Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 12:20 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,356,421 times

Advertisements

I didn't see "Goober Grape straight-from-the-jar" on the list, so I guess I'm doing o.k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 05:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think the occasional farmed fish will kill anybody, but you mention "the positives of eating fish", which is primarily its omega-3 oil. If you've removed that benefit and replaced it with a potentially harmful fat, what other positives were you thinking of? It is lower in calories, yes, than most meat. I wouldn't say it'seems "richer", though. Seems the opposite. Of course, the richness would vary with the type of fish.
We will continue to disagree on this subject which is fine. That is what CD is about. It is a site to talk, visit, debate and hopefully learn something. It is a wonderful way to hear other ideas and thouhts.

You mention Omega 3, there are studies that claim what you are saying isn't true which is my point. Todays study will be outdated a year from now. Regardless of the debate on Omega 3, Salmon or other farm raised fish are lower in calories than many meats, they are high in protein, farm raised, in my opinion, sometimes are more moist and have more flavor but that depends. Of course eating farm raised won't kill you. In fact it is still a healthy food. The subject of this thread is the most unhealthy foods and I maintain it is a flawed study if things like farmed raised Fish is on the list.

As I have memtionsed, for those who live near the water, how lucky you are. We have to do with what we have and fresh fish, even Cod is $15.00 a lb. Grouper is more expensive, as is Red Snapper as a rule and wow, Sword Fish and Halibut is off the wall. We love fresh fish, regardless of where is was raised, but there is still the balance between what we love and what our budget loves. I do try and stay away from any fish raised in China. The only time I end up getting it is by accident, like last week.

Old 10-06-2015, 06:02 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
OMG....bear with me...my Dad made a grilled cheese with peanut butter, at 8, I said, 'Ick'....
he made me one and now I always put peanut butter on mine ...BUT, I add onions now!!!
Trust me...then dunk into Tomato Soup!......
with an added piece of Heaven....ready? Have Bread & Butter pickles handy!

That IS what I would ask for on Death Row.
Am I understanding you correctly? A grilled cheese sandwich with peanut butter and onions?

Old 10-06-2015, 07:56 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
OMG....bear with me...my Dad made a grilled cheese with peanut butter, at 8, I said, 'Ick'....
he made me one and now I always put peanut butter on mine ...BUT, I add onions now!!!
Trust me...then dunk into Tomato Soup!......
with an added piece of Heaven....ready? Have Bread & Butter pickles handy!

That IS what I would ask for on Death Row.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Am I understanding you correctly? A grilled cheese sandwich with peanut butter and onions?
And then she added the PICKLES!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:01 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I'm am with you on this one: I love grilled cheese and it goes perfect with tomato soup. I even like the idea on onions and pickles on it or I think I would. They are all favorite foods of mine, but dear God, not with peanut butter!!!!!

Old 10-06-2015, 09:47 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Excuse me while I go over here and just live my life to my satisfaction.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:08 AM

6,387 posts, read 6,277,885 times
Most are no Brainers. This one was educational:

"Harmful Ingredients:*Titanium dioxide, trans fats, added sugar

Coffee creamer and sunblock have more in common that you might think. They both contain titanium dioxide, an ultraviolet radiation blocker that doubles as a whitening agent. Besides lurking in many conventional creamers, it’s also found in seemingly ‘healthy’ bottles like So Delicious’ coconut milk-based variety. The additive has been proven to cause liver and tissue damage in mice, and may also have health implications in humans, according to a recent review of the chemical. Coffee creamer is also typically packed with trans fats, often hiding under its lesser-known name: hydrogenated oil. Pretty much all of Coffee Mate’s products have this scary ingredient that has been shown to*diminish memory*in adults under 45 years old. If you’re working hard or don’t want to forget where you parked your car, this is one ingredient you should steer clear of."

Now I know what to use when I'm out of sunblock!

BTW- I think nitrates and MSG are not the boogy men people think. Health news changes all the time and these are being restyled now.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:57 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
Hmm..I must be outdated on B but I did purchase B grade just this season at sugarhouses. So C which used to be commercial grade is totally gone? Sigh I wish they would stop changing, it screws me up!
Some areas are delaying phasing in the new rules, if I remember correctly, NH law on the new grading will not take effect until 2016. VT was one of the leaders and was supposed to have made the change in 2014. I don't know where MA stands on the issue.

LOL, the change is supposed to *reduce* consumer confusion, and it probably will after everyone gets with the new system. Really, it isn't so hard to understand- what was formerly known as Grade 'B' is now the 4th category of Grade 'A', and the 'commercial grade formerly known as Grade 'C' is now known as Grade 'B'. I just had a class on this stuff a couple of weeks ago.

And, actually, there is an additional grade that I didn't mention- "Sub-standard". I have no idea what is supposed to be done, or *can* be done with syrup that receives this grade...feed it to the pigs? Throw it out? Ferment it? Make candy out of it? I dunno...

Old 10-06-2015, 11:57 AM

99,571 posts, read 4,492,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Excuse me while I go over here and just live my life to my satisfaction.
How dare you!

Old 10-06-2015, 12:37 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
I read the article and could not find a single food item on the list. I did see a lot of junk items that I don't consider to be food. Maybe I had the wrong article. Can someone please explain what the 20 food items were?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink