Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 12:16 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,883,675 times

Advertisements

They simply circulate hot air. I have a convection oven, so I don't need another counter hog.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:32 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Does anyone use one?

I'm curious as to how they work.

I know it can't replicate the deliciousness of deep fried anything but wondered if it was a decent substitute.
I use mine at least 2 or 3 times a week. I do fried potatoes on Sat morning for breakfast and they actually do brown things while using less oil, mush less. They are great for buffalo wings, making egg rolls, some veggies, and many other things. I don't know what I would do without mine. I didn't know, when I got it for Christmas if I would really like and use it, but I now am in love with mine. Spoiled brat is as well. I will say, french fries are ok, but not great using the air fryer. I have one small complaint, mine is a little small so I can't cook too much in it at once.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:20 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I use mine at least 2 or 3 times a week. I do fried potatoes on Sat morning for breakfast and they actually do brown things while using less oil, mush less. They are great for buffalo wings, making egg rolls, some veggies, and many other things. I don't know what I would do without mine. I didn't know, when I got it for Christmas if I would really like and use it, but I now am in love with mine. Spoiled brat is as well. I will say, french fries are ok, but not great using the air fryer. I have one small complaint, mine is a little small so I can't cook too much in it at once.
Sums up my feelings about it.
My wife likes to buy me all sorts of kitchen gadgets, as she knows I love to cook. She got me this air fryer a year ago, and I wasn't sure about it at first. But now I use it for all sorts of things. steak potatoes/breakfast potatoes/wedges come out perfect with just a brush or two of oil.

With chicken, it comes out as a cross between baked and fried, which is fabulous.

I also crisp wraps in it, as well as "fry" egg rolls. I do have a Nu-Wave Oven as well, which works in a similar way, but I find it to not be as effective in attempting to "fry" foods. I use that one mainly when things need to be baked or broiled.

Old 09-20-2017, 11:27 AM

130,425 posts, read 12,124,678 times
I have one & I love it, it is great for cooking, when it is too hot to use the oven, skin on chicken parts come out delicious as well as pre battered convenience food such as breaded or battered fish. I like it because it will cook something like large chicken breasts fairly quickly & not heat up the kitchen. I do not have room for a lot of kitchen gadgets but I will keep this one, because it does double duty. DH makes those biscuits out of a can for Sunday brunch, & they come out well in that too. I also cook plain fish in it.

eta: I find it makes things like egg rolls or battered fish, much crispier than out of a regular oven.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:36 PM

923 posts, read 527,220 times
It's a convection oven. That's it. The air fryer is something nice to have for single to maybe 2 servings. Family of 4, use the convection oven if yours is equipped.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have one & I love it, it is great for cooking, when it is too hot to use the oven, skin on chicken parts come out delicious as well as pre battered convenience food such as breaded or battered fish. I like it because it will cook something like large chicken breasts fairly quickly & not heat up the kitchen. I do not have room for a lot of kitchen gadgets but I will keep this one, because it does double duty. DH makes those biscuits out of a can for Sunday brunch, & they come out well in that too. I also cook plain fish in it.

eta: I find it makes things like egg rolls or battered fish, much crispier than out of a regular oven.
never thought about doing the canned biscuits, think I will try it next Sunday. Yes, egg rolls are fantastic in them and so much easier than deep frying or even cooking in a hot oven. The only thing I have on my counter anymore is my toaster oven on one side and my hot air fryer and coffee pot on the other. Well, that is if I don't have a bunch of junk to clean up. What I on the counter tops I use all the time.

BTW, Humble and Kind, it isn't quite the same, but yes, similar. and it takes up less room, even the larger ones and is easier to clean.

Old 09-21-2017, 09:07 AM

17,206 posts, read 15,421,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and Kind View Post
It's a convection oven. That's it. The air fryer is something nice to have for single to maybe 2 servings. Family of 4, use the convection oven if yours is equipped.
2 servings? If I fill the basket with cut up potatoes, I have more than enough to feed my family of 5.
I can also fit 4 chicken quarters in there. While not ideal in size, it still does the job at feeding the family. Unless one plans on eating 3 whole potatoes and 2 chicken quarters to himself, along with other stuff prepared on the stove, at which point I'd question said person's dieting habits.

Old 09-25-2017, 06:39 AM

4,189 posts, read 3,404,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Does anyone use one?

I'm curious as to how they work.

I know it can't replicate the deliciousness of deep fried anything but wondered if it was a decent substitute.
We recently got one and have been testing it with all sorts of foods like frozen coconut shrimp, tots, fries, amd fresh baked potatoes, chicken drums, and breast. Works well on all the aforementioned in less time than a conventional oven and doesn't heat the kitchen.

It only did okay with brownies, but I am never cooking drums any other way from now on.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:09 AM

983 posts, read 1,182,171 times
I personally have never used one

Nor have I seen one used in person

I guess they work OK as represented by the few replies already.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:28 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
So I'm a single person. This seems like a good choice for me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink