Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:24 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

I cannot stand how crappy stuff tastes nowadays. They dont put hardily any salt/sugar in AND THE STUFF TATSES LIKE CRAP!! (We have the govt to thank for this)

Lately I have discovered I can tweak stuff to how I remember it tasting!!

V8 JUICE - I add salt and sugar until it tastes how I like it......
ORANGE JUICE - Oh my,tastes horrible!!!! (Only 22g of sugar in an 89oz bottle)

I add 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar to a glass and man is it good!!!! (Like I remember it)

Tomato soup - Man I can get this tasting good again also... Adding salt/sugar until its just right....

Some stuff cannot be tweaked this way because they use a DIFFERENT KIND OF SALT/SUGAR and when you add table salt/sugar,it tastes funny

Im glad I can tweak the stuff I can!!

What are some stuff you guys find yourselves tweaking??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 04:47 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
That orange juice is grams of sugar per serving, not bottle.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:09 AM

709 posts, read 955,312 times
While some things taste differently than they used to, I think your taste is off if you are tweaking that many items.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:05 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
You lost me when you said you add salt to canned soup.
I identify with you, though, because it seems to me like foods are more bland lately. It's as if they are dumbed down, and we have been trained to accept mediocrity. Why do you think so many of us grow tomatoes, when the stores are full of them? Mediocrity.
I don't drink orange juice, I eat oranges.
I hardly ever use convenience foods, so I make things the way I like them.
I want fresh vegetables, and foods with as few additives as possible. If you go this route, I think you will be happier with the taste.

Old 10-10-2014, 08:14 AM

86 posts, read 98,286 times
Only pre-made thing I tweak is canned baked beans, add some pureed chipotles, few spices, lil bbq sauce and maybe if I have a lil bit of bbq rub around add that to it.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:16 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I cannot stand how crappy stuff tastes nowadays. They dont put hardily any salt/sugar in AND THE STUFF TATSES LIKE CRAP!! (We have the govt to thank for this)

Lately I have discovered I can tweak stuff to how I remember it tasting!!

V8 JUICE - I add salt and sugar until it tastes how I like it......
ORANGE JUICE - Oh my,tastes horrible!!!! (Only 22g of sugar in an 89oz bottle)

I add 2 or 3 teaspoons of sugar to a glass and man is it good!!!! (Like I remember it)

Tomato soup - Man I can get this tasting good again also... Adding salt/sugar until its just right....

Some stuff cannot be tweaked this way because they use a DIFFERENT KIND OF SALT/SUGAR and when you add table salt/sugar,it tastes funny

Im glad I can tweak the stuff I can!!

What are some stuff you guys find yourselves tweaking??
wow, I am a little surprised about your thinking sugar has been cut way back in processed food and juices: I think quite the opposite, I wish they would lay off the sugar. The sodium, I do somewhat agree. It is back to everyone being our keeper but I can always add salt. I don't add it to V8 or tomato juice: spoiled brat does. I add lemon juice or lemons to a lot of things. I am not a huge user of prepared or canned foods; I will add, if I open up a can of beans I always tweak or doctor them up. I have never even thought about adding salt to a can or soup, but then I rarely eat canned soups. To me, canned soups are mushroom and cream of chicken, to be used for cooking, if at all.

Old 10-10-2014, 09:17 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
I'd much rather people able to 'tweak' stuff to my liking than not like what it already has in it. It's a lot easier to add than take things out.

I'm not a big sugar fan, outside of baking I rarely use it for anything and often in baking I'll cut down the called for amount.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:05 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
wow, I am a little surprised about your thinking sugar has been cut way back in processed food and juices: I think quite the opposite, I wish they would lay off the sugar. The sodium, I do somewhat agree. It is back to everyone being our keeper but I can always add salt. I don't add it to V8 or tomato juice: spoiled brat does. I add lemon juice or lemons to a lot of things. I am not a huge user of prepared or canned foods; I will add, if I open up a can of beans I always tweak or doctor them up. I have never even thought about adding salt to a can or soup, but then I rarely eat canned soups. To me, canned soups are mushroom and cream of chicken, to be used for cooking, if at all.
Agree! When V-8 came along the only thing I would add is lemon if that. Then it was made available with lemon. Canned cream soups for cooking only in my opinion also. But, to each his own. Lemon is great in many things and I use them a lot in cooking.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:13 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Feeling the need to add gobs of sugar (especially) and salt to food isn't exactly what I would consider 'tweaking' something to make up for a perceived lack of flavor. Especially in prepared, processed food which IMHO have enough of that to begin with.

Old 10-10-2014, 10:20 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
I think you have a serious sugar addiction! Orange juice is not supposed to conatin any added sugar - it's 100% natural squeezed juice, not flavored sugar water. Also, only 22g in an 8 oz serving? That's more than my entire sugar consumption for one day.

Like gentlearts, I've taken to eating whole natural foods that taste the way they are meant to be, not with any additives. Once you stop eating processed foods and realize how good things are naturally, you develop a whole other perspective on eating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink