Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:33 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times

Advertisements

Broiled serpent cake. Anyone tried that? With strawberries and tamari sauce on it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 09:37 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,837,936 times
Andrew Zimmer made it all look so tempting. Especially the fried scorpions. MMMMMM.....

Old 04-20-2014, 09:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
...Especially the fried scorpions. MMMMMM.....
Those are actually quite pedestrian in the world of Entomophagy - mealworms are probably at the same level.

Old 04-21-2014, 07:20 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,933,605 times
Not eating meat is a decision.... eating meat is an instinct.

Bring that live cow over to the table... I'll carve what I want and ride the rest home.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
I've had grasshoppers and ants, but I really wasn't impressed; I have never longed for them. However, I understand earthworms are rather tasty so I dug up a few recipes. There are a number of books treating entomophagy at amazon including one Kindle title available for loan to those who have Prime.

Earthworms and earthworms seem to good choices; even apartment dwellers could have their own worm ranches. Perhaps the not so distant future we'll be raising worms and buying Earthworm and Mealworm Helper for quick, tasty, and nutritious meals.

It would be great if there were no more need to raise animal feed in marginal areas; it could reduce or reverse depletion of aquifers in this country.

Troubled Times: Recipes

http://www.amazon.com/Edible-Adventu...pr_product_top

Amazon.com: entomophagy: Books

Old 04-21-2014, 08:54 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,546,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
I've eaten quite a few insects - some are great and some are shocking. Look up Giant Water Bug dishes - that's one I can't handle.
I've eaten a few insects, but never intentionally.

Speaking of which, if a friend of yours put a forkful of food in their mouth, and just a millisecond before it entered the mouth a fly landed on the forkful of food, and this fly then got put in the mouth and your friend started chewing, and had a puzzled look, would you say something that might make your friend regurgitate, or would you stay silent?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:55 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
I would gladly give up beef if necessary, but I'm not going to replace it with insects.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:52 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
the ewww & ick women that can barely make a burger patty or boil a live lobster, is not going to be eating insects.

and im not sure enough research has been done, how do we know with all the trillions of insects in the world, that they are not contributing to global warming with their flatulance??

will we have farm-raised worms & grasshoppers?? will we need country of origin labelling on wild caught insects?? where were they hatched??
will they be mass-produced in grasshopper feedlots and commercially farmed?? will they be grass fed?? organic?? or a low grade locust, laden with chemicals from big drug companies??

and as soon as their is one out-break of "mad-beetle" the peti (people for the ethical treatment of insects) wackos and vegans will be jumping all over this, along with the media sensationalizing every illness or sickness as an insect epidemic

I can see the bumper stickers on the prius's now "meat is murder, beetles aren't burger"
"grasshoppers have a face" "jiminy cricket doesnt belong in a stew"

the op could be dead on right about insects as a source of protein.....just 3-4 generations ago(living on farms or growing your own) many of our grandmothers were killing chickens and pigs to eat, - it was a way of life & survival-
they didnt have the luxury of being squeamish

now the "gross" factor is the main hurdle to overcome-the same green earth crowd that doesnt eat red meat /any meat/seafood anymore are not going to be eating worms and beetles...
and this isnt the crowd you have to convince to change over- but they have loud voices....and agenda-driven

most of us have already eaten a fair share of insects- many of us that jog, or run, ride bikes, or live in the country inhale by accident flying bugs...

and on a microscopic level, it would scare us to see the little critters we already eat-even when just snoring with our mouths open... or that live on our skin, or when we go swimming in a lake and gulp some water

when the beloved "whole foods" starts to have a "whole insect" section in their stores, thats when the media and others may transition to eating them, i say media, because this will be ridiculed at first.... the comedians and talk shows will have a field-day with this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink