Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 08:09 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,814,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I don't view food as competitive. Eating lunch shouldn't be about setting a record...do you also keep stats on how fast you eat?
Beyond that, after a nice meal I want to feel good; eating as much as I can does not leave me feeling good. There's a certain sweet spot, where I am full and content, and that spot is reached long before I cram the last bit of food I can possibly eat into my mouth.

On a side note, I've got a coworker who is retiring after 35 years from the large corporation where we work. As such, he gets his retirement dinner for himself and a number of coworker guests of his choosing. The suggested allocation for this dinner is $500 (paid for by corporate, of course), though that is just a guideline. Our manager suggested several very nice local steakhouses and seafood establishments. But he insisted on... Red Lobster... because their lobsters and steaks are 'bigger', and at their cheap prices he can get two Surf 'n' Turfs (or whatever Red Lobster calls the combo) and put them both down. For some people, I guess quantity is a quality of its own...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 09:57 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
I went to a buffet today and broke my record! I had 29 pieces of salmon!

What is your record?
That's a lot of sashimi! I guess it's cut really thin? I'm usually full after 6 pieces of nigiri, but I guess if I were eating it at a buffet, I could force myself to eat 1-2 more pieces.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM

14,078 posts, read 16,611,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
I love sashimi so much when I was younger and on a budget I used to go to the grocery store (no, not a high end organic one, but regular chain groceries!) and buy talipia from the fish counter and go home and cut it up and eat it. I never got sick once.
Scary!

Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
I'd be surprised if farmed salmon has mercury levels as high as wild salmon since the mercury comes from mercury contaminated smaller organisms eaten by fish... which means it concentrates as you go up the food chain. They way farmed salmon are fed - it'd be surprising if they had such hi mercury levels.

Old 04-08-2015, 12:00 PM

3,308 posts, read 4,560,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet Like Sugar View Post
That's a lot of sashimi! I guess it's cut really thin? I'm usually full after 6 pieces of nigiri, but I guess if I were eating it at a buffet, I could force myself to eat 1-2 more pieces.
Well yeah nigiri is more filling because of the rice, but I'd say I could eat a good 10 pieces of nigiri. Yum!

Old 04-08-2015, 01:21 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Uhmmmm ... , take 29 pieces of the Sashimi and put all the salmon on a pile.

Looks different no ?

Assuming you go to a seafood restaurant and order a salmon dish with rice and some veggies.
Which one has more fish ?

Pic below... , how many pieces of Sashimi would that be ??

People who really *know* Sashimi would not eat that many pieces,
because the real Sashimi would cost a fortune.
In Japan, salmon *used for Sashimi*, can be compared to a Porsche !!
Almost the size of a Porsche.
About the price of a Porsche !!

Since you now must realise that Real Sashimi is out of most people's range,
why not buy a good looking piece of fresh salmon from a reputable grocery store,
slice it thin at home and eat 50 pieces ?

LBNL, you did not mean Sushi (Sushi Rice on bottom, Sashimi on top), or ?
I have seen Sushi served in Buffet Restaurants, but never Sashimi only !
All buffets serves fish scrapes and shavings. It certainly doesn't look like this:

If only Americans would expect their fish quality like their beef steaks. Well maybe some people don't care, they just want quantity.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:10 PM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
That salmon was very likely farmed, and 29 pieces probably had enough mercury to fill a thermometer. For your own sake, I hope you don't do that too often, and never if you are pregnant.

Farmed salmon and mercury??
A bit of reading and research might not be a bad idea.
While there is no doubt that farmed fish has its issues with disease and dirty conditions, mercury is very seldom one of them.
The only TRULY safe salmon to eat in high quantities is wild Alaskan salmon.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:18 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,303,911 times
Salmon Skin Hand Roll... MMMMMMMMM

Old 04-08-2015, 02:32 PM

19,769 posts, read 22,666,896 times
I caught a 98lb yellowfin tuna 10 years ago off Nags Head, NC. The fish monger cut up steaks, loins and also prized hunks for raw sashimi. My friend and I sat on the beach that night with a 12 pack of good beer, a sharp knife, local market soy and wasabi and ate fresh tuna and roasted cluster oysters until we were g*dam*ed stuffed.

One of the best days of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink