Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:22 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I cannot do skim milk. It's like drinking cloudy water. I am a 2%er.
Ditto!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 01:47 PM

509 posts, read 1,167,856 times
Welcome to the rest of the population.

I walk the line with 1%. That 1% makes a huge difference though.

Old 07-15-2011, 01:52 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
some of my wife's family stayed over recently and there is an 8 year old boy among them. i keep a gallon of skim for me and my wife and a gallon of regular for my daughter in the fridge. the kid didnt realize and poured himself a glass of skim. the little prick tossed it.

last time i had regular was on vacation in march. i had my morning cereal with regular milk and it was much yummier.

Old 07-15-2011, 02:01 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
We switched to almond milk a few months back and now prefer it over cow milk.

Old 07-15-2011, 03:59 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
DH loves whole milk and will only drink it. If I give him 2% and he acts like I'm trying to poison him! I used to be a whole milk girl, but I switched over to fat free, when I found out I had high cholesterol. I love milk, and I wasn't going to give it up, so I had to learn to drink the healthier option. I like fat free okay, but I usually buy the kind that is suppose to taste like 2%. I think they just remove some of the water, so it has a more rich consistency. Borden's Dairy has one they call Skim Extra, I think. Most of the local dairy companies have something similar. I personally like it much better.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,049,118 times
I don't drink coffee anymore, but back in the day when I did I had to put all kinds of crap in it to make it taste good (milk, sugar, or depending on where I was - creamer, etc.).

Then I took a coffee class, and learned all about the production of coffee beans and the roasting and the milling and the brewing, etc.

And what I learned was that really good coffee doesn't/shouldn't require any "crap" in it. You can drink really good coffee straight without any milk, sugar, etc. in it and it's really wonderful, and healthier for you as well. (Unfortunately mainstream America swears by crap coffee... which requires additional crap in it... and so there we are. Sad.)

So once my coffee awareness was raised, I began drinking straight coffee, really good coffee, milled and brewed just right, without any crap in it. Life was good!

But, I kept getting cysts in my breasts (had happened for many years, even before good straight coffee) and the doctor said cutting coffee would help with that. So I stopped drinking coffee, the breasts are happy girls now, and I have begun a new love affair with tea!! Whole leaf loose tea. Life is set to rights again.

Anyway the thing with whole milk is the saturated fat. (Well, there are other issues with milk in general, but we're just talking about skim versus whole here...) If all you're drinking is a little splash in your coffee I'm sure it's no big deal, depending on your health situation. But it's something you can discuss with your doctor next time you go in to get poked and prodded.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:48 PM

I'd also like to add: if you can find a high quality organic grass-fed milk (because even not all organic milks are the same) you will find that skim milk of that sort often tastes so much better than a whole or 2% of any other ordinary conventional brand that you can switch over to the high quality organic nonfat plus you're not drinking all those weird growth hormones and additives, and you're supporting better environmental choices as well.

Once we made the switch to organic grass-fed milk we couldn't stomach the regular milk anymore. It's a bit more expensive but it's well worth it.

http://onlygrassfed.com/the-daily-be...ry-brands.html

Old 07-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
We switched to almond milk a few months back and now prefer it over cow milk.
I love almond milk! It is especially good cold mixed with chai tea over ice on a hot summer day! Sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Yum!

Have you ever tried making your own almond milk? It's super easy. Buy raw organic almonds. Soak them in a big bowl of water over night. The next day - drain and rinse them. Then blend the almonds up with fresh cold water in a blender. (Also - eat a few! Soaked almonds are so good!) Line a big bowl with cheesecloth. (They also make "nut bags" made especially for this purpose... but cheesecloth works great, too.) Pour the blended almonds and water into the bowl over the cheese cloth. Pull up the corners of the cheese cloth and bring them together, then twist and squeeze the almond milk out. Your hands will get messy, so make sure you've got clean ones to start with! In the cheesecloth you'll have the leftover almond bits and pulp which is great to use in breads and muffins and quickbreads and cookies. I've even used it in carrot cake.

Tastes a lot better than the cartons of organic almond milk you can buy - even though those are great, too. And convenient.

I keep our fresh homemade almond milk in a glass jar in the fridge with a tight-fitting lid. Shake it well before you use it next. I love it in cold cereal, especially, and it's great in steel-cut oatmeal with dried cranberries and other toppings.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:08 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,933 times
I hate skimmed, too. Too watery. I drink 1%. The added bit of fat makes it much more palatable.

However in coffee, I like half-n-half, or perhaps whole milk if there's no h-n-h. I wouldn't even bother to drink coffee with skimmed milk. Yuck.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:11 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,835,134 times
Whole milk for me, it does a body good

Courtney
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink