that's something that's available nationwide you might want to look for (although I don't think it's cheap).

Old 03-28-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
This is not a criticism of your personal preferences, but I'm having a difficult time understanding why any grocer (or anyone else) would make a recommendation of DD coffee when you have a preference for coffees with chicory. Those two things don't jibe.

I'm in Pittsburgh and some grocers sell Café du Monde from New Orleans, which also has chicory. So I'm guessing that's something that's available nationwide you might want to look for (although I don't think it's cheap).
I don't think he knew I liked coffee with chicory. I'd just said I was having trouble finding a good coffee and he recommended Dunkin' Donut coffee. I used Starbucks Breakfast Blend for some years and swore by it. Then, a couple of years ago, it changed. I don't know what they did but it didn't even smell the same and certainly didn't taste the same. I finally gave up on it.

Old 03-28-2014, 12:28 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,816,833 times
I'm surprised that it was a Dunkin' Donuts--it's usually Fourbucks that serves up the burnt stuff and calls it "strong."

Old 03-28-2014, 12:37 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
Quote:

Ditto. Dunkin Donuts has been on and off in quality. Had some nasty stuff from other brands too, consistency seems to be an issue.

Check you coffee maker, give it a good cleaning and then make sure the water you use is the best you can get. One way to tell is to use some de-ionized water after the cleaning. Run one pot through with just water and then make a fresh pot. Might sure the ills.

Even with the best water I'd experienced on/off with quality.

I just started to blend Folgers (of all things) between their half-cafe and decafe (to get a 1.4 cafe ) and it tastes super. So far no matter how many cans I go through, always tastes good to me.

I know what you mean, bad coffee and you start looking for the reset button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink