Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 12:42 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times

Advertisements

I don't know how this thread could be interpreted as *not* looking down on them.

There was really a intellectual curiosity about the question of whether HH is cooking? How could that possibly annoy you?

Old 10-21-2014, 12:43 PM

21 posts, read 31,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Regarding above: Just call it Beefaroni with crostini.

Haha! This was too cute Maybe it's gourmet after all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praline View Post
OP, you don't come off as snobbish at all - you simply asked others' opinions and shared yours. I don't see you as looking down on others who heat/prepare boxed foods but like you, I clearly do not consider it cooking. I work extremely long hours some weeks, and I plan my menus and cook as many entrees as I can during the weekends. My slow cooker is my best friend! A lot of people aren't interested in cooking which is fine, but I don't think they should disparage those who do.
Thanks for understanding my original post! I more posted to see what other people, specifically cooks, thought. My mom and I discussed it the other day and I got thirsty for more opinions.

I am currently in a relationship with my slow cooker (well, not exclusively. I date around the kitchen) so I get your love. I also love planning my meals as well.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:48 PM

21 posts, read 31,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Honestly, I think your mom should just do it herself and enlist you to help and spare everyone else that has genuine friendliness and good will. Tell all the other people so they don't go on thinking that their volunteering their time is for a good cause.

Then, you and mom eat alone, like it should be. No imperfections, no time wasted.

I've never had Hamburger Helper, but I've always wanted some.
I don't live close to my mom unfortunately. Also, it's less about perfection and more about one claiming they can cook well but then not being able to boil water. Yes, it does put more work on my mom and other volunteers. Maybe you can't understand her frustration but I can.

The question is: Do you consider HH/box meals actual cooking? It's not about my opinion or my mom. It's about what YOU think.

Old 10-21-2014, 12:49 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,416,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

Honestly, I think your mom should just do it herself and enlist you to help and spare everyone else that has genuine friendliness and good will. Tell all the other people so they don't go on thinking that their volunteering their time is for a good cause.

Then, you and mom eat alone, like it should be. No imperfections, no time wasted.

I've never had Hamburger Helper, but I've always wanted some...but for now I've lost my appetite.
Good idea. God forbid their volunteering puts them in the category of "those people"

Old 10-21-2014, 12:57 PM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Yes, Hamburger Helper is cooking.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:07 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I just read this in the tone one of my aunts from North Carolina would take. She believes a proper woman cooks properly, feeds her family wholesome home cooked meals, and that's just how it is. She would view such a thing as Hamburger Helper as an atrocity. But see, that's just the world she comes from. Her momma could make an enourmous batch of homemade biscuits that were about the most delicious thing you ever had, in no time with nothing to measure with but a chipped old coffee cup. (Grandma's biscuits...I just remember that there was lard involved, and they were delicious with Virginia ham.) Her momma and her momma's momma. They weren't rich, didn't get any inheritance, they in fact were very poor...it's just how they were raised. Many families were and are like that, and can't imagine anything different.

And there are others who live a whole different life, women pursuing careers who aren't into domestic stuff, people who just walk different paths, who can't imagine living like these people live.

Nobody needs to look down on anybody. Although admittedly it sometimes happens in either direction...

Old 10-21-2014, 01:08 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Depends what type of ground beef. If you get the 93% or 97%, there's really not much fat to drain.
Of course, but trust me, this particular friend is NOT the type who is going to be looking at percentages of fat when she purchases ground beef...and besides, this was back in the early 90s before they put the percentage of fat on the ground beef packages. You bought ground chuck, ground round, or ground sirloin. If you were smart, you knew what the fat percentages were for each.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepeach View Post
OP-

Do you make your noodles from scratch? Do you refine your own sugar? Do you make your own flour from grinding wheat? Do you grow your own herbs? Do you extract your own vanilla/almond/other baking extracts?? Do you churn your own butter? or ice cream?

If not, is YOUR cooking REALLY homemade??
LOL. My sister-in-law was visiting her husband's friends. The wife was Italian, and when my SIL suggested they make spaghetti for dinner and went to get some jarred sauce, she was told in no uncertain terms that THEY NEVER used jarred sauce. They made their OWN. She says the woman then proceeded to buy a couple of cans of tomatoes, put them through the blender, tossed them into a pot and cooked them with some seasonings. My SIL wanted to know how that was so much more authentic than buying a jar of sauce. I had no answer for her!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Yep. Sliced thin, fried crisp, and put between a couple of slices of white bread ... manna from heaven.
I was caring for my grandmother for a couple of months when my mother had surgery. She just needed me to prepare meals, bring her things, etc.

One day I mentioned Spam for some reason, and her eyes lit up. She said she would love to have some Spam for lunch. I went and got some and made her a Spam and egg sandwich on white bread. She was in heaven. She was 91 years old at the time. Another meal I made her was a salmon cake with canned salmon, egg, and bread crumbs. Said her mother used to make that for her and her siblings on Saturdays when she was a child.

Now maybe that isn't REALLY cooking, but it's a great memory I have of my grandmother!

Old 10-21-2014, 01:38 PM

6,562 posts, read 8,396,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
No one said anything about anyone being better than anyone else because they choose to make things from scratch.
I didn't get that implication either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you want to have that beer and eat the over processed boxed stuff and give it to your family then you go right ahead but for our family I take the time to make whatever I can fresh and oh my goodness, my family gets in their and helps me so we spend just as much time together as you and your family do.

The only difference is we don't eat over processed boxed stuff.
...until you continued with this ^^.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink