Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 05:14 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Southern California, it was a welcome change from typical fast food restaurants. But, I don't see many here in the Bay Area and miss it,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 08:23 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
I miss it a lot, it was tasty & a lot healthier than most fast food. Only fast food chicken available around where I live now is KFC, ugh, won't touch it. The sides at Pollo Loco were good, too, some healthier choices available. I've tried to replicate the Pollo Loco style by marinating chicken in citrus juice, but haven't come too close so far.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:30 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
I miss it a lot, it was tasty & a lot healthier than most fast food. Only fast food chicken available around where I live now is KFC, ugh, won't touch it. The sides at Pollo Loco were good, too, some healthier choices available. I've tried to replicate the Pollo Loco style by marinating chicken in citrus juice, but haven't come too close so far.
google: copycat recipes pollo loco

El Pollo Loco Chicken Copycat Recipe) Recipe - Food.com

You can get a copycat recipe of just about any fast food place the same way.

Old 03-24-2015, 08:54 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
I rate it G.A.F.

too bad they don't have it here, El Pollo Loco used to be my fast food of choice when I was living in San Diego
There is one in Katy, TX, at the corner of Mason Road and Provincial. It's alright, but not nearly as good as the Pollo Campero that we used to have. For some reason it closed a few months ago, but man was it yummy.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:09 PM

308 posts, read 499,295 times
A new one just open near my house but haven't tried it yet. But looks similar to Pollo Tropical we have here also.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:18 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
YUMMM, 1/2 chicken is great.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:43 PM

1,741 posts, read 2,628,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I had to look it up; I thought that you were asking about the fictional chicken place from Breaking Bad. But that was Los Pollos Hermanos, where I guess you could get a side of meth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
Los Pollos Hermanos is the best though.
The restaurant that was used to portray the fictional Los Pollos Hermanos in Breaking Bad is one of a small local chain here in Albuquerque called Twisters. Its menu focuses mainly on tacos and hamburgers. It's pretty good. You can visit the location featured in the show and have your picture taken next to the Los Pollos Hermanos sign painted on an interior wall. The location is on Isleta Boulevard which is in the adjacent, unincorporated South Valley area of town.

Here's the Yelp listing for the location, for anyone interested:

Twisters - Albuquerque, NM | Yelp

I'm sure Los Pollos Hermanos was inspired by El Pollo Loco, as the shows creators are from Southern California and the show was originally to be set in the Inland Empire.

I've always heard of the name El Pollo Loco through various actors and shows mentioning it, often in jest, such as in place of actual responses in Spanish. For example, Chevy Chase in the movie Fletch responds with "El Pollo Loco to you, too" to one of the Spanish-speaking waiters at the Country Club.

More recently I've mostly heard about El Pollo Loco by way of the Bravo reality show Flipping Out. The show's star, Jeff Lewis, and his crew often order lunch from there. The food has always looked tantalizing. I'd like to try it one day.

Old 03-24-2015, 10:43 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,816,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
There is one in Katy, TX, at the corner of Mason Road and Provincial. It's alright, but not nearly as good as the Pollo Campero that we used to have. For some reason it closed a few months ago, but man was it yummy.
That was not El Pollo Loco. They have no stores in Texas. I lived a mile or so from that location.

Old 03-25-2015, 03:28 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,071,136 times
It and In and Out were my favorite chains by far when I lived in L.A. fifteen years ago. I rarely hit chains (fast food or otherwise) now, but would again if either of those set up shop in the Twin Cities.

Old 03-25-2015, 07:03 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
There are two El Pollo Loco locations close to my house here in San Antonio. One of them is terrible while the other one is really good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink