Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 09:24 AM

442 posts, read 496,570 times

Advertisements

Ha! Definitely behind the time as far as I am concerned It has been "a thing" for as long as I can remember...I have always loved strawberries or blueberries or apple chunks in my salad! Nice contrast and crunch!

Love it most with some strong cheese, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 11:58 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,597,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i dont even like tomatoes (technically a fruit in salads). too sweet. are you in that much of a rush that you cant enjoy your desert separately ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGELC View Post
I'll be the voice of dissent here. I might be the only one but I cannot stand fruit in salad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Everyone -- or at least the vast majority -- of people who responded to this post enjoy fruit in their salad.

I, however, do not.

I love fruit. I love salad. But I don't love fruit in my salad. I'm not sure why; I just don't. Fine, you want to throw a few dried cranberries into my salad? I can live with that, I guess. But anything other than that, I'm not happy about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
The closest I've come is Craisins, but other than that... can't do it. For the same reason I don't eat sweet potatoes: I tend to compartmentalize sweets and savories, and rarely the twain shall meet.
I love fruit & I love leafy, lettuce salads. But I don't want them together. I also compartmentalize sweets and savories. And I consider fruit an appropriate dessert for my tastes. But I don't think most people would consider it a dessert. I prefer very tart fruits like grapefruit, clementines, raspberries, strawberries, and sour cherries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
This reminds me of an old saying: “Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.” ― Miles Kington
This very quote was shared at our monthly staff meeting this morning.

Old 04-24-2015, 02:35 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about Fruit Salad, I'm talking about Fruit IN salad.

I couple of weeks ago I went to restaurant and had the most amazing salad starter. It comprised of butter lettuce, avacado, radish, small pieces of blood red orange and almonds. The dressing that came with it was amazing but I couldn't work out the flavour so I asked - it was grapefruit vinaigrette! Yum, yum, yum! Delicious. I'm looking for a good recipe to copy for that.

Then yesterday my local supermarket was demonstrating how to make a salad that comprised arugula leaves, mandarin oranges, strawberries, with a dressing made from balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar and garlic then with goats cheese sprinkled on top.
I was extremely skeptical about this concoction but I tasted and WOW! It was amazing.

Strawberries with salad leaves? Up until now I wouldn't have considered putting fruit in salad but now I'm a complete convert. I'm on the lookout for more recipes .

What do people think? (I'm probably very behind the times with the phenomena)
Nah. Most people tend to eat fruit from their meals separately, because fruit requires a different digestion process anyway so it is rather counter-intuitive to add a sweet tarty fruit to salad.

I like adding candied pecans to my salads, and if you like you can slice your fruits thinly so they blend in a bit better with the vinaigrette instead of competing with the main taste.

Thinly sliced apples and candied pecans and rains are really delish, too!

Oh, and broccoli salad..with raisins.. yum!!

Old 04-24-2015, 05:45 AM

19,429 posts, read 15,240,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Nah. Most people tend to eat fruit from their meals separately, because fruit requires a different digestion process anyway so it is rather counter-intuitive to add a sweet tarty fruit to salad.

I like adding candied pecans to my salads, and if you like you can slice your fruits thinly so they blend in a bit better with the vinaigrette instead of competing with the main taste.

Thinly sliced apples and candied pecans and rains are really delish, too!

Oh, and broccoli salad..with raisins.. yum!!
Broccoli, bacon, raisins, almonds, tomato, red pepper flakes, garlic...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink