Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 10:03 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I have something like the actifryer and I love it. I've made several things in it and it's pretty good. No heating up the house or dealing with grease splatters or disposing of oil. Not to mention health benefits too. Batter fried works fine in mine, made beer battered fish with a tbsp of oil. Awesome.
We still use ours about twice a week. We normally don't fry things due to the clean up/smells etc but this actifryer is awesome. We have now made stir fry in it along with the battered items/French fries/fried mushrooms/dumplings etc.

We also make home fries or hash in it for breakfast too. I am surprised at how much we use it as usually it gets used and then forgotten about. Oh and clean up, super easy.

Okay I am done lauding the uses of the thing.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:32 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you keep it, give us some reviews.

It's been on my "maybe" list for quite awhile. It is on the pricey side.
Amazon appears to have pretty reasonable models. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Ck%3Aair+fryer

Old 04-13-2016, 10:41 AM

48,533 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Amazon appears to have pretty reasonable models. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...Ck%3Aair+fryer
I am dedicated to not buying stuff I won't use and downsizing my kitchen. I'm still on the fence. I hardly ever fry, but love fried food. If this turns out to be a pale comparison I won't use it.

Staying on the fence.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-14-2016, 09:46 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
While going through today's local paper, there was an article that caught my attention before searching "Air Fryer" on CD-Forum (readers' opinions). It was Todd English, "The Air Fryer Cookbook". I then searched Google for top rated reviews. Best Reviews - Top Air Fryers - Updated April 2016. Points - The Good, The Bad and The Bottom Line. I had been at Bed, Bath and Beyond some time back when one of these caught my attention, I believe it may have been the T-Fal Actifry. Plan to do some more reading but the air fryer seems to be a pretty good idea and I may at some point decide to get one. 20% off with a coupon.

There was a remark about being healthy and that one point (I'm sure there is more than one, particularily, if you do end up using any oil [tablespoon?], which oil will you use?) - it's only as healthy as the item that you put in the air fryer to begin with.

Love to hear others experience and what you air fryed and if you used any oil - which one.

Hope the Captain made his chicken fried steak by now
It was an article on Todd English's book that made me curious, too ; hence, reactivating this thread. I am also on the fence. We're trying to reduce our carbs, so the battered stuff doesn't appeal too much.

Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,174,845 times
We actually saw that infomercial and did some research.. Picked one up.

We love it.. Have had it about 2 months and use it a few times a week. Makes awesome breakfast potatoes! One thing my wife made that was killer was "garlic knots"... Then we tried ones with pepperoni in them.. Wowzers!

Old 08-25-2016, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It was an article on Todd English's book that made me curious, too ; hence, reactivating this thread. I am also on the fence. We're trying to reduce our carbs, so the battered stuff doesn't appeal too much.
We are considering one as well. Did you end up buying one and if so, how do you like it? I am so on the fence.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
We are considering one as well. Did you end up buying one and if so, how do you like it? I am so on the fence.
Separated at birth. AGAIN. (insert twilight zone music here).

Nope, still haven't bought one. My current excuse is that I'm out of storage room in my kitchen. That could be solved easily by pitching the 1975 toaster described in this thread. //www.city-data.com/forum/food-...appliance.html

Old 03-31-2017, 07:29 AM

24,579 posts, read 10,884,023 times
I am resurrecting this thread

Have you continued using it? Has it turned into a paper weight? What are frying/baking times compared to conventional methods? Is it something to plug in on the covered porch to cook outside during the warm season? What functions do you recommend? What should I watch out for? Kohl's has a no questions return policy and is nearby.

Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
I am resurrecting this thread

Have you continued using it? Has it turned into a paper weight? What are frying/baking times compared to conventional methods? Is it something to plug in on the covered porch to cook outside during the warm season? What functions do you recommend? What should I watch out for? Kohl's has a no questions return policy and is nearby.
can't anseer about plugging in on the porch but can't think it would hurt it. As for am I happy with mine? ONG, I don't know of many appliances I have ever had I like better. Make sure, if you decide on one, you get a good Air fryer cook book. One more thing, if I have one objection, it doesn't really do french fries that well and it takes some practice to learn to use perfectly.

What functions: I have done everything from veggies to pork chops, salmon, hash browns and so on; rarely disappointed. YOu can even do some desserts; haven't tried that yet.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
can't anseer about plugging in on the porch but can't think it would hurt it. As for am I happy with mine? ONG, I don't know of many appliances I have ever had I like better. Make sure, if you decide on one, you get a good Air fryer cook book. One more thing, if I have one objection, it doesn't really do french fries that well and it takes some practice to learn to use perfectly.

What functions: I have done everything from veggies to pork chops, salmon, hash browns and so on; rarely disappointed. YOu can even do some desserts; haven't tried that yet.
Oh dear. Now I'm gonna have to start rearranging my cabinets to try to fit this new toy someplace.

Which cookbook did you buy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink