Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:31 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that many of the loaves of bread I havr bought have soggy bottoms, or eventually get that way. Yet, they don't seem to mold from it, or at least not right away, I actually had a loaf of bread on top of my fridge, oddly enough used as a spare loaf, for about 2-3 months(hard cheap loaf) between buying good bread, like Bunny, of whatever, it never got the soggy bottom. What is with that, I always get as much air from the bag as possible. What's with bread, and the soggy bottom, if it's a type.of mold, it doesn't seem to do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 01:02 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,353,110 times
That bread must be so full of preservatives, it is scary.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:29 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,388,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I've noticed that many of the loaves of bread I havr bought have soggy bottoms, or eventually get that way. Yet, they don't seem to mold from it, or at least not right away, I actually had a loaf of bread on top of my fridge, oddly enough used as a spare loaf, for about 2-3 months(hard cheap loaf) between buying good bread, like Bunny, of whatever, it never got the soggy bottom. What is with that, I always get as much air from the bag as possible. What's with bread, and the soggy bottom, if it's a type.of mold, it doesn't seem to do anything.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:37 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
Sometimes breads have additives designed to keep them from drying out. Propylene glycol is one. Maybe your premium loaves have additives like that and end up too moist in your house.

How long do you usually keep your bread? And do you always keep it on top of the fridge? It's hot on top of some refrigerators and will make bread spoil faster.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:37 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
Same thing here with Wonder bread. It does make me wonder.

I started making my own. Yes, much easier to buy it and people tell me that. But we also don't eat a lot of bread, so why let good stuff mold and wonder when the other will.

LOL

Old 01-12-2016, 01:48 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,154 times
I'm having some bread issues myself - not so much soggy bottoms, but an "off" smell. I'm talking about your store bought stuff - in our case the Jewel brand loaves of white bread, but more noticeably the Butternut bread I purchase. Husband is the primary white, sandwich bread eater in the house, but now and again when I take a slice out, there's an odd "sweetish" smell that is either new, or that I have TOTALLY missed before (but I doubt it). Does anybody else notice an odd smell from their premade white sandwich bread? (This is one reason I buy my OWN bread - generally baguettes/rolls/croissants, etc. from the bakery - I don't eat a lot of sandwiches that would require white bread slices).

As to soggy, I don't notice it on the bottom of bread, I just notice it in the allover texture - it's next to impossible to even make decent French toast with it anymore as it falls apart so easily. I DO know it didn't USED to do that - it was firmer and not as gummy and mushy as it seems to be now.

Finally, my fridge would get WAY to warm to keep bread on top of - I even move it when the dishwasher is running (it usually sits on the counter above the dishwasher).

Old 01-12-2016, 03:37 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times
It's a regular "white rabbits", isn't it?
https://books.google.com/books?id=E7...u-boat&f=false

As it is, I find the only way to decently preserve bread is to freeze it. Mom was notorious for buying day old bread, freezing it, and then when she wanted sandwiches, taking out a few slices and letting them defrost on paper towels on the counter.

For me, leaving bread out would be the death of it in 2 or 3 days, but even in the fridge, two weeks was probably the limit for most loaves.

Old 01-12-2016, 08:30 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,822,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Sometimes breads have additives designed to keep them from drying out. Propylene glycol is one. Maybe your premium loaves have additives like that and end up too moist in your house.

How long do you usually keep your bread? And do you always keep it on top of the fridge? It's hot on top of some refrigerators and will make bread spoil faster.
I don't eat as much as I used to in sandwhiches, so I usually have bread for a while, sometimes a small collection of heads&tails ends up on the fridge. Most bread I get usually doesn't really mold, or start to after about a month, and yeah, I always keep it on top the fridge. The crappy Klosterman bread from the gas station, which is that cheap hard loaf I was talking about, actually last quite a while.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:31 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I keep my bread in the freezer. Its no big deal to pop out a few slices as I need them. We especially like the artisan breads with no preservatives, so it just makes sense.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:05 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Apparently freezing bread is pretty common. Funny because I've always heard never to put bread in the fridge but I guess freezing is the way to go. The comments after this article are interesting too.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/24/di...ning&smtyp=cur
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink