Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 04:28 PM

4,587 posts, read 4,216,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

You're really naive if you don't think that "not always" isn't "whenever it's convenient". And yet, I go out to eat anyway.

As I said in my post, I am NOT naive about what possibly goes on in a restaurant's kitchen but at least there are mandated health/safety standards in place that are supposed to be followed. Home kitchens have no such mandates.

I just don't like potlucks. Not a big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 09:15 AM

88,586 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Several places I've worked have solved the problem of too many bags of chips by assigning each department a different type of food on a rotating basis. Within the department they would figure out how to split up the cost and work. In smaller companies there was normally a sign up sheet with why everyone planned on bringing and then a few more motivated folk would fill in the gaps.

One place I worked was based in Israel...every Christmas potluck the Israeli engineers would make...or have there wives make....these great kosher dishes to bring in. We looked forward to their contribution. (And no....they did not have a problem with being involved with the secular festivities around this time of year.)
Same in my office. I've got Jews and Muslims and Hindus. They all join in the activities.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:21 AM

I'm somewhat amazed at all the people who are concerned with not knowing the condition of the places where food was prepared--REALLY? Are that many people so princessy and above everyone else that they worry about things like this? It never occurred to me to think about what my coworkers' kitchens look like. Do you know how many germs you carry around on you every day? Did you ever see the magnified pictures of those mites that live in the roots of your eyelashes? LOL. I mean, if you know one of your coworkers picks his nose regularly or something, maybe yeah, you might question his food preparation hygiene, but c'mon. Human beings are full of bacteria and not sterile creatures, every last one of us.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/1bf0a8bdb...wf4xo1_500.jpg

This thing and his relatives are in your eyelash roots right now. Go gouge out your eyes.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I used to love them at my work...the food was so good...we had two people though that if they knew you had a dog, they wouldn't eat your food...more for everybody else...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Potluck dinners should be separated into two groups - pet owners on one side and the rest on the other side.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
These women were weird...haha..
Some people are weird that way. My friend stays with me when she comes from another state to visit her family, because she and her sister cannot bear each other for more than a couple of hours at a time. Her sister has NEVER visited her because she has dogs and a cat, and she's made obnoxious remarks about her sister staying with me "when she has all those animals" (I have four cats.)

Meanwhile, some of the people this sister hangs out with...give me the animals any day.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:33 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
They're tough for a vegetarian, so I usually bring a main dish unless I want a meal of baby carrots and chips.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
They're tough for a vegetarian, so I usually bring a main dish unless I want a meal of baby carrots and chips.
I have a rice-and-black-beans vegan dish I make that I've brought to potlucks before. Some people see beans and won't touch it, but others who are not vegetarians have tried it and liked it as a side dish.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:33 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,780,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm somewhat amazed at all the people who are concerned with not knowing the condition of the places where food was prepared--REALLY? Are that many people so princessy and above everyone else that they worry about things like this? It never occurred to me to think about what my coworkers' kitchens look like. Do you know how many germs you carry around on you every day? Did you ever see the magnified pictures of those mites that live in the roots of your eyelashes? LOL. I mean, if you know one of your coworkers picks his nose regularly or something, maybe yeah, you might question his food preparation hygiene, but c'mon. Human beings are full of bacteria and not sterile creatures, every last one of us..
Is this nasty comment really necessary? Seriously?

You can't belittle people who are concerned about the hygiene and food preparation practices of others. Afterall, they will be consuming food (and possibly germs) generated in that person's home. They have every right to privately and openly question it.

It has nothing to do with people "so princessy and [thinking they are] above everyone else."

If you personally are preparing food for others, and know that your working/cooking conditions are sanitary, then you truly have no legitimate reason to sound snarky or derisive in your post above. Do you?

Denigrating others and their legitimate concerns is not cool.

Rethink and or Reread your posts prior to posting them.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:37 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
In my workplace, you are exposed to far more germs just doing the job than you would ever be by someone's potluck submission. All in perspective, I guess.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:52 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
Is this nasty comment really necessary? Seriously?

You can't belittle people who are concerned about the hygiene and food preparation practices of others. Afterall, they will be consuming food (and possibly germs) generated in that person's home. They have every right to privately and openly question it.

It has nothing to do with people "so princessy and [thinking they are] above everyone else."

If you personally are preparing food for others, and know that your working/cooking conditions are sanitary, then you truly have no legitimate reason to sound snarky or derisive in your post above. Do you?

Denigrating others and their legitimate concerns is not cool.

Rethink and or Reread your posts prior to posting them.
Yes...it does come off a princessey and that you are looking down your nose at others. It really isn't a legit concern if you just assume everyone is dirty and unsanitary and your not....it's just snobbish.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:57 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
Yes...it does come off a princessey and that you are looking down your nose at others. It really isn't a legit concern if you just assume everyone is dirty and unsanitary and your not....it's just snobbish.
It isn't assuming that everyone is dirty or unsanitary, it's knowing that people may be different from you. I myself don't keep a spotless kitchen. I have friends that keep their kitchens as if the state is inspecting their facility. I have zero issues with people not wanting to eat other people's contribution. That means more for everyone else. Only way it's snobby or princessy, if they are going around telling everyone there that they won't eat their foods because their kitchens might not be clean.

Here in the forum we are strangers so expressing what one thinks is fine and not snobby. Going to a potluck and then expressing those thoughts publicly can be seen as snobby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink