Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 12:55 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times

Advertisements

Okay, we all have some culinary dish and/or ingredient that just makes us clench our fists and scream WHY?????.

For me, it's that one fish that keeps showing-up in fish tacos, ceviche, gumbo, and "Catch of the day." Heck, I've even been served this fish raw at a Japanese restaurant.

So, I have to say...

Tilapia - GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 01:00 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Mine is mushrooms, I just cannot stand the smell, texture or taste of mushrooms. I won't even touch them most of the time and I have never liked mushrooms.

So, I have to say.....

Mushrooms - Get out of my dirt (aka - get off my lawn).

Old 04-10-2015, 04:30 AM

4,694 posts, read 3,473,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Okay, we all have some culinary dish and/or ingredient that just makes us clench our fists and scream WHY?????.

For me, it's that one fish that keeps showing-up in fish tacos, ceviche, gumbo, and "Catch of the day." Heck, I've even been served this fish raw at a Japanese restaurant.

So, I have to say...

Tilapia is pretty horrific. I LOVE seafood but no, just no. It can go play in someone else's yard!

Old 04-10-2015, 05:11 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Yogurt- bleh
Greek Yogurt- double bleh
Kale- no.

Yogurt and kale, GET OFF MY LAWN!!!!

Old 04-10-2015, 06:03 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Spinach and kale.
I know you're good for me, but go away, and don't come back.

Old 04-10-2015, 06:37 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,783,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

So, I have to say...

Definitely not a fan of tilapia, though I do like white fish (cod, sole, flounder, halibut, etc).

What grinds my grits is portobello mushrooms. Here's a clue folks: portobello mushrooms are the same mushrooms that you see in the supermarket at $1.50 on sale for 8 ounces of little half-dollar-sized caps of snowy white goodness, that - in another aisle, are chopped up in a $1.00 can that you saute and dump into your stroganoff. They are the button mushrooms. Except - they've been allowed to grow and turn brown. If you remember your childhood, you might remember mom cutting off the brown spots on the mushrooms before putting them into the chicken tetrazzini. Your family couldn't tolerate brown mushrooms then - why have you turned it into a cultural explosion of gourmet goodness now?

Ounce for ounce, they have little to show in terms of protein - which is what so many people are trying to use it for. Compare:

The average suggested single serving portion of a main course main ingredient is 4 ounces. Here's the breakdown:

Boneless skinless chicken breast = 5.32g per ounce
Ground sirloin (for burgers) = 8g per ounce
Salmon steak (cooked coho) = 7g per ounce
Portobello mushroom cap = .71g per ounce. That's less than 1 gram, per ounce.

Shrooms -cannot- substitute for meat, if you're trying to substitute one protein for another. Shrooms are not proteins. Yes they do have nutritional value. But proteins are not among the list of nutritional benefits of mushrooms. So please - stop pushing the portobello steak burgers on people. Put them in my salad for an interesting crunch texture. But get them off my entree.

Old 04-10-2015, 07:47 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Tomato! !!@ why do they assume I want these slimy things on my dish???? Don't assume my salad, burger, tacos, pasta, sandwich.....require these red pox.... get off my vine on my lawn!#$$/^&£¥₩₩)

Old 04-10-2015, 08:08 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
For me its cheese on sandwiches, and I hate the smell of a cheeseburger. I get tired of having to say "no cheese" every time I want a burger.

Old 04-10-2015, 08:16 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Funny, I enjoy all of the aforementioned items, though I'll eat kale just to be polite.

However, zucchini is just tasteless. Wasted calories and stomach space. And I LIKE veggies.

And please don't feed me turnips - nasty!

Old 04-10-2015, 08:34 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,429,640 times
Totally agree with the tilapia and also swai, what the heck is swai anyways?

So ... all those cheap imported what the heck are they fish raised in questionable conditions ...

get off my lawn !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink