Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 07:54 PM

10,020 posts, read 8,635,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by summertimecoolbreeze View Post
I was tempted just yesterday to cheat by writing the wrong number which was cheaper (bulk nuts where you write the number). However, it was just a temptation and I didn't do it out of principle. And because even if no one else is watching, God is watching.

Also, I probably would not notice someone doing what you described, because I usually don't stick my face into people's business like that and counting the number of items in their bag to see if they are lying (especially when I'm not the cashier). Maybe I would, but then again I don't think it's your responsibility.

Also, it may have been an innocent mistake. Maybe he did bad math. Maybe, he had the number in his head, and then subtracted one forgetting that he already subtracted one by taking one out.
I too find myself resisting temptation on occasion.
There have been a few times when I would see an armored truck in front of a store unloading bags of money and I would think of how old and slow those guards looked but I know better than to listen to that little guy with the pitchfork that sits on my shoulder. Mainly because I can't run as fast as I once could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2015, 08:49 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Based on some of the responses here, I've come to think of my OP as a bit of a Rorschach test....

Old 08-20-2015, 12:21 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,896,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
I too find myself resisting temptation on occasion.
There have been a few times when I would see an armored truck in front of a store unloading bags of money and I would think of how old and slow those guards looked but I know better than to listen to that little guy with the pitchfork that sits on my shoulder. Mainly because I can't run as fast as I once could.
And you can't run as fast as a bullet, either.

When I was cashiering at the local 7-11, the Armored guys came and were filling up the ATM. A customer walked in and the next thing I heard was, "I just looked at the money. I just looked at it and the guy pointed his gun at me!".

Yeah, the customer had leaned over to look and the guard just casually lifted the barrel of his gun up. They're serious about their job. They know if they get robbed, they'll be put through the wringer in case anyone thinks they had something to do with it. I wouldn't mess with them. Robbing a bank is safer. Tellers are trained to cooperate with robbers.

Old 08-20-2015, 06:03 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
The recent comments on here are perfect examples of some observations that Ive been noting lately on forums. There is some kind of subset of people who, when presented with a topic, will take a stance against the author of said topic regardless of said topic's credibility. In other words no matter what you say, x percentage of the population will disagree with you. For instance the author of this post points out that they witnessed shoplifting, and in response 3 people insinuated that something was wrong with the observer rather than the shoplifting in question. Its truly fascinating.
Yes. I take a stance against posts that are impossible to believe. I don't condone thievery, it's not my business what people on Food Stamps choose to buy with their card, and the cashier should scan each invididual item, and at most stores is required to due to inventory purposes. Oh, and a store's worst thieves are its own employees, not its customers. Internal theft is responsible for more financial losses to retail stores than external theft. (Article below). That's probably why cashiers don't care about scanning what appears to be the same item 5, 7, or 20 times. My wife and I went to Applebee's the other day and the bartender, a guy we're rather friendly with, told us he was training a new bartender to replace one who had been fired for slipping free booze to his friends.

America's Workers Are Out-Stealing America

Old 08-20-2015, 07:32 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Good article.
Another report - 44 billion lost a year:

Why do people steal from stores? - LA Times

Old 08-20-2015, 10:32 AM

2,565 posts, read 1,643,074 times
While it's wrong for customers to steal, I bet the constant overcharges by grocery stores make up for most of it. Items that are supposed to be on sale ring up at full price and wrong product and produce names or prices are entered, resulting in higher charges. Last week, I was charged $30 for 6 avocados. The guy rang up $5 per, instead of $.50 per. Now an extra $30 is pretty obvious and hard to overlook, but if you have a bunch of items and the cashier is ringing up stuff as you load, it's impossible to keep track. And it's a hassle to have to closely examine every darn receipt and then stand in line at the customer service counter to get a refund. And if you're in a hurry and don't notice the overcharge until you get home (and, as in our case, live quite a ways from the grocery store) a few extra dollars are not worth the hassle.

Old 08-20-2015, 11:04 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,014,164 times
I haven't read all the responses but....
I hate theives and have outed people in stores before..
I watched a guy eat a few doughnuts in a grocery store and then I was in line behind him at the front..
I told the cashier in front of him hoping to embarrass the heck out of him...
Why shouldn't he be embarrassed...

When people steal they affect my prices eventually....

I would have had no problem in the OP's situation saying...
" I think you accidentally miscounted the items in your cart"

The cashier may ignore it but at least the theif would have a moment of
discomfort...

Old 08-20-2015, 11:11 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Although it outrages me what some people get away with, I figure I'm not store security. You never know what people might do nowadays. People are half nuts and you don't know which half you're dealing with anymore! Just MYOB, its the safest route!

Old 08-20-2015, 11:21 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
While it's wrong for customers to steal, I bet the constant overcharges by grocery stores make up for most of it. Items that are supposed to be on sale ring up at full price and wrong product and produce names or prices are entered, resulting in higher charges. Last week, I was charged $30 for 6 avocados. The guy rang up $5 per, instead of $.50 per. Now an extra $30 is pretty obvious and hard to overlook, but if you have a bunch of items and the cashier is ringing up stuff as you load, it's impossible to keep track. And it's a hassle to have to closely examine every darn receipt and then stand in line at the customer service counter to get a refund. And if you're in a hurry and don't notice the overcharge until you get home (and, as in our case, live quite a ways from the grocery store) a few extra dollars are not worth the hassle.

I've found HEB to be the worst for this. Someone I know worked there, he said they were evaluated on how many items scanned per minute, regardless of the value. Its common for cashiers to double scan inexpensive items to improve their stats. Especially when you are buying multiples of the same items. I also found when my kids were little the cashiers would distract me by cooing over the kids, asking them how's school, yadda,yadda, give them those Buddy Bucks, whatever, all the while I'm trying to keep track of 100+ items! I finally "fought back" by having my kids go sit down at the benches in front of the line while I counted out the number of items. A few times I made them re-scan the entire purchase, resulting in errors---in my favor!

Groceries are a major budget item. I carefully plan, shop sales, coupons, etc, its a major job. Then, when I get to the checkout line, I'm NOT there to chit chat with the cashier, I'm there o see my hard-earned money is accounted for!

Old 08-20-2015, 11:25 AM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
It's amazing that the "dishonest" person in these posts is always using an EBT card.

I couldn't even tell you what an EBT card looks like in my state and I don't care.

Some people have too much time on their hands and they aren't using that free time checking out their fellow shoppers, but are more likely using that free time to make up stories on the internet.

My thoughts exactly, Knox Harrington. I sense another agenda here. One, that to my mind is far more odious than a poor person taking something extra from a store.

I have never seen an EBT card. I am told they look like credit cards. I am not in the habit of peering when card is being swiped - or at the contents of another person's purchase. In fact, I just avert my eyes, because I don't want to seem nosy - or worse.

I've never seen it, and for the reasons mentioned above, I most likely never will.

Last edited by sheena12; 08-20-2015 at 11:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink