Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 04:35 PM

1,769 posts, read 1,691,176 times

Advertisements

I am a cooking newbie but want to do more cooking at home and expand the number of dishes that I can make. My current cookware is currently cheap items that I purchased in college at lower-end places like Walmart and Kroger. I recently relocated and I am in a better, higher-paying job with a better apartment/condo as well.

So, it is time to donate a lot of my old stuff and buy some new, quality cookware. I don't want the most expensive cookware but don't want the cheapest around either (that would be what I currently own). I want good quality stuff that will last for years.

With that said, where do all of you like to buy your cookware and silverware? I had thought about Bed, Bath and Beyond or Belk's but wasn't sure if those places were considered as having poor quality or overpriced cookware.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 04:46 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
What you buy matters more than where you buy it. Some things are worth spending more on. Read some reviews of cookware (here and on Amazon etc.) Then look for deals.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:46 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
I'd check out some of the sets on QVC.com. You can watch videos, get specs, and everything has a 30 day, no questions asked return period.

Old 03-22-2015, 04:47 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I actually buy mine at Tjmaxx/Marshalls/Ross. I can get exactly what size I want and what coating etc. And I find in my area is half price than bed bath and beyond/department stores etc. My mom loves the HSN or QVC deals for the sets. I don't buy sets as I don't use all the pans in it personally.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:31 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I agree, TJ Maxx or Marshall's are good places to buy quality cookware. Stay away from Teflon, with the exception of one, cheap, Teflon frying pan to cook eggs in.
Buy a Dutch oven for stews and pot roasts, a few graduated sizes of sauce pans with covers, and you are good to go for almost everything. After that, buy some LeCreuset type cookware for roasting things in the oven.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:34 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
I am a cooking newbie but want to do more cooking at home and expand the number of dishes that I can make. My current cookware is currently cheap items that I purchased in college at lower-end places like Walmart and Kroger. I recently relocated and I am in a better, higher-paying job with a better apartment/condo as well.

So, it is time to donate a lot of my old stuff and buy some new, quality cookware. I don't want the most expensive cookware but don't want the cheapest around either (that would be what I currently own). I want good quality stuff that will last for years.

With that said, where do all of you like to buy your cookware and silverware? I had thought about Bed, Bath and Beyond or Belk's but wasn't sure if those places were considered as having poor quality or overpriced cookware.

When I bought new cookware I went with Tfal however, last year I bought a cheap pan at the local grocery here, HyVee and I use that pan and the 2 others just like it that I bought more than the Tfal.

In my opinion you can rarely go wrong with an Outlet shop like Corning if you have one close or go to a specific Kitchen Shop.
Be really particular though because you may not like the set you purchase, think about purchasing one piece of one brand and one piece of another to try them out and see which you like best and suits your cooking style.

Old 03-22-2015, 06:52 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
You don't need an entire "set" of the same stuff...buy what you like and what works for you.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Restaurant supply store.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:37 AM

3,201 posts, read 4,410,406 times
i have bought several pieces of that macy's "house brand" over the years for cheap

they do the trick

Old 03-23-2015, 04:48 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,315,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I actually buy mine at Tjmaxx/Marshalls/Ross. I can get exactly what size I want and what coating etc. And I find in my area is half price than bed bath and beyond/department stores etc. My mom loves the HSN or QVC deals for the sets. I don't buy sets as I don't use all the pans in it personally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree, TJ Maxx or Marshall's are good places to buy quality cookware. Stay away from Teflon, with the exception of one, cheap, Teflon frying pan to cook eggs in.
Buy a Dutch oven for stews and pot roasts, a few graduated sizes of sauce pans with covers, and you are good to go for almost everything. After that, buy some LeCreuset type cookware for roasting things in the oven.
Same here and for the same reasons; name brand, higher quality cookware, the exact pieces that you will actually use for your cooking needs and with great prices as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink