Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 03:00 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,545,986 times

Advertisements

I'm not a picky eater and will try just about everything too.

I was once at a Caribbean resort and decided that I'd try a tablespoon of everything at the buffet. I went around putting little dabs of different foods all over my plate, sat down and started trying it. Most of it was fine and tasty, but one thing I put into my mouth, I immediately regretted.

It tasted like raw oily fish (it wasn't caviar). I still don't know what it was, but it was just gross!!! I can just IMAGINE the look on my face!

I decided to spit it out and reached for a napkin, but then I realized that the napkins were linen. I had a split decision to make... spit it out into the linen napkin anyways, or swallow it down without chewing.

I bravely swallowed her down and learned my lesson not to be so adventurous on my own again. I wondered if I was going to be sick afterwards, but I was ok.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:41 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Well, obviously, a great number do broadcast it - that's how I formed my opinion.
The point is, you have no idea what the ratio of those who broadcast it is to those who don't, because you don't know about the ones who don't.

Quote:
Wait, I might be a picky eater too. I'll only eat insects if I know they've been properly raised and/or purged.
This is actually a good point - almost anyone could be considered a picky eater to someone. I am nowhere near as picky as I used to be, and I know people who are much pickier than me, but I know to some, I am still considered picky. It's all relative.

I just don't understand why people feel the need to judge other people based on what they do or don't eat, as if it's any of their business. Fair enough if they shove it in your face, but what's annoying about that is them shoving it in your face, not that fact that they are picky. I don't do that.

In fact, I once ate something way too spicy for me at a restaurant (it was supposed to just be plain pizza but for some reason the sauce was SUPER spicy - it was like they put red peppers in it or something, and didn't warn people on the menu!) - it almost had me in tears but I covered it up and pretended I liked it and kept eating it.... all because I didn't want the people with me to yet again make fun of me and give me a hard time for not eating spicy foods. Not that I normally shoved it in their face in the past, but normally I would stop eating something that spicy and then of course they'd ask why I'm not eating and I'd have to tell them. And apparently that gives them good reason to disdain and criticize me. So, fed up with this, I just forced myself to eat it instead.

Anyway, it was not only painful to my mouth, but also seriously upset my stomach and I was in agony for hours... but they had no clue. Even my own husband had no clue when I told him later, so it was not my imagination that I covered it well. Perhaps this is why I get so annoyed by people claiming all/most picky eaters like to announce it - on the contrary, I have suffered greatly in my attempts to not let anyone know about it! I'm just so sick of the judgment and people thinking they have a right to comment on my food choices that I not only forced myself to eat something unpleasant to me, but also something which caused me pain for the rest of the night. Is this really what you people think we should do? For all those ragging on picky eaters - what exactly is your suggested solution? We don't choose to have these reactions to certain foods. Yes, I can force myself to eat it anyway and sometimes I do, but why should I have to just to please YOU?

Old 03-18-2016, 03:49 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,691,193 times
Once I was invited to someone's house for dinner. The husband was weird--he announced that he wouldn't be eating the vegetables because he didn't eat anything orange.

That seemed childish and he's missing out on good things.

I won't eat things I really hate--like anything with hot pepper. It hurts my mouth, makes tears run down my face, and ruins my meal. I'd like to taste the food, not be in pain.

Also, things that make me squeamish like animal organs or some types of seafood. I want to know what it IS too. And if it's an insect or snake, no.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:55 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,878,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
The point is, you have no idea what the ratio of those who broadcast it is to those who don't, because you don't know about the ones who don't...
Right, but those who do allow me to form an opinion. Likewise, I have no idea how many folks enjoy eating mealworms, as this isn't something they feel a need to vocalize.

"Would you like a piece of chicken?" "No thanks, I'd rather have mealworms."
"Would you like some mealworms?" "Oh no, I only eat mealworms I raise myself."

Old 03-18-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Once I was invited to someone's house for dinner. The husband was weird--he announced that he wouldn't be eating the vegetables because he didn't eat anything orange.

That seemed childish and he's missing out on good things.
That's the thing though - to him, he's not missing out on anything... there are people who would say you're missing out on good things by not eating foods with hot pepper, or organs, or some types of seafood but to you, that's not the case because to you, those are not good things. Can you not understand how "orange foods" are to him as organs are to you?

I will grant you it's weird that he seems to think all vegetables are orange (or as though no fruits are orange?)... but whatever, it's no skin off my back if he doesn't want to eat anything orange...

Quote:
I won't eat things I really hate--like anything with hot pepper. It hurts my mouth, makes tears run down my face, and ruins my meal. I'd like to taste the food, not be in pain.

Also, things that make me squeamish like animal organs or some types of seafood. I want to know what it IS too. And if it's an insect or snake, no.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:06 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
You're so condescending and unpleasant (the truly appropriate adjectives I could use would get me a two-week timeout), I'm not going to tell you a thing about my brand of pickiness.

Come back when you learn to write without insulting people, pally boy.
I've read many of the OPs posts and they are the definition of a narcissist. Every post is condescending and holier than thou.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:22 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,761,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
I don't know what "goes through my mind" - it's just a reaction. I don't want to try it. I dislike the smell, the appearance, the texture-something. I don't consciously think about it. And I'm old enough now not to be in a position where it happens anymore, or if it does, it's VERY rarely.

Same here. For example, the smell of buffalo wings makes me sick, in restaurants I've had to move to another table a few times because of it.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:27 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,036,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Full disclosure. I'm the opposite of a picky eater. I have never and will never hesitate to eat something new. I'll have a mouth full of it and will enjoy it. I have tried many so-called exotic foods and loved them. Liver, insects, snake, bees, etc. are all good to me.

That said, I do get annoyed when people make a face of disgust at a new food before they even tried it. And I'm not talking about something wildly exotic. I'm talking about something as simple as duck or cheese cut in a different way than they're used to.

I've encountered many picky eaters in my life. While they all have different characteristics to how they won't try something new, the one universal trait I've seen in all is they will make a face of disgust at something new. Again, it could be something as simple as a new kind of spaghetti in an Italian restaurant.

Actually, I took one of my friends out to dinner a couple weeks ago. She's a picky eater. We went to... the Cheesecake Factory. You can't get more mainstream American than that. I ordered something I didn't recognize. It had smashed chicken, pasta, and a tomato-like sauce that I didn't recognize. It was delicious. She didn't recognize the name, so when they brought the dish out she made a face and I could have sworn she said "ew". I offered her to try it and she again made a face. A little later, she decided to try. She cut a tiny little piece of chicken, dipped it in the sauce, made another face, and slowly put it in her mouth.

Ok, my question to picky eaters is this. When you guys see a new food and afraid of it, what goes on in your mind? Do you imagine the taste to be absolutely terrible that it brings about a feeling of disgust? I've had a woman had a gag reflex when she saw my... Vietnamese noodle soup called pho. Later, she claimed she thought she saw eye balls in there...

I'm just curious because I've observed picky eating in so many people and they all seem to have the same trait of making faces of disgust at something new. Is it a natural feeling of disgust?
Many vegetarians who I ate with do that when seeing other people eating meat. Actually they dont realise its their behavior thats disgusting than the food itself. And they give some obscure reason defending themselves citing religion, tradition, culture etc....

I am a veggie too but respect any food and people s taste.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Right, but those who do allow me to form an opinion. Likewise, I have no idea how many folks enjoy eating mealworms, as this isn't something they feel a need to vocalize.

"Would you like a piece of chicken?" "No thanks, I'd rather have mealworms."
"Would you like some mealworms?" "Oh no, I only eat mealworms I raise myself."
I've certainly had people try to convince or pressure me to eat/try things... how is that any better from people who vocalize their dislike for certain foods? They are still trying to push their opinions onto me. Why is it okay for them to do that, but it's not okay for me to try and preempt any attempt to do so by making it clear I won't be eating it? (Again, not that I normally do this, just explaining why maybe some people do). By saying "I won't eat this", I'm just voicing my opinion, but by pressuring me to eat something in particular, they are trying to force me to do something I don't want to do. Surely, that's actually even worse?

Tell you what, if people stop trying to pressure me, stop making fun of me, stop looking down on me in disgust like I'm a piece a dirt on their shoe just because I don't like everything they like or don't want to try everything they will try, I will stop mentioning that I don't like and won't eat this or that food. Deal?

Last edited by PA2UK; 03-18-2016 at 05:58 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 05:52 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,596,004 times
I think the OP and I have different definitions of what constitutes being a picky eater. To me, a picky eater is someone who has a long list of foods s/he won't eat, possibly multiple food categories or food prep styles s/he won't eat, and heartily resists trying new foods.

What the OP describes sounds more like people who have low exposure and weren't encouraged to try new foods. It makes sense to me that they might be hesitant/ look concerned to try new foods and might not end up enjoying as many foods and prep styles as more experienced and adventurous eaters do. Still, though, there are all sorts of foods they do enjoy and they're willing to try new foods too. To me, that's not picky.

The gagging sounds and pulling big *ewww* faces are another thing entirely. IMO that's uncalled for, childish, and rude. My standard is never to say anything negative about food that someone else is enjoying at the moment. In casual conversation, I might say I can't stand cilantro, but would never mention it while they were dousing something with cilantro sauce. Ech.

My *pickiness* about cilantro? My taste receptors are highly sensitive to it - it makes my mouth water in a bad way. There are some other foods I don't like but not like I don't like cilantro. Cilantro is the only food I'll taste and probably look like I'm about to cry . Ok, maybe not cry but I probably look crestfallen. I eat a lot of cuisines that use cilantro, though, so I think I might be developing tolerance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink