Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Yes 33 55.00%
No 27 45.00%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 12:47 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,725,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Look at the cities where these places are located. Filled with mindless sheeple that cannot think for themselves and are caught up in the whole herd mentality.

I shake my head.

20yrsinBranson
Plus, they have no taste in food. The last time I stood in line for food was at the Amity pancake breakfast. The Valley Women's Club puts out 1800 breakfasts in 4 hours one Sunday a year. The line can get to be 100 people long, but it moves pretty fast. They built a town library from the proceeds, and offer a free breakfast to any antique car party that shows up. It's a major stop on the summer antique car tour. Nobody goes for the food. Anybody with a stove and a pan can make a better breakfast at home. I can't believe someone would stand in line for a hot dog with no other event attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2014, 02:51 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,242,308 times
The wait at the 3 Dive Jerk Centre in Negril Jamaica is about 3 hours, but it was worth it.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:27 PM

245 posts, read 713,550 times
I waited in 2 hours to get Pinks in LA once. The hour went quick so by the time we got to the front, we still couldn't decide what to get

Old 10-03-2014, 05:31 PM

215 posts, read 351,647 times
Lines annoy me.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:16 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Honestly, I only ate the Black and White cookies there, but they were so good that I made a return trip there (after sampling the supposed 5 best black and whites in the city) and brought several home with me. Even 1.5 weeks after purchasing and storing in a plastic bag, they were still amazing. In fact, I'm getting married in December and one of my groomsmen is tasked with bringing me some of those incredible cookies with him here to San Diego.

From what I saw, their bread looked amazing too, and there was a bit of a line considering the time of day I was there. NYC has so much amazing food. While there I also tried the soup from the Soup Nazi which lived up to the hype for me and was a surprisingly good bargain considering the hype.
I know a guy born in Germany who says that in his home country, black and white cookies are called Americans.

Old 10-03-2014, 08:55 PM

42,000 posts, read 75,350,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Are you kidding? Junk food joints have lines where you live?
Have you never heard of "lunchtime"?

Old 10-04-2014, 06:33 AM

5,652 posts, read 7,000,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
OTOH, there is a Mexican restaurant (not Tex-Mex) across the street that is always full. Most times you can get a table, and you end up waiting 20 minutes for your food, but the drinks come right away. Sometimes we order take-out there. They have a 32" nacho tray that will feed 20 people at a pot luck. It features fresh Pico de Gallo and 3 different kinds of salsa, along with the traditional olives, fresh tomatillos, refritos, sour cream and chips. The prices are about the same as you would pay at Taco Bell.

I can't believe there is a town of over 10,000 people anywhere in the USA that doesn't sport a decent Mexican restaurant. Why would you eat that tasteless chain store crap?
Really, you went to the trouble of pointing out that a place is authentic Mexican and NOT Tex-Mex then mentioned a 32" nacho tray and "traditional" sour cream?

Too funny. Maybe it's time you take a trip to Mexico.

FWIW, 98% of the menus served in "Mexican" restaurants in US are Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex in origin. There's nothing wrong with that. Tex-Mex and Cal-Mex are delicious derivative cuisines. Fajitas, burritos, nachos, sour cream, lettuce and cheese on tacos, frozen margaritas, chunky salsa, flour tortillas, even chile con carne... all contributed by the good ole' US of A, mostly by cowboys and ranchers of the Southwest.

Last edited by sskink; 10-04-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 10-04-2014, 02:54 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,240,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Some of the best foods I've had are places that are not very well known and not hyped up. All of the places that have long lines are just expect-able, not terrible just not worth the wait and hassle.
Those highly rated places are just more successful with advertising through social media. The best places are still unknown because they are only known by word of mouth.
That is so true (except for my post about Irene's).

Old 10-04-2014, 08:27 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,834,066 times
There was some restaurant somewhere in Connecticut, back in the late 1960's/early 1970's. I'll never forget, it was during a big fashion craze - maxi dresses, but not just any floor-length dress, all the "in-girls" wore Gunne Sax prairie maxies. This restaurant had some kind of insane special, if you wore one, you'd get your entree free. So my sister and I both got our fake Caldor's version of Gunne Sax maxi-granny-prairie gowns, and my parents took us to this place for baked stuffed shrimp. We stood outside for almost two hours just to get in, and then another half hour before we were seated.

I don't think I'll ever wait that long for food again, unless I'm literally starving and there's only one source of food.

Old 10-04-2014, 08:35 PM

88,741 posts, read 85,100,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
There was some restaurant somewhere in Connecticut, back in the late 1960's/early 1970's. I'll never forget, it was during a big fashion craze - maxi dresses, but not just any floor-length dress, all the "in-girls" wore Gunne Sax prairie maxies. This restaurant had some kind of insane special, if you wore one, you'd get your entree free. So my sister and I both got our fake Caldor's version of Gunne Sax maxi-granny-prairie gowns, and my parents took us to this place for baked stuffed shrimp. We stood outside for almost two hours just to get in, and then another half hour before we were seated.

I don't think I'll ever wait that long for food again, unless I'm literally starving and there's only one source of food.
Oh my God. Gunne Sax dresses. And Caldor, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink