Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:03 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoviero View Post
Obviously the title is mostly tongue in cheek, but the premise is sound.

Why is it that the most expensive and coveted foods such as espresso/coffee, alcohol, sushi, cigars, etc. are all acquired tastes?

Obviously there are nearly objectively delicious things that are expensive, like steak, but it seems like by and large the more expensive the category of food, the fewer people like it.
Well, with alcohol after 2-3 shots you're too smashed to care.

Sushi? Never tried it...Can't say either way.

Cigars? I quit smoking,,,no more for me...

coffee...High end is a misnomer, you can get jazzed off jolt cola more than most coffees.

I remember when the song "Down Under" came out and there a line which says "So he gave me a Vegemite sandwich"

A radio jock said that he tried it and it's an "Acquired" taste (Meaning it sucks big at first) but the Aussies love it..,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:18 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
To the people who said flour and sugar kill bacteria, are you being sarcastic?
Absolutely serious. It's one of those little-known facts, like broken cookies have no calories. They all fall out when the cookies break.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:44 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
I found caviar and truffles (the mushroom kind) to be disappointing.
Truffles are highly variable depending on species and ripeness. Many people collect truffles before they develop their flavor. They can be very disappointing. I have had a truffle pastry that was one of the most memorable dishes I have ever tasted. In the fall I eat a lot of chanterelles, and morels in the spring. For Thanksgiving we had turkey stuffing that was loaded with chanterelles, and it was delicious.

I sometimes use lumpfish caviar on green salad as a garnish. Generally caviar is too salty for my taste unless used with something else.

Coffee is only expensive if someone else makes it for you. I have a local roaster who does a great job on pure Arabica beans. It sells for about $7.50/lb., and that is a lot of cups of coffee.

Buckmaster Coffee

I never got into smoking cigars, but I used to smoke a pipe. It tasted and smelled a lot better than cigars for a fraction of the cost. I preferred a mild Cavendish tobacco. The pipes themselves cost quite a bit, and you need more than one to rotate every day or they get bitter. You need a minimum of three, and many pipe smokers keep half a dozen or more.

Prime rib will make me open my wallet once or twice a year, but $50 for a roast is pretty steep.

Other delicacies are fresh Maine lobster, fresh Dungeness crab, fresh coho salmon and fresh ling cod. The thing that makes them expensive is the fresh part. Three days on a fishing boat doesn't do fish any favors, and freezing ruins it.

My one really expensive acquired taste is single malt Scotch whisky. Most of my collection ran about $60 to $80 a bottle. The key to a great liquor cabinet is to buy it, then not drink it. I have one bottle that I bought in 1993 that still has an inch and a half in the bottom.

I admit I had to learn how to drink whisky. It always irritates me when I go to a bar and order whisky neat, some bozo will want to do shots. I'm a two fisted drinker, one fist holds the shot glass and the other fist holds a glass of ice water. If I want to get drunker I sip the whisky more, when I have had enough I sip the ice water more. After the first couple, a drink will last me an hour. I don't want to do shots, no matter how many bad westerns people have seen on TV.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:06 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneye4detail View Post
To the people who said flour and sugar kill bacteria, are you being sarcastic?
I was.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:29 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
The only way I'd agree with this is in reference to very expensive restaurants that serve tiny portions artfully piled up with a swirl of sauce on the plate.

I admit I've never eaten at one, but I watch cooking shows. They always seem to put way too many flavors together that just don't seem to go. Chocolate-avocado chicken with pomegranate-mint sauce, basil-cherry pasta sauce with a cinnamon-salmon vinaigrette salad dressing. ;p

That kind of thing.
LOL! When I was a wee young lady, I started working in a big city. My boss was into the good restaurants. We had so much fun, on his dime thankfully. I don't think cooking shows represent what people really eat, even in nice restaurants. I will take a couple of examples from my recent past.

http://www.omnihotels.com/-/media/im...1115.pdf?la=en

Stayed in Boston recently. This is a pretty upscaley place. There is nothing weird about a shallot and wine reduction with a steak. The braised board was KILLER.

There is a place local to where I live that is pretty damned pricey. We go almost never because of this. It is not that the food is ala foo foo. It is that they raise crazy good beef. The tartare melts in your mouth. Of course, you have to pay ala carte for sides, which cramps my pocket book a little.

Anyway the food tv audience is a different audience than people who actually eat food. That said, I have eaten, hell even done, some combinations that I would never have dreamed would marry so well.

Old 12-07-2015, 01:44 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
They always seem to put way too many flavors together that just don't seem to go. Chocolate-avocado chicken with pomegranate-mint sauce, basil-cherry pasta sauce with a cinnamon-salmon vinaigrette salad dressing. ;p

That kind of thing.
A friend told me about a restaurant he's excited about visiting soon. It's the "hottest restaurant ticket in town," he told me. I looked at the menu online while we were talking, and not one of the things you list here, Murk, would seem out of place on it. All I could think of was "Why?"

I kind of put the menu down, saying, or at least thinking, something like "That's a lot of food on one plate" at least three times. And he responded by saying, "But it's the hottest restaurant in town." And I just kind of let it go. What can you say?

Last edited by jay5835; 12-07-2015 at 02:06 PM..

Old 12-07-2015, 02:50 PM

20,936 posts, read 28,426,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It's gross now? Was it ever good? I think your tastes have changed.
LOL I thought it was good as a kid but as an adult I was like "why did I eat this crap"?

Old 12-07-2015, 06:50 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,462,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
LOL I thought it was good as a kid but as an adult I was like "why did I eat this crap"?
Feel the same about McDonald's chicken nuggets. Also used to eat cream cheese like, an entire damn stick! Can't imagine doing that now. Maybe a few spoonfuls and that's it. Same with condensed milk.

Old 12-07-2015, 09:03 PM

207 posts, read 320,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Try everything. If you like it you get to decide if you want to part with the money to buy it yourself. If you hate it, you just saved some dough!
Except maybe the yellow snow.

Old 12-08-2015, 04:28 PM

190 posts, read 192,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Beluga caviar doesn't come from beluga whale, it comes from beluga sturgeon. Whales are mammals and don't produce roe like fish.
I thought that mammal eggs is what made it so rare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink