Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 PM

22,665 posts, read 24,614,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Most of the foods I get from bulk bins aren't the sort of things that people are going to be sampling ... rice, beans, oats, quinoa, various flours, etc.

Well, If it is in an open bin(as opposed to a closed, gravity-fed bin) I want to be able to clean it off.

Vegetables and fruit, that is easy to clean. But when some sneezy kids hacks into the cereal or candy bin, yuck.

I just avoid customer opened food-bins.......like I said, a dumb and obsolete storage method for a modern grocery store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 09:31 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,830,458 times
We have some grocery stores here with pick your own donuts or muffins that they have those tissues you are supposed to use. I remember growing up we had a bulk candy store with those scoopers but some of the candy is unwrapped.
I do joke with my mom not to eat any free samples at the grocery without a person there handing them out if the items is not wrapped.
I try to not think about these things or worry too much for example I am not one to wipe down the grocery cart. I think most healthy bodies are supposed to be able to fight bacteria etc.

Old 07-05-2014, 05:54 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,229,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
eh, bread like that is not supposed to be all covered up, it is mainly crusty Italian breads and if they are wrapped when warm they get all soggy from the moisture.
Agree, it defeats the purpose of eating crusty breads. The better option is a paper bag (after the bread cools).

http://image.shutterstock.com/displa...-126478718.jpg

Last edited by baileyvpotter; 07-05-2014 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: error

Old 07-05-2014, 07:18 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,930,757 times
Fact of the matter is bacteria are every where and by allowing them our bodies can become resistant to them but by shielding our bodies do not build immunities.
When you travel to another part of the world, the water is different, and you have to adjust .

You body is learning to build antibodies by this exposure.
Ever notice how poor families are healthier than rich .

Kids are allowed to play in the dirt and even eat food that dropped on the floor ,these almost never see a doctor or hospital.
But kids/people that live in a sterile environment are significantly more susceptible to decease and infection and have nothing but trouble. These are in the doctors office regularly.
I have seen this all my life ( 63 years )
Yes there are aggressive deceases that are greater then most immune systems can handle ,Governments develop these for warfare , make no mistake.
Because a lot of them did not exist 50 years ago.
Bread or any food for that matter is going to have some risk even if you make it at home .
Best advise I have is don't eat breads to begin with, it is a stale dead food kin to junk food.
Our bodies live on living tissue not dead tissue.
The dead tissue creates a sludge that clogs the arteries, and that is where we get many relevant deceases like diabetes .
(Stale food vs Fresh food by Robert S Ford B. S.) 1971

Old 07-05-2014, 08:10 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,955,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
. I agree about the open bins. I don't buy bread or pastries out of those bread box/bins either. And yet another reason I won't go to self-serve buffets.

Remember when there were "salad bars" everywhere? I rarely see them anymore. I was a little surprised to see one at the new Fresh Market that opened nearby. I think the downfall of salad bars was that poisoning incident in the Pacific NW years ago.

I'll buy my bread wrapped up, or directly from the baker, thank you.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:12 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
Remember when there were "salad bars" everywhere? I rarely see them anymore. I was a little surprised to see one at the new Fresh Market that opened nearby. I think the downfall of salad bars was that poisoning incident in the Pacific NW years ago.
I still see salad bars all over the place. There are two near my office that I visit frequently.

If there are fewer of them, it's likely because they're too labor intensive to be cost effective.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:54 AM

670 posts, read 1,044,658 times
I also agree about the open bins. Sneeze guards don't always work either. I was in a store shopping one day, and they had a little stand with a sneeze guard. Under it were samples of cherry strudel. I saw an older man walk up to it, opened the cover to remove a piece, and a big glob of drool came out of his mouth and landed on another piece of strudel.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:28 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissSoBelle View Post
I also agree about the open bins. Sneeze guards don't always work either. I was in a store shopping one day, and they had a little stand with a sneeze guard. Under it were samples of cherry strudel. I saw an older man walk up to it, opened the cover to remove a piece, and a big glob of drool came out of his mouth and landed on another piece of strudel.
Yes, this can certainly be a problem, and it's pretty gross. My solution has been to hit the market first thing in the morning just as the employees have finished filling the open bins. It's important to me to purchase as much of my groceries as possible package-free, but I'd like to avoid food that's been handled by customers, whose hygiene habits can vary dramatically.

Old 07-05-2014, 02:46 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
People are FAR too afraid of germs. Fresh-baked bread is not going to be germy until you leave it out for hours and hours at the very least --germs skeeve fresh food -- and most people these days have the sense not to spread germs if they have been exposed to something.

Also: Most germs are harmless, if not beneficial, to people coming in contact with them.

Old 07-05-2014, 04:03 PM

670 posts, read 1,044,658 times
Default Sneeze Guards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
People are FAR too afraid of germs. Fresh-baked bread is not going to be germy until you leave it out for hours and hours at the very least --germs skeeve fresh food -- and most people these days have the sense not to spread germs if they have been exposed to something.

Also: Most germs are harmless, if not beneficial, to people coming in contact with them.
Are you an M.D. or a Ph.D. level bacteriologist? You don't appear to be either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink