Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 05:39 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times

Advertisements

I've discovered "Chinese" food varies in every country I have ever visited. It is reconfigured for local tastes.

Chinese food in India is quite good ... but it is much spicier than the version we have here. For example many restaurants in India that serve Indian food will have something called "Chinese Soup" on the menu. It's really delicious but it's hot and has a peppery taste.

One year ago I played host to former colleagues of mine when I was in the Royal Merchant Navy of the UK who visited me here in Philly. We wanted to have lunch in the famous Reading Terminal Market, but it was too crowded so we ended up in Chinatown (Philly has the 3rd oldest and largest Chinatown in the US after San Franscisco and NYC). One was from England and the other was from Australia ... and honestly they did not recognize any of the dishes on the menu so I ended up ordering for the three of us. I decide to mix some safe dishes like General Tso's Chicken and Barbecue spare ribs with a few more adventurous ones like garlic Bok Choi, Dim Sum pork steamed buns, and dumplings in red out chili oil. My friends devoured the food ... they thought it was an unforgetable banquet!

BTW old fashioned American-Chinese dishes like Shrimp In Lobster Sauce, Egg Foo Young, Chicken Chow Mein is often called "Cantonese" ... but that is nonsense. Nothing Cantonese about those dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 07:07 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've discovered "Chinese" food varies in every country I have ever visited. It is reconfigured for local tastes.

Chinese food in India is quite good ... but it is much spicier than the version we have here. For example many restaurants in India that serve Indian food will have something called "Chinese Soup" on the menu. It's really delicious but it's hot and has a peppery taste.

BTW old fashioned American-Chinese dishes like Shrimp In Lobster Sauce, Egg Foo Young, Chicken Chow Mein is often called "Cantonese" ... but that is nonsense. Nothing Cantonese about those dishes.
I've had the "Chinese" food in India and I agree with you totally.

I think American-Chinese is a cuisine of its own which shouldn't be criticized for being un-authentic, but rather praised for being a distinct cuisine that if made well is delicious!

Old 04-18-2014, 09:23 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

I agree, Chinese food in India is very good, almost addicting. I found myself eating Chinese there more than anything else, never got tired from the taste it was so good.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:34 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
The same goes for nearly every "ethnic" food sold in the US. It simply does not exist in the nations it is named after.

Much has to do with the fact the 'Authenticate" ingredients are not available here.

We have come to the conclusion that if it contains Water Chestnuts and/or Bamboo shoots it must be Chinese.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:19 PM

164 posts, read 195,894 times
I don't think I've ever clapped eyes on an egg foo young before outside the google image search.

I've been eating my home cooked Chinese food with basmati rice and black rice. But that's just me. At least I haven't been churned "raw" Chinese food yet. I don't think you can even call it Chinese food at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I think American-Chinese is a cuisine of its own which shouldn't be criticized for being un-authentic, but rather praised for being a distinct cuisine that if made well is delicious!
I don't know... let's just say that American Chinese is more suited for the (non ethnic Chinese) American palate.

Old 04-19-2014, 11:06 AM

963 posts, read 2,302,433 times
What I find more intriguing is that the "Americanization" of Chinese food makes it much more unhealthy. The greater emphasis on salt and sugar laden spices, fried ingredients, and fatty meats has not enhanced Chinese food in any way. That is even true of japanese food as well. American style sushi add more fried, fatty and salty elements.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:58 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
What I find more intriguing is that the "Americanization" of Chinese food makes it much more unhealthy. The greater emphasis on salt and sugar laden spices, fried ingredients, and fatty meats has not enhanced Chinese food in any way. That is even true of japanese food as well. American style sushi add more fried, fatty and salty elements.
That is American food in general; over salted, sugared, and butter/oil; it is cheaper that way and makes things last longer, basically costs drive the product.

Luckily, there are more options now to avoid this stuff than even ten years ago, maybe American food is shifting in what it is.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:28 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
Oh goodness. Real Chinese food is so much different than what you find in the food courts at malls. lol. Most big cities have a few authentic restaurants though.

Most Americans aren't thrilled at the idea of eating sauteed chicken feet though. lol. Even though they are DELICIOUS!

Old 04-19-2014, 03:32 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,339,276 times
And I am sorry but I have to say this. PF Changs needs to straight up take their "Sichuan Beef" off the menu. It isn't Sichuan in even the slightest sense of the word. They need to call it what it is which is beef with sweet bell peppers. I have never found a piece of Chinese food so butchered by American chefs as the sichuan beef at PF Changs.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The same goes for nearly every "ethnic" food sold in the US.
What I don't understand is why people would have a problem with this.

What does it matter if Happy Wok or wherever "isn't authentic," as long as the food it serves is good? I have a hard time believing anybody would expect it to be authentic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink