Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 11:51 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Oh, and that "Chinese" dish made with a can of vegetables, a can of chicken, and a can of crunchy noodles.
That sounds like chicken a la king. Or maybe chop suey. Which are as Chinese as the bald eagle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 08:11 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
My kids love mac and cheese so one day I decided to follow a receipe online using really high quality cheeses and fresh macroni pasta bought from supermarket. It cost probably around $12 to make and it tasted pretty good but the kids hated it. They said the cheese taste funny. I said that's real cheese not the gooey fake milk flavored cheese they use in school.

The point of all this is that kids and people can be conditioned to enjoy bad food if that's their 1st example of the dish.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:34 AM

5,118 posts, read 3,419,949 times
My husband would say Johnny Marzetti, without a doubt. To this day, he won't eat any pasta with the sauce mixed in. I blame the school cafeteria.

Old 09-22-2016, 01:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
My kids love mac and cheese so one day I decided to follow a receipe online using really high quality cheeses and fresh macroni pasta bought from supermarket. It cost probably around $12 to make and it tasted pretty good but the kids hated it. They said the cheese taste funny. I said that's real cheese not the gooey fake milk flavored cheese they use in school.

The point of all this is that kids and people can be conditioned to enjoy bad food if that's their 1st example of the dish.
reminds me of the time we had our granddaughter over for her birthday dinner. I think she must have been 11 or 12; we invited her best friend as well: of course and dd and sil were there. I spent hours making my favorite mac and cheese knowing mac and cheese was her favorite dish. DD told me, when it was too late, she didn't think Sarah would be in love with it: she was right, I used 5 cheeses, made a wonderful white sauce with 1/2 and 1/2 and made sure the top of the dish got really nice and brown. I think her comment was something like: grandma this isn't the same as Kraft that mommy always gets for us. Lesson learned!!!!

Old 09-22-2016, 03:59 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
reminds me of the time we had our granddaughter over for her birthday dinner. I think she must have been 11 or 12; we invited her best friend as well: of course and dd and sil were there. I spent hours making my favorite mac and cheese knowing mac and cheese was her favorite dish. DD told me, when it was too late, she didn't think Sarah would be in love with it: she was right, I used 5 cheeses, made a wonderful white sauce with 1/2 and 1/2 and made sure the top of the dish got really nice and brown. I think her comment was something like: grandma this isn't the same as Kraft that mommy always gets for us. Lesson learned!!!!

lol

we were on a special work project in NYC and stayed in Chinatown....

for 7 nights we went out to eat,,,,different restaurants..
one of the managers went on and on about "authentic" blah blah blah..

first Chinese restaurant we are in....I order a pupu platter,,,,the waiter wanted to hit me,,,"that is Americanized food...not authentic!!!!!! well,,i said I'm from maine and all ive had is Chinese take out.....but I love the pupup platter...what do you have that's close..
he was upset and said I will bring you a much better dish "authentic!!

then the waiter looks at the guy (from maine) next to me,,,and right away he orders "duck sauce" well again the waiter got a little dramatic..

anyways..... the food he brought was good,,,,but I still would have preferred a pupu platter

this scene played out the rest of the week in different restaurants..

after 7 nights of real Chinese food,, in Chinatown ,,i still prefer the places around here

Old 09-22-2016, 04:39 PM

24,123 posts, read 32,484,271 times
OK. I'll give my take on each of these foods. Not all of them were in everyone's home. I don't eat meat or poultry any longer - but not because I don't like it. For other reasons.

1. Creamed Corn - we didn't eat canned vegetables very much at home. I had this at school and as I remember, I liked it. My mother made scalloped corn. But out of fresh corn

2. baloney and mayo sandwiches -
I had them at other people's houses and they were OK. We ate liverwurst and mustard more. Not much "lunch meat"

3.fish sticks -
We had them. Depending upon the brand, I think they were OK.

4. liver and onions -
Big shock - we had this twice a month. My father loved it, and my mother thought it was good for us. She made calves liver, which is milder than beef. If I still ate meat, I'd probably still eat it. I also enjoyed chopped chicken liver.

5. instant mac and cheese -
We never ate this. My mother made her own macaroni and cheese. I have the recipe and it's delicious.

6. Spam -
We never ate this product. I have no intention to try it now.

7. Jello -
We ate this a lot as children as an after school snack with a spritz of whipped cream. It was also served as desert with school lunch. I like it. If you are vegan or vegetarian you need not deprive yourself of this shimmering desert. There are bone and hoof free varieties.

8. canned spaghetti ravioli -
this was never served in my house. Once in a while we had frozen ravioli.

9.school lunch pizza -
I liked it. It was served on Fridays. It didn't taste like regular pizza. But I loved it's strange cheese and cardboard like crust.

10. tuna noodle casserole -
Mom made it we ate it. I like it, and made it last night.

12. pot pies -
LOVED THEM! I make home made ones now, with everything from broccoli and cheese to roasted root veggies. Still like them. I make them from scratch. Not hard.

13. cottage cheese salad. -
I don't remember ever having this. I like cottage cheese. So there is a possibility that I would like it. We had cottage cheese at home, but not a cottage cheese salad. I'll have to Google that.

Old 09-22-2016, 06:51 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Besides the jello, my mother would never have fed us that drek.

She also sent us with lunch every day. So no school cafeteria drek.

Old 09-23-2016, 07:19 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,304,779 times
Anyone say "Whole Leaf Spinach" from a can? I remember the long stem getting caught in my throat... (gaaagh )

Old 09-23-2016, 11:45 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I haven't read the whole thread, or even the OP (LOL) but I'll chime in with foods that I remember disliking as a kid.

First of all, let me preface that by saying that I am from a southern family and that we are also a military family. So southern roots, but lots of exposure to a wide variety of foods. We lived in Japan for awhile when I was a kid, and my mom even took professional cooking classes focusing on Asian foods, so we had a lot of that growing up (which I always, always loved).

1. My first food dislike that I recall is meat in general. That is, any sort of meat that you'd have to chew on, like steak or chicken or pork. I'm pretty sure I got choked on a piece of beef when I was about 4 and that played into that dislike. I didn't enjoy any meat other than ground beef or bacon or some fish, or small pieces of meat in soup (like chicken soup or chicken and dumplings) till I was probably nearly grown. I'm not a vegetarian, but to this day I can live just as gladly and die just as sadly and never eat a piece of meat. But at least now I don't feel like I'm going to gag on it.

2. Brussel sprouts - oh, how I hated those things! And for some reason my mom cooked them A LOT. I really, really hated them. Which is weird because now I love them.

3. Liver - any sort of liver. I remember one time when I was about seven, my parents went out of town for a week and a couple they knew watched my brother and me for that week, in their home. I was on my very best behavior, believe me. This was a BIG THING to be left at someone else's home. One night, they served LIVER. As an adult, I now have to question why on earth they would fix and serve liver to visiting children, but that's what went down. I was so horrified. I absolutely could not eat it, and they fully expected me to do so. I remember folding it discreetly into my napkin and then taking the napkin outside after dinner and hiding it in some bushes!

4. Jello - always hated it, still do. I never liked the consistency of it.

5. Kool Aid - I never could stand the sticky sweetness of that stuff. I hated the chemical taste of it as well. Blech.

6. OATMEAL. OMG, my mom was huge into cooking up a big ol' bowl of oatmeal in the mornings (I always called it "porridge" and would think "Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot, nine days old," when I'd come downstairs and realize there was a huge steaming bowl of the stuff sitting there at my place). I really, really disliked it, probably because my mom was sort of a health nut and so she strictly regulated the amount of salt and sugar and butter we could put in that oatmeal. Now as an adult, I think it's pretty good stuff - with adequate seasoning.

7. Pancakes and waffles - for breakfast anyway. For some reason, eating something this sweet for breakfast always made me feel queasy. I could enjoy them for supper, but that hardly ever happened.

8. I guess if I'd been offered chitlins, or tripe, or brains, or pigs' feet, or something else along those lines, I probably wouldn't have gone for those either, but I didn't run into those things at the table growing up. I really liked just about everything else we ate regularly - even the turnip greens, squash, black eyed peas, etc that are southern staples. I also really loved and still love Asian foods - "authentic" and "Americanized," though my favorites are the authentic dishes.

My parents were both really into "natural foods" and my mom enjoyed cooking, so there wasn't much bologne, hot dogs, Spam, or other processed foods in our kitchen or on our table. Consequently, to this day I don't much care for that sort of thing. I'm not a picky eater, but given the choice between, say, whole wheat or white, I have always defaulted to whole wheat. Even as a kid, if I could choose between pizza and soda, or chicken and dumplings, turnip greens, black eyed peas and iced tea - I always went for the latter.

School lunches always horrified me. Except for the mac and cheese, and the chocolate sheet cake. Those were cool.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:02 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
6. OATMEAL. OMG, my mom was huge into cooking up a big ol' bowl of oatmeal in the mornings (I always called it "porridge" and would think "Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot, nine days old," when I'd come downstairs and realize there was a huge steaming bowl of the stuff sitting there at my place). I really, really disliked it, probably because my mom was sort of a health nut and so she strictly regulated the amount of salt and sugar and butter we could put in that oatmeal. Now as an adult, I think it's pretty good stuff - with adequate seasoning.
You can say that again. Oatmeal was a common breakfast dish in my family while I was growing up. My family wasn't good at cooking it, I guess, because it always look like beige slop. The smell was equally bad. I was allowed to put jelly or cut-up fruit into it, but they didn't reduce the nastiness. To add insult to the injury, even if I used a big tablespoon to speed up the eating (refusing was not an option), the bowl didn't seem to get emptier as I ate. It almost seemed like it was being refilled from the bottom via a hidden pump.

To this day, I gag at the smell of microwaved popcorn at the office, because it smells an awful lot like oatmeal. Which, unfortunately, everybody and their brother makes for an afternoon snack. Every. Single. Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink