Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 01:37 AM

723 posts, read 868,324 times

Advertisements

My mother used to bake christmas cakes and naturally I would pick at the various ingredients. One stage in the preparation was to roll butter around in sugar, that's how I discovered butter dipped in sugar is delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
In my 20s, I indulged in fried hamburger. I would fry up a couple hamburgers, and pour the grease into a coffee cup. Then I would add lots of salt and hot sauce to the cup, and dip my hamburger in there by the fork full.
That is among the most disgusting things I've ever heard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 01:41 AM

723 posts, read 868,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I used to buy those one-pint size Häagen-Dazs ice creams--planning to have it last for at least 3 or 4 servings. (Ben & Jerry's would do, too....) But every time I had one in my hot little hands, I would eat the whole thing in one sitting. I have probably done that at least 5 times in my life. And, I felt quite gluttonous for doing so..... But it was soooooo good going down!
I have done this 3 times in the past week.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:05 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,985,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I've probably done that 5,000 times in my life. I could never gain weight, and was kind of thin. And then I quit smoking, so I could no longer eat ice cream. I still love it, but I don't eat it very often anymore.
I don't get the cause/effect here.

Mine is simple. Potato chips are my crack. I otherwise eat a pretty healthy, balanced and varied diet, but damn, if I quit eating potato chips I think Wise would go out of business.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:43 AM

32,925 posts, read 36,329,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
In my college days, I could drink a 9 beers in 2 hours. I didn't feel too well the next day.

In my 20's, I could eat a large pack of Doritos or Lay's in one sitting.

As you get older, you realize that your body cannot tolerate this type of eating and still stay healthy.
That's an understatement. I've been guilty of eating the whole pint of ice cream, an entire large bag of chips (with dip), candy all day and other atrocities. I also used to drink so much coffee with half and half that I didn't want to eat anything. I can't get away with that nonsense any more.

Old 10-14-2014, 08:51 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
In my 20s, I indulged in fried hamburger. I would fry up a couple hamburgers, and pour the grease into a coffee cup. Then I would add lots of salt and hot sauce to the cup, and dip my hamburger in there by the fork full.

When I was a kid, I used to eat handfuls of Lawry's seasoned salt. I would just pour it in the palm of my hand and lick.

Amazingly, my blood pressure has always been on the low side.

Does anyone have/or had any food indulgences that might be considered a health risk?
anyone who thinks they never indulge in bad eating habits are probably kidding themselves, or what they think is good will be bad tomorrow.

We try to eat healthy, but from my weight I realize we don't. When I was younger, I loved the Lawry's salt as well, I still use it, but a jar will last a couple of years. I also used to love plain mayo and yes, eggs had to be friend in bacon grease and who didn't love licking the cake or cookie batter. I actually just did a little of this yesterday when I was making Friendship breads. I had left over batter, I finally, after a couple of bites threw the rest away. Your hamburger dinner actually sounds pretty good, but I don't think I will pick the habit up.

The worst habit I have now is not exercising enough, eating too many sauces and just eating too much period. I don't think I am eating that much, but I know must be. I do not have any severe health problems either.

Old 10-14-2014, 09:22 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Chips. Milkshakes.

I limit myself to a few times a month. But I used to have it several times a week. Funny though, ever since I have been eating more fro yo, I have been preferring yogurt over ice cream. But milkshakes still has to be made with real whipped cream and REAL ice cream. I only go to one of 2 places for shakes. I hate the ones that are made with that fake soft serve crap.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I go through chocolate phases.. I wont eat any for months then spend a week with these insatiable cravings..
I devour anything chocolate I can get my hands on..
The best chocolate around is the Ghirardelli dark chocolate almond with the sea salt. You wouldn't think salt would go well with chocolate, but it does. Two squares a day and I'm good to go.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:16 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,226,535 times
Another one is the turkey grease at the bottom of the pot after it's been cooking all day. That stuff is liquid gold. I used to eat just that in a bowl with a spoon, but now I help myself to a tablespoon at Thanksgiving. No idea why people throw this goodness down the drain and go for the jarred gravy.

A lot of you are sweet tooths here I'm not a sweet tooth, but if I have a bowl of Cool Whip, I will just dip my finger in it all day until its gone. I might throw in some strawberry sauce if I have some left over from making strawberry shortcake and eat it by the spoonful. The Cool Whip is good frozen too, and I just tear off chunks here and there. In my mind, if you eat a little of the bad stuff throughout the day, it doesn't really count. This is why I don't make strawberry shortcake too often.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:38 AM

65 posts, read 149,483 times
Any snack like chips or pea crisps are my weakness. I often find myself snacking on them daily but try to stick to the baked ones but they probably aren't much better. I also love sweets but usually later in the afternoon (they sound gross any time before 1 pm). To keep me from going out buying a slice of cake or candy bar I went to the local health food store and got some banana cake with chocolate chips. I've been eating a slice of that after dinner.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:49 AM

4,901 posts, read 8,749,963 times
Every once in a while (once or twice a year, probably) I have plain Lays potato chips, cheese, and green olives for lunch. Bite of chips, bite of cheese, bite of olive....swallow, repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink