Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Lots of great info here, thanks!! This confirmed how I was leaning. At this point, I'm thinking 14 inch, carbon steel, flat bottom, with wooden handles including a helper handle (Northern style). I'm going to check out HMart and Pacific Ocean Market and see what I can find locally.
Aim for the 16. I just looked at my smaller one and it's a 14. The 2 inches helps alot for soups and rice as posted in my OP. Have fun looking. Also check out Asian markets, I had bought mine on Amazon before realizing belatedly they had great ones there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 11:41 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,508,945 times
It's not really a wok if it has a flat bottom, is it? Perhaps I'm old-fashioned.

I got mine several years ago via The Wok Shop (via amazon.com I think). It's 16" with two loop handles. I think it was about $20 or $30. My husband had to notch my wok ring also. I don't think my burner gets hot enough for my wokking to be as good as it could be, unfortunately.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
It's not really a wok if it has a flat bottom, is it? Perhaps I'm old-fashioned.

I got mine several years ago via The Wok Shop (via amazon.com I think). It's 16" with two loop handles. I think it was about $20 or $30. My husband had to notch my wok ring also. I don't think my burner gets hot enough for my wokking to be as good as it could be, unfortunately.
I actually now remove the grate over my burner and place the wok ring around the burner so the flame is directly on my wok bottom. Much better results.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:24 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Aim for the 16. I just looked at my smaller one and it's a 14. The 2 inches helps alot for soups and rice as posted in my OP. Have fun looking. Also check out Asian markets, I had bought mine on Amazon before realizing belatedly they had great ones there too.
I'll look in the store, but I was thinking that 14 counted as larger, since they also come in a 12 inch. I'll be cooking for 1 or 2 and don't want to go too big if it feels like I might not use it due to the hassles of cleaning and storage. That's a big reason I want to shop in person rather than order online, as I think I need to really see in person to figure out what feels like the right size for me.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:

The Wok Shop sells flat bottom woks, for what that's worth.

I think that usability outweighs authenticity for me. I have large grates on my range (each one is half the size of the entire range top), so it would be awkward and inconvenient to try to remove those to use a round wok with a ring, as I'd have no where to put it while cooking.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
You don't need, or really want, a flat-bottomed wok. You do want a wok light enough to flip. Carbon steel is, in my opinion, better than non-stick or stainless (stainless woks tend to be thinner and do not heat as evenly), and get the biggest one you can reasonably handle.

Woks rock.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:32 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
Quote:

As I stated previously a flat bottom eliminates the need for the ring and the only way to cook on an electric stove. It's still a wok, why wouldn't it be? Or maybe you misunderstood. It's only the bottom part of the wok which is flat. I would say flat section is about 6" to 8" or less diameter. This also allows it to rest on a flat surface without tipping over.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:34 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
I have a 16" carbon steel hand-hammered wok that is now black from proper seasoning over the years. When I purchased the wok it had a protective coating on it that had to be removed with steel wool.

I also have a 65,000 BTU wok burner so that I can create that authentic wok-hei flavor.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
As much as I love Asian cooking I have never owned a wok, now I think I will start considering purchasing one. I do know I don't want a flat bottom one.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
You don't need, or really want, a flat-bottomed wok. You do want a wok light enough to flip. Carbon steel is, in my opinion, better than non-stick or stainless (stainless woks tend to be thinner and do not heat as evenly), and get the biggest one you can reasonably handle.

Woks rock.
Well, I really do need/want a flat bottomed wok, as I don't want to have to deal with a round bottom and a ring as it would not fit correctly on my range. I am definitely getting carbon steel though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink