Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 09:21 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,622,028 times

Advertisements

I have also noticed that when the price of gas was going up, food also went up. Now that gas has gone back down, when do the prices go down? That's pure profit built in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 10:41 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
I don't do frozen chicken and I buy at the meat counter when boneless/skinless chicken breasts are under $2 per pound - varies from $1.79 to $1.99 in my area.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:15 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
I have also noticed that when the price of gas was going up, food also went up. Now that gas has gone back down, when do the prices go down? That's pure profit built in.
tom,,,look more closely,,,at grocery store flyers or stop shopping at whole foods

boneless chicken breasts have been selling for under 2.00lb on sale

even at 1.79lb

this is the same as it was 30 years ago ...

pork is also cheap..
buy the whole boneless pork loins at 1.99lb and slice into chops- very easy!!
or look for the sales of pork chops for 1.99-2.49lb

beef has gone up because of exports,,, but look for the sales

pork and chicken is still cheap,,,,and compared to 6 months ago ,,it is much cheaper

Old 04-16-2015, 06:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonGecko View Post
I suspect that you have never actually cooked with chicken fat. It is the WORST.
I do it all the time. I use the 59c chicken, as described in the post in which I recommended it. Actually, there is usually insufficient fat in the chicken, and I have to add some vegetable oil to give the onions a good start.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:17 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Not mine. I can always get ten-pound bags of frozen leg quarters, never more than 59c a pound -- often less. That's even cheap for salt water. Throw one in a pot of simmering veggies, and season it appropriately for curry, wat, paprika, gumbo, tetrazzini, whatever.

I'm not going to complain about paying 59c a pound for injected salt water, when people I know are paying more than 59c a pound for bottled drinking water, which I get out of the tap free.
Amen! Tried to rep ya again but gotta spread the love!!!

Old 04-16-2015, 07:23 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,447,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
You might not be old enough to remember, but the same thing happened to chocolate (candy bars) back in the late 70's/early 80's when sugar went sky high in cost....they jacked up the price of all of them, but when the price of sugar came back down, the cost remained inflated.....

HEB here in Tx has frozen chicken that is processed locally, I'll stick with that and the butcher counter fresh.

After the dog treat deaths out of China, I would be worried to be buying chicken for human consumption processed there....

Old 04-16-2015, 07:28 AM

986 posts, read 1,665,632 times
Kind of off topic - but chicken wings are the WORST. Chicken wings used to be the leftovers of the chicken nobody wanted to buy. Now they are ridiculously expensive.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:47 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It's not a lot if you stretch a one-pound leg quarter into four or five servings. Keep your meat consumption down around 3 ounces per serving, and you can stop worrying about things like that.

Use meat as a condiment, to give a dish the body it needs to be satisfying, which a vegetarian dish lacks. The fat that's in the skin takes care of the medium for sauteeing the veggies before you set them to simmer.
don't ya love people that pay 6.99lb for a boneless chicken breast at whole foods and feel good about it ...preach how you are paying too much at .59lb?????

Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
It is not just chicken seem all meats are watered down beef as well.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:54 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

meat muscle is 75% moisture, another few % doesnt bother me at all,,knowing they gave them one last boil/bath to kill bacteria,,because if someone ever gets sick,,,the chicken companies and grocery stores are out to kill us..
It's extra salt (added to almost everything) that we don't need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
It's not just the water/salt water injected into the chicken that irritates me. It's the enormous amount of fat that is still attached!! As Troutdude mentioned earlier, it's sloppy, bad butchering IMO.
I don't think, it's sloppy butchering. It's a butchering for maximum profit.
Did you noticed how meat is being packaged? All bad parts (bones, fat) are hidden in the bottom, and/or covered by label.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink