Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 04:51 PM

151 posts, read 162,359 times

Advertisements

No, but I have cut down on it to 1 time a month....Watching the calories some these days...And portion control...But once a month is great to just "cut loose" on the healthy eating for a day....We're all human, darn it!! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2014, 10:31 PM

38,909 posts, read 22,900,003 times
I have cut way back on my eating out, mostly due to economic and health reasons. I will occasionally get something on the weekend from a fast food place but ONLY if I have coupons for the items I want to get.

I bring lunch from home every day, since I have only 30 minutes for lunch. I can go out during lunch and get something to eat but would need to bring it back with me and eat at my desk, which I'd rather not do since my job involves handling a lot of documents and I don't want to have food stains on them.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:14 AM

2,202 posts, read 2,305,759 times
Wife would kill me!

Old 07-15-2016, 09:01 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
The wife and I only eat at a restaurant once per week. We prefer cooking at home because portions are smaller, and I always have leftovers.

We only go out for things that are hard to make at home: Asian, Mexican, and pizza.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:14 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
It's completely beyond me how people can afford it. Well, they can't; they go bankrupt. But it never occurs to them to quit eating out! One of my coworkers got off the phone with a debt collector and immediately made a call to friends to meet at a restaurant. I will occasionally go out just to be sociable, but I'll order a glass or wine or beer (the markup is ridiculous -- I could buy a whole bottle or six-pack for what I pay there for one -- but, again, I'm being sociable) and enjoy my appetizer with that. I've already asked that my entrée be brought last and already be boxed up to go; that will be lunch the next day. We usually split a dessert, because really just one or two bites satisfy. Even then I can't get out of there for under $20! That's groceries for a whole week, the way I shop and cook at home. Wasteful!

And don't even get me started on the number of diners who leave half the food on their plates behind.

That said: I WILL "eat out" for authentic ethnic fare I can't make myself or get elsewhere, as I have adventurous tastes, but -- again -- the price of one meal will translate into two or three for me getting a doggie bag for my leftovers. There's no shame in my game. In fact, it's all I can do not to ask my dining companions for THEIR leftovers if they're not taking them home, and sometimes I actually do...

Old 07-15-2016, 12:07 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
Nope. I go out to eat 3-5 times a week and think restaurants are better than ever. I'm happy I don't live in one of the chain restaurant wastelands described elsewhere on this thread.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:51 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Nope. I go out to eat 3-5 times a week and think restaurants are better than ever. I'm happy I don't live in one of the chain restaurant wastelands described elsewhere on this thread.

Agree - We eat out at least once a week. I can't remember the last time we went to a chain restaurant.

Old 07-15-2016, 05:29 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times
I did but in its place I'm using one of those meal preparation places for most of my lunches at work and dinner at work. Occasionally I'll eat out but not as much as I used to.

Cost wise it's comparable, no savings either way really.

Once in a while I'll go on a fast food binge but otherwise not like in my 20's when I was eating out almost everyday, fast food, take out, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink