Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:31 PM

7,140 posts, read 12,675,471 times

Advertisements

Just had my first rabbit meat last night. Friends served us rabbit stew. It was delicious...who knew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 04:38 PM

4,800 posts, read 2,804,486 times
Default Flopsy, Mopsy & Peter

Rabbit is good. Just be sure to vary your diet - rabbit meat doesn't contain enough fatty oils - I think it is - to sustain a person long term - you'd have to add or substitute the missing oils.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rabbit_starvation for a discussion of the condition. V. interesting reading.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:50 PM

Not to worry...hardly ever eat meat...mostly a veggie/flexitarian with shades of pecsatarian...take B complex to take up the short fall of B vitamins. I am very healthy.

Thanks for your interesting info, though, in case I hop over and become a bunny-tarian!

Old 11-07-2015, 05:00 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just had my first rabbit meat last night. Friends served us rabbit stew. It was delicious...who knew?

rabbits are very tasty !! growing up in maine ,,,,me and most boys went hunting...we shot, skun and cleaned them when we were in our early teens

bunny burgers....and very good too!!

there's a reason elmer fudd has been hunting rabbits for 70 yrs

Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Rabbit is very nice. It's a mild meat that tastes very clean with no off flavors. I like it a lot better than chicken. It accepts all sorts of different sauces and makes a good combination with just about any sauce.

I use rabbits for just about any nationality of cooking from tacos to curry.

Old 11-08-2015, 03:14 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,650,642 times
I love rabbit. I'm an American, so I didn't eat much of it in the US, but I now live in Flanders, where they eat it a lot. It's delicious. I hope to be able to get rabbit meat when I go back to the States.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:28 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I love rabbit. I'm an American, so I didn't eat much of it in the US, but I now live in Flanders, where they eat it a lot. It's delicious. I hope to be able to get rabbit meat when I go back to the States.
the last rabbitry in maine about 12 years ago was called .. The Last Hop

I believe they would do better today ..

Old 11-08-2015, 08:03 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Me! Me! Pick me! I knew......

My mother had a rabbitry for many years and she oversaw the whole production, from breeding, raising the kittens to butchering and learning how to tan the skins.

When I was small, I loved eating the kidneys.......weird to think of it now.

Ah hasenpfeffer......delicious.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:18 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
the last rabbitry in maine about 12 years ago was called .. The Last Hop

I believe they would do better today ..
I'm thinking about raising rabbits for meat.

I love rabbit. There was a restaurant I used to go to with the Mrs., I always got rabbit and frog legs...I called it a "hoppy meal".

I got to like frog legs as a result of a survival course where the final exam was being dropped on an island and left there for a week. Frogs were the easiest meat to catch, supplemented with some edible roots.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Me! Me! Pick me! I knew......

My mother had a rabbitry for many years and she oversaw the whole production, from breeding, raising the kittens to butchering and learning how to tan the skins.

When I was small, I loved eating the kidneys.......weird to think of it now.

Ah hasenpfeffer......delicious.
You crack me up!

The rabbit meat in the stew was from a local source--a young man who raises and processes the rabbits. It's good to use locally-sourced foods, isn't it?

The flavor reminded me of dark meat chicken thighs--but much less fatty. As someone noted, "no off flavors."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink