Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:09 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux
At a party -- what do you hope is served?
Something that I like! (Alot of stuff I look out for (I USUALLY ALWAYS TRY TO READ THE INGREDIENTS -- YA HAVE TO THESE DAYS!!))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 11:37 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I'm pretty easy, I like those little cocktail franks wrapped an pastry..

Old 06-23-2016, 11:43 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,874,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I'm pretty easy, I like those little cocktail franks wrapped an pastry..
Yeah, Pigs in Blankets are very good.

Old 06-24-2016, 12:21 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
mmmmmmmmm I havent had pigs in along time!!!

Old 06-24-2016, 05:09 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,775,796 times
My favorite is boiled shrimp followed by anything wrapped in tortillias, lettece, rice paper, then sliced and served with dipping sauce.
Mixed nuts and fresh fruit trays.
I always serve the above and go to a deli and purchase high quality cold cuts. Salami, ham, smoked turkey and a variaty of cheese, fruit and veggies.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:37 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Rich, decadent types of food in bite sizes so I can nibble and not feel guilty! No crudite - shudder! And while a cookout is fine, that's not what I usually think of as a "party" - a party is yummy cocktail food.

Old 06-24-2016, 08:55 AM

2,035 posts, read 3,351,327 times
Pizza and beer! Especially home-made white pizzas! (crust does not have to be homemade)

But i'm not a fancy-type person

I do LOVE an appetizer that my sister makes - it's store-bought puff pastry, with goat cheese and raspberry (I believe) preserves inside. Very easy and you can eat many, many lol. (oh, and you put a piece of green onion (scallion) on top)

And/or ANYthing shrimp!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:38 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
I'd have to say:

Chips and Salsa (husband especially loves this - and the 7 layer salsa type dip works for him too)
Cold Shrimp with Sauce (to dip it in)
Pigs in Blankets
Swedish Meatballs
Potato Chips and French Onion Dip (I prefer Dean's but home made is usually really good too. We're just used to Dean's.)
Crudite - with Dill Dip (preferably) or Ranch (I LOVE Dill Dip)
Hanky Panky's
Mini Quiches
Mini Ruebens (Husband's favorite)
Cheeseball with Crackers (another me favorite)
Stuffed Mushrooms
Cold Marinated Tomatoes/Cucumbers/Onions (especially cucumbers)
A Shot Glass of Gazpacho (Now I'm reaching - I did that for one party ONCE - what a pain in the butt! )

ETA - Bruschetta! I can't believe I forgot Bruschetta!!!!

Old 06-24-2016, 11:44 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
Honeydew balls doused with tequila!
Oh yum!

I love any effort and am not picky. When the crew is at my house they always seem to expect some kind of awesome homemade dessert. I think I've spoiled them. And one boy has to have chocolate (he's my favorite).

It just depends on what kind of party, what time of year, and who is coming. Better have plain hot dogs for the grandkiddo (kosher, of course).

Old 06-24-2016, 12:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Happy to see small bites of things so I don't get burned by taking a full sized something that turns out to not be tasty to me. The worst thing to see at a party, for me, is waste.

So platters of canapés or other hors d'oeuvres are welcome at a dinner party.

Love to see pizza if it's an informal dinner. Even bad pizza is ok for me, I'm not that fussy. I can appreciate quality homemade stuff but I will even eat the cheapest store bought Mama Celeste type stuff too. The only way I've seen pizza inedible was when it was burned. Toppings don't scare me either - I've had jalapeños, pineapple, mushrooms, artichoke, spinach, all kinds of meats and sausages, fried eggs, cut corn, anchovies, onions, sliced garlic, tuna, shrimp, you name it on top of my pizza and it was all ok with me.

However, my experience has been that most people don't realize how bad their mac and cheese is. I've had several people sing the praises of their mac and cheese and many times I come to find it involves cooked macaroni noodles layered with shredded cheese and warmed in an oven or microwave. Once was served mac and cheese and the guy tried to make a crumb topping before baking but used fresh bread cut in huge cubes which turned soggy in the baking process (I'm not even sure how that happens, but it did) - and he had chunks of bulk sausage mixed into it too. *shudder*
nothing is as bad as eating mac and cheese that really isn't prepared well. and yes, most people do not know how to make it properly. Of course mine is the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink