Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 05:59 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,870,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
While it's wrong for customers to steal, I bet the constant overcharges by grocery stores make up for most of it. Items that are supposed to be on sale ring up at full price and wrong product and produce names or prices are entered, resulting in higher charges. Last week, I was charged $30 for 6 avocados. The guy rang up $5 per, instead of $.50 per. Now an extra $30 is pretty obvious and hard to overlook, but if you have a bunch of items and the cashier is ringing up stuff as you load, it's impossible to keep track. And it's a hassle to have to closely examine every darn receipt and then stand in line at the customer service counter to get a refund. And if you're in a hurry and don't notice the overcharge until you get home (and, as in our case, live quite a ways from the grocery store) a few extra dollars are not worth the hassle.
Two of our local grocery chain stores will give you FREE any item that is entered into the register incorrectly. Over the years I have saved a significant amount of money from this. I was even offered a job by one of these chains as a "mystery shopper" and I did consider it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 06:36 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Apologies to OP - this thread has gone so off topic.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:13 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,549,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Apologies to OP - this thread has gone so off topic.
I don't mind... I am enjoying it.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:40 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
I have never witnessed such a thing. But if I ever do, I am going to inform the cashier of it, because hopefully it would make him/her more conscientious from then on. Problem is, they can't exactly see what's in the carts because of the conveyors, and the counters often don't have a way for them to circle around to scan big / heavy items. You can't get away with that crap at Costco.

Don't know why so many people have been harping on the OP, though. Had I noticed someone stealing or scamming, I wouldn't like it either.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:19 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
no,, that second hand smoke wont kill you...

stealing is stealing..

honesty is the basis of character and integrity

and,,,karma will get you...
I know...it seems much of the thinking now is not "don't steal because it's wrong to take what isn't yours" but "don't steal because you might get caught". Or just plain old "don't get caught".

Old 08-22-2015, 11:23 AM

88,615 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
It's amazing that the "dishonest" person in these posts is always using an EBT card.

I couldn't even tell you what an EBT card looks like in my state and I don't care.

Some people have too much time on their hands and they aren't using that free time checking out their fellow shoppers, but are more likely using that free time to make up stories on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My thoughts exactly, Knox Harrington. I sense another agenda here. One, that to my mind is far more odious than a poor person taking something extra from a store.

I have never seen an EBT card. I am told they look like credit cards. I am not in the habit of peering when card is being swiped - or at the contents of another person's purchase. In fact, I just avert my eyes, because I don't want to seem nosy - or worse.

I've never seen it, and for the reasons mentioned above, I most likely never will.
I join you guys in this. I have no idea what an EBT card looks like, and I don't pay attention to how the people in front of me pay for their food. It's kind of rude.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:37 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,305,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I join you guys in this. I have no idea what an EBT card looks like, and I don't pay attention to how the people in front of me pay for their food. It's kind of rude.
some folks are just paying attention to whats going on around them. not much else to do in checkout line anyway...

Old 08-22-2015, 02:13 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
some folks are just paying attention to whats going on around them. not much else to do in checkout line anyway...
Sure there is. You can watch the doors--armed assault--and check out your fellow shoppers and try to figure out who might be armed or cause trouble.

I don't usually look at other people's baskets, carts or method of payment. If they're stuck at the register trying different cards or counting out cash and change, it's a little hard to not notice.

Old 08-22-2015, 02:34 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
oh sure,,,why not ??

lets just steal anything we want,,a free for all,,

and,,

its not fair my neighbor has more than I ,,so I will steal from that old lady,,,

oh yeah,,,,i know folks who don't even work for a living,,out on disability,,,i think I want that disability too,,,why should I work??
You're totally missing the point of what I was saying. I am saying, ask the right questions and you may get answers that will help you solve the problem. It sounds simple, but so many people don't get that.

For instance, a person might steal because he needs food at home. But ask him under which circumstances he wouldn't steal, and while you might get the same answer, a lot of times you get a totally different answer that helps solve the problem.

By the way, I'm on state disability. Want to trade? I'd love to trade living on $200 a month and being in pain every time I stand for a full time job that pays even just minimum wage. If it were possible, is that what you'd really do? Trade your ability to work for something like $800 a month for the rest of your life, and only getting that after years of applying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink