Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 03:41 PM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times

Advertisements

Regarding hoagies, or as most here call them, 'subs': I'm glad I live in Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2016, 07:05 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Just had Jersey Mikes , pretty tasty. I've had it before , but they were actually out of white bread this time, which is crazy if you think about it ..but they had a rosemary bread that was good!
They have an app and I placed and paid for the order on there. A lady from the store actually called me and asked if I wanted a different bread, which was nice.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:26 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Just had Jersey Mikes , pretty tasty. I've had it before , but they were actually out of white bread this time, which is crazy if you think about it ..but they had a rosemary bread that was good!
They have an app and I placed and paid for the order on there. A lady from the store actually called me and asked if I wanted a different bread, which was nice.
So what do you usually get? I would love it if the had a peanut butter and jelly sub, with your choice of jelly or Jam, smooth, or chunky.....yummmmm

Old 05-15-2016, 05:24 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,458,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
So what do you usually get? I would love it if the had a peanut butter and jelly sub, with your choice of jelly or Jam, smooth, or chunky.....yummmmm
PB&J with lettuce, tomato and onion?

Old 05-15-2016, 05:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
I haven't tried any of the chains listed except Subway and its been at least ten years since I have been in one. Not a snob about that sort of thing but with so many good local places it seems silly to go to a chain.

Wegman's subs are crazy good. I don't have one too close to me but I make to stop when I am near one. Me and my husband split the Danny's Special most times. The largest size is huge!
I think good places depend, again, on where you live. A restaurant, regardless of the kind in only as good as the person running. In my opinion, be glad you haven't been to Subway for 10 years. They were decent then. Yes, independent restaurant are often better than chains. We are inclined to use chains when traveling because we have some idea what to expect or when we are given gift cards.

Old 05-30-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think good places depend, again, on where you live. A restaurant, regardless of the kind in only as good as the person running. In my opinion, be glad you haven't been to Subway for 10 years. They were decent then. Yes, independent restaurant are often better than chains. We are inclined to use chains when traveling because we have some idea what to expect or when we are given gift cards.
I dont know why...but I just cant bring myself to go to subway anymore..its weird..After eating at Port of subs and Jersey Mikes, i just cant go back to subway..

Old 05-31-2016, 07:10 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
Back in the day, like 50 years ago, there were lots of ethnic restaurants in the city where we got "grinders" from real live Italians from the old country. No sub on earth has ever come close to those.
I try to recreate them, and have come pretty close. There was lots of lettuce, onion and thinly sliced tomatoes, dripping with a mild oil and vinegar dressing, oregano and salt and pepper, then loaded up with the usual spicy meats and cheese on a roll which was perfection.
The chains have the ingredients, but there's no love and care in them.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:24 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Back in the day, like 50 years ago, there were lots of ethnic restaurants in the city where we got "grinders" from real live Italians from the old country. No sub on earth has ever come close to those.
I try to recreate them, and have come pretty close. There was lots of lettuce, onion and thinly sliced tomatoes, dripping with a mild oil and vinegar dressing, oregano and salt and pepper, then loaded up with the usual spicy meats and cheese on a roll which was perfection.
The chains have the ingredients, but there's no love and care in them.
they still exist but harder to find. italian neighborhoods in philadelphia and the outer boroughs of ny still make them old school. it's really about the bread too.

Old 05-31-2016, 07:43 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post

Blimpie is ok, but used to be the best like 10-20 years ago. Their quality went down, and they closed up in all of NYC. .
There used to be a Blimpie across the street from me when I was growing up and it closed down a long time ago. A few years ago, they opened one in my area of NYC but I have never gone in there to see how it is. I have so many food options in my neighborhood alone it's not at the top of the list.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
There used to be a Blimpie across the street from me when I was growing up and it closed down a long time ago. A few years ago, they opened one in my area of NYC but I have never gone in there to see how it is. I have so many food options in my neighborhood alone it's not at the top of the list.
Wow, i guess i should feel lucky, the re is a Blimpie subs about a mile from where I live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink