Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 02:01 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
You are totally missing what some are saying: I guess tech you can call anything food borne if food is involved at all, but this isn't the point. I think you have chosen to take a story and spin it to a degree. Not to mention, believe it or not, FDA isn't one of the dept that can be trusted 100%. I don't put a lot into any federal government study.
Perhaps, you could enlighten us why you don't trust the FDA or why you would not "put a lot" into any federal government study.

The FDA is probably the best source there is when it comes to this sort of thing.

If you don't agree, maybe you could point us to the "real sources" on such a topic. I wouldn't want to be mislead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 06:26 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I can't speak for nmnita, but I think some people are differentiating between illness caused by a situation like spoiled eggs or dairy or undercooked meats and that caused by food that came into contact with a contaminated vector (if that's the right word,) like a food handler who hasn't washed his or her hands. In the second case, the illness wasn't caused by anything inherent to the food. Sure, it's all bacteria or viruses, but if someone gets the flu from touching a doorknob, they wouldn't say they had "doorknob poisoning."
There is no difference between an infection acquired by "spoilage" or food being "undercooked" and one acquired by contamination from an infected food handler. The disease is still considered "foodborne" because the infection results from eating food containing the offending organism. It does not matter how that organism actually arrived in the food.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:27 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Sure, it's all bacteria or viruses, but if someone gets the flu from touching a doorknob, they wouldn't say they had "doorknob poisoning."
Good answer!

Old 03-28-2015, 02:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Perhaps, you could enlighten us why you don't trust the FDA or why you would not "put a lot" into any federal government study.

The FDA is probably the best source there is when it comes to this sort of thing.

If you don't agree, maybe you could point us to the "real sources" on such a topic. I wouldn't want to be mislead.
Well first of all, this is just my opinion and many will not agree, many do: I don't take too much of anything government agencies publish as 100% honest or accurate. I base this on experience: my husband worked for the federal govenment for 8 years as a political appointee.
Aside from that, a friend this morning just sent me a report: uforturately I don't know his sourse, but what it said is something many of us have heard before, even here on CD: the FDA doesn't even pay much attention to the foods imported from China. Much of our chicken, for instance is grown here, but processed in China or Korea; How many really realize this? Even if we check the label, it isn't clean and the FDA does nothing about it. Too many of us, me included are gullible and believe what we see as the gosple truth. We don't dig deep enough, we are too trusting. Does this mean I will not buy foods that may have been procesed outside the USA or I am going to let it bother me so much I lose sleep?of course not, I am simply saying the FDA is not always up front, don't take them at their word 100%. Even if thier reports are somewhat accurate, which I am sure many are, they are based on studies that are not always scientific and are printed in a simplistic way. If details and deep explanations were added, the average person would not be able to totally comprehend what they were saying. Generalization and simplistic reports are much easier to understand.

Old 03-28-2015, 04:14 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
The two times I have had food poisoning were from mom and pop type places. IMO your chances of getting food poisoning or having contaminated food from a fast food chain are very low because they are obsessed with image and they tend to be very strict on how food/drinks are handled as a result.

I have a friend who is a health inspector for our county's health department and he has said that very rarely do they have a problem with fast food chains or chain casual establishments. Most of their problems are at mom and pop places which he speculates is due to their lower profit margin making them more likely to cut corners and be more risky.

Old 03-28-2015, 07:19 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Well first of all, this is just my opinion and many will not agree, many do: I don't take too much of anything government agencies publish as 100% honest or accurate. I base this on experience: my husband worked for the federal govenment for 8 years as a political appointee.
Aside from that, a friend this morning just sent me a report: uforturately I don't know his sourse, but what it said is something many of us have heard before, even here on CD: the FDA doesn't even pay much attention to the foods imported from China. Much of our chicken, for instance is grown here, but processed in China or Korea; How many really realize this? Even if we check the label, it isn't clean and the FDA does nothing about it. Too many of us, me included are gullible and believe what we see as the gosple truth. We don't dig deep enough, we are too trusting. Does this mean I will not buy foods that may have been procesed outside the USA or I am going to let it bother me so much I lose sleep?of course not, I am simply saying the FDA is not always up front, don't take them at their word 100%. Even if thier reports are somewhat accurate, which I am sure many are, they are based on studies that are not always scientific and are printed in a simplistic way. If details and deep explanations were added, the average person would not be able to totally comprehend what they were saying. Generalization and simplistic reports are much easier to understand.
nita,,

ive had customers call me this week asking about Chinese chickens,,

I have absolutely none and no other store in new England has any

just because the fda is playing games with importing/exporting doesn't mean at all the stores are going to buy Chinese chicken

there has been a country of origin law in place for years,,

now its more complete,,, not just country of origin but born/raised/ and harvested

if by chance ANY CHINESE CHICKEN DOES HIT A RETAIL STORE IN THE FUTURE IT HAS TO BE LABELLED AS SUCH

I hope we don't get broadbrushed-pinkslimed on this issue

Old 04-01-2015, 11:31 PM

759 posts, read 1,357,226 times
Quote:
Were any other guests at the wedding affected, or was it just you? Stories like this are why some people are hesitant to believe every food poisoning story. No doubt that you were sick as a dog, but if you were the only person from the reception who had this result it probably wasn't from what you ate.
As a matter of fact, I've worked in food service kitchens for the past 35 years, have taken courses in best practices, and am a certified food safety manager. If more than one person is poisoned by the food at any single dining event, it is classified as an outbreak. That's right, two people getting sick can equal an outbreak in the eyes of the health department. I'm very familiar with the types and processes of food-borne illnesses, incubation periods, symptoms, outcomes, etc.
Single cases of food poisoning are much more common than one might expect, as often the offending bacterial/viral growth-or more often the toxin exuded by that bacteria or virus as a by-product- is initially confined to a small portion of the offending food product. Likewise, it may be only a single portion of food product that is contaminated by a food service handler who is not following proper hygienic technique. If that is the portion consumed, then watch out.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:35 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,529,245 times
I got violently ill from a fish sandwich at McD's...many years back but I was so ill that I never forgot it.

I stopped eating from buffets when I watched a kid putting his hands in the lettuce at a salad bar in a Wendy's...& his mother watched him do it...

Old 07-30-2015, 06:54 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Default Ever had food poisoning from a restaurant?

Oh brother!
You know when it came from the restaurant...there is no doubt!

I report all to the Health Dept to save others!

They go in and observe...then they call you in 2 weeks and tell you, 'Yup, you were
right'...and tell you how they taught the restaurant what the problem was and
how to do it correctly...you don't get the place in 'trouble'.
Mistakes happen ---usually with temperature.

You can feel it in an hour or the next day! Haha, even the Health inspector I spoke to told
me how he had a perfectly cooked, hot dog on the
streets of Chicago, tasted great and got food poisoning.

I'll tell my stories later.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:44 AM

396 posts, read 512,830 times
Suspected yes, but nothing ever formally confirmed by the health department. It has only happened a couple of times.

There are certain foods I won't touch at picnics and on buffets just because of the potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink