Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 06:37 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times

Advertisements

Appian Way Pizza Mix, Regular Crust - 12.5 oz by Appian Way in Best Sellers | Hometown Favorites Hard to Find and Regional Grocery - Hometown Favorites

I grew up on these!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 07:18 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,388,517 times
In this crowd maybe you also didn't know, like me....
on Friday's all day Whole Foods has a $10 pizza....
had a slice reheated at a friend's she froze...it was STILL great!
Nice thin crust.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 AM

7,098 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't think a supermarket pizza could ever beat an authentic mom&pop Italian handmade pizza...
Unless you live in the South. There are few mom and pop pizza restaurants that can offer a decent pizza, imho.

Of course, I say that because I am originally from the Northeast, home of great pizza!

Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,279,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
I think so too..bought a DiGiorno pizza not too long ago just to have in the house for lazy cooking days, I doctored it up with a lot of mushrooms and cheese and olives and it was really good...the crust was REALLY a surprise....

When we want to save some money, we whip out a DiGiorno and add some extra toppings. It's not bad at all.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:32 AM

3,352 posts, read 2,825,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Unless you live in the South. There are few mom and pop pizza restaurants that can offer a decent pizza, imho.

Of course, I say that because I am originally from the Northeast, home of great pizza!
YOU ARE right about that..We ordered our first pizza here in Tennessee from a pizza place and it as AWFUL...my cousins were visiting from Ontario and I opened the box and they are like.. HUH? It was about 1/16 of an inch thick....I am used to a thick square "put the paper towel to sop up the excess grease" pizza...I felt like I was eating a grilled cheese sandwich on a cracker.. would rather HAVE a Digiorno!!!...

Old 04-07-2015, 08:47 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda814 View Post
YOU ARE right about that..We ordered our first pizza here in Tennessee from a pizza place and it as AWFUL...my cousins were visiting from Ontario and I opened the box and they are like.. HUH? It was about 1/16 of an inch thick....I am used to a thick square "put the paper towel to sop up the excess grease" pizza...I felt like I was eating a grilled cheese sandwich on a cracker.. would rather HAVE a Digiorno!!!...
That's why I never liked most frozen pizzas, the crust is to thick and floury/bready. I forgot though the frozen thin pizzas, I think home run? Those are good too. And yeah, it's really hard to dine a decent pizza joint here in the Carolinas.

Old 04-07-2015, 09:48 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
The Safeway brand of frozen pizza is pretty tasty. I refuse to eat a the national pizza chains that have grease dripping off their pizzas. There's a local owned pizza place here that uses fresh ingredients, and their pizzas are the best on Earth.

Old 04-07-2015, 10:45 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
As other posters have mentioned, it makes a big difference what part of the country you are from. In the Northeast, frozen pizza just can't compare with a mom & pop pizza. If you are in the South, head for the frozen food aisle. What they consider pizza is a whole different animal.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:04 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,452,671 times
Pizza from a local pizzeria - hands down. Frozen pizzas are an okay meal at best. Take and bake is a little above frozen meal, but doe not compare to a local pizzeria.

I would must rather buy my own dough (or make it) and make it from scratch than a frozen pizza. My husband and I figured out a really good method for perfecting home cooked pizza - and the crust! (the first key is having a pizza stone and of course corn meal! We put the oven on 500 and after it warms up, have the rolled out crust (from a pizza peel) onto the stone. Then after about 3-5 mins take it out, add the toppings, put it back in and about 8-10 mins later, viola!) I've brought leftovers before to work and since it appeared so professional - I've had people ask me, where I got my pizza from!

Old 04-07-2015, 11:23 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
As bad as I consider some "pizzerias", Dominos and Papa Joh's come to mind, they are virtually always preferable to a store bought frozen pizza or even a store bought "fresh" pizza.

I think much of this is down to cooking temperature. Pizzas are best cooked fast and extremely hot. 300-500 degrees hotter than your average home oven can accomodate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink